My 1st AR!!!

This is a discussion on My 1st AR!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've blown a lot of money on the "perfect AR" setup, and you know what, I'm kinda coming back to less is more. Play with ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My 1st AR!!!

I've blown a lot of money on the "perfect AR" setup, and you know what, I'm kinda coming back to less is more. Play with it, spend the money on ammo, and decide what you want to use it for. fun / home defense - you probably won't want a magnified scope, It all depends on what you want. the Smith's are nice AR's

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Nice gun. Ammo and mags first.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Hope you get many more!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    congrats

stock up on ammo
    get more pmags
    a TLR-1 will fit nicely on the quad rail (can operate with your thumb easily)
    optic--aimpoint or eotech--where you can still co-witness those iron sights in case of failure....AND PRACTICE WITH BOTH!
    and as others suggested...spare parts
    Thanks for your input. I have a range day planned on Friday to get better acclimated. I appreciate the product suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    120 rounds? Keep it "dirty"
    500 round cleaning as suggested by another knowledgable poster perhaps? Thanks

Ammo and mag shopping set for tomorrow BTW!!!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DurrtyBoy View Post
    I went through about 120 rounds today. Should you clean between every range visit or should you reach a specific round count before cleanings?
    Give the bolt and bolt carrier a very good lube afterwards. Also make sure to disassemble the bolt, firing pin, and cotter pin, from the bolt carrier. For the bolt remove the extractor pin, extractor, and extractor spring. They should me done when you clean and oil them. Also, be careful not to brush or damage the 3 gas rings (should be staggered) on the bolt. If the gas rings are messed up, it will no longer a self-loading rifle. Just last Saturday, I also did 120 rds. from my RRA LAR-15 from prone. Also experienced my first jam but it was b/c of the sand on one of the ammo. It was windy that day and it blew some sand on my rifle. But glad it didn't affect it internally since I kept the dust cover closed in between breaks.
    From personal experience and knowledge, I would also recommend replacing your extractor spring and recoil buffer rod every 5,000 rds. Also replace the extractor as well as the recoil buffer spring every 10,000 rds. This goes to show you why it is also important to log on how many rds. you live fired as well as buy extra AR-15 spare parts. Also, if you buy AR-15 spare parts, make sure it is directly from the maunfacturer of your brand of AR-15 as buying spare AR-15 parts from a different source may affect the tolerance and reliability of your AR-15. Again, it is what it is.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DurrtyBoy View Post
    Ammo and mag shopping set for tomorrow BTW!!!
    Outstanding!! I can never forgot the faces of those shoppers when I filled up my shopping cart full of AR-15 accessories, including 24 magazines and 250 rds. of .223 (now I use 5.56mm to keep it real), while I used that time to shop as I waited for my background checks to get approved before I bought my AR-15. They thought I was on a mission (lol).

Thanks for the tips Storm.....I plan on keeping track of rounds fired so I will know when to make the appropriate part replacements and I will be sure to purchase only S&W parts

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Nice. Enjoy. Ammo & Mags. More range time. Yea, have fun. I just got my first one about a month ago.
    SCGunLover1

I'm a Spike's Tactical guy, but congratulations on getting in on the club. Don't be too paranoid about S&W only parts (unless the rifle requires them and I'm just not aware), just buy quality milspec parts from reputable manufacturers and you'll be fine.

Mags and ammo. Buy Magpul mags, forget crappy aluminum ones.

Learn to shoot it with the irons. Think EOTech for optics for the use you've mentioned, the 512 is available from SportOptics shipped for $385. Surefire weapon lights are nice, but a Streamlight TLR-1 will do the job for hundreds less. Honestly, the trick is not to overload it with every available accessory. Add the accessories you need for the applications you intend, otherwise it will end up grossly overweight and no fun to shoot.

Lastly, get ready to buy your next one. Resistance is futile.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Nice gun, Iv'e got the bug just bought the mag book of the ar-15 but its gonna be awhile probably next year..... unless I piece it together... but on the bright side my son went into the navy last week and left his...LOL
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Ammo, ammo and then more ammo - lots of mags too! Congrats! I just got this sling for my Sig Classic 556: V-TAC QUICK ADJUST SLING - Brownells
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post

Learn to shoot it with the irons. Think EOTech for optics for the use you've mentioned, the 512 is available from SportOptics shipped for $385. Surefire weapon lights are nice, but a Streamlight TLR-1 will do the job for hundreds less. Honestly, the trick is not to overload it with every available accessory. Add the accessories you need for the applications you intend, otherwise it will end up grossly overweight and no fun to shoot.

Lastly, get ready to buy your next one. Resistance is futile.
    Good optics and a good light are really the only things I think I may need after researching here and on some of the other sites (good sling too)

Already thinking of a nice .308 one day at a time though

Read up on AR15.com or arfcom as it's called. Lots of good info on maintaining, zeroing, modifying or building ARs. Looks like a sweet setup. I have an M4gery that I built the lower from a stripped lower reciever, lower parts kit, buffer tube, etc, and found a mint Rock River flattop upper. The rifle is capable of a lot more accuracy than I am. LOL. Congrats on your new EBR. Evil Black Rifle.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Congrats on the new M&P, I just picked up the "Sport" version myself a few weeks ago. Regarding the fun factor; I couldn't agree more. Awesome amount of fun to shoot. I'v already stocked up the safe with ammo, mags and am going to follow the advice of the others regarding additional parts. Not really worrying about the availability, but more so regarding the down time of one of my favorite firearms should something break. My only suggestion would be; if you're going to use it for home defense be sure to get the right kind of ammo for it. The regular FMJ stuff will easily penetrate several interior walls, even in .223. I reserve the HD job for my 12 gauge, but will admit that having 30 rounds on hand in a crunch is very comforting.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links