My 1st AR!!! - Page 4

My 1st AR!!!

This is a discussion on My 1st AR!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin Congrats on the new M&P, I just picked up the "Sport" version myself a few weeks ago. Regarding the fun factor; ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My 1st AR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Congrats on the new M&P, I just picked up the "Sport" version myself a few weeks ago. Regarding the fun factor; I couldn't agree more. Awesome amount of fun to shoot. I'v already stocked up the safe with ammo, mags and am going to follow the advice of the others regarding additional parts. Not really worrying about the availability, but more so regarding the down time of one of my favorite firearms should something break. My only suggestion would be; if you're going to use it for home defense be sure to get the right kind of ammo for it. The regular FMJ stuff will easily penetrate several interior walls, even in .223. I reserve the HD job for my 12 gauge, but will admit that having 30 rounds on hand in a crunch is very comforting.
    Good point. May source a soft/hollow point round or maybe a frangible. FMJ would be a bit sketchy in the suburban jungle

memorial day sales coming up.

get a good sling, like Troy/VTAC
    perhaps get a good red dot if you fancy. primary arms has good deals, of course amazon, skdtac.

If you are using 00 Buck in your shotty, it might even penetrate MORE than .223. Just something to think about. I read a study that said the .223 tends to fragment pretty quickly after striking drywall. My logical side says I don't wan't any of my friends, family, or neighbors seperated by only a few interior (not that the exterior walls are much better) walls from incoming fire.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    If you are using 00 Buck in your shotty, it might even penetrate MORE than .223. Just something to think about. I read a study that said the .223 tends to fragment pretty quickly after striking drywall. My logical side says I don't wan't any of my friends, family, or neighbors seperated by only a few interior (not that the exterior walls are much better) walls from incoming fire.
    Typical buckshot and slugs (and most handgun rounds) generally pose more risk after penetrating interior/exterior walls than 5.56. A load like TAP 75gr is one of the best available for home defense. Mk262 is a good choice, along with any other quality OTM. These will generally be less deadly after impacting a barrier like a wall, car door, etc., yet more deadly/effective that any handgun ammunition on soft targets.

Other loads like Winchester Bonded, my personal favorite TSX, Speer Gold Dot and other bonded loads don't fragment, they rely on expansion and are designed to defeat intermediate barriers, so they pose similar risks as handgun loads. FMJ will vary.

The bonded loads are some of the best choice when penetration of walls is not a concern and when confronted by intermediate barriers like auto glass (TSX 50gr is the boss right now) car doors, etc. Almost all typical 5.56 loads will be effective against soft armor, unlike typical handgun and shotgun loads.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; May 28th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the ammo options, I was looking at Winchester PDX1 for home defense. Researching a few of the options you mentioned and I see many are battle tested/battle approved choices.

Quote Originally Posted by DurrtyBoy View Post
    Thanks for the ammo options, I was looking at Winchester PDX1 for home defense. Researching a few of the options you mentioned and I see many are battle tested/battle approved choices.
    PDX1 will be ok, but I'd go for 75gr TAP or 50gr TSX. Those are two of the best available.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Jon how do you feel about the 69 Sierra M-King? It shoots so well in my rifle that I've been thinking about using it for HD as well.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    PDX1 will be ok, but I'd go for 75gr TAP or 50gr TSX. Those are two of the best available.
    I appreciate the suggestions - I will probably end up going with 75gr TAP

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Jon how do you feel about the 69 Sierra M-King? It shoots so well in my rifle that I've been thinking about using it for HD as well.
    The 69gr SMK is adequate for defensive use and is a good choice if your rifle won't stabilize the heavier/longer loads. Now, for home defense only, you can still get away with using the heavier loads as the max distance will be short enough that stabilization won't make a difference.

The 77gr Match King is the bullet used in Mk262 Mod 0. Mod 1 versions have a cannelure which helps with fragmentation.

If you're loading it yourself, I'd load it as hot as possible. The 69gr SMK is on Dr Gary Roberts recommended list for rifles that don't stabilize heavy loads and where barrier penetration is not a concern.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The 69gr SMK is adequate for defensive use and is a good choice if your rifle won't stabilize the heavier/longer loads. Now, for home defense only, you can still get away with using the heavier loads as the max distance will be short enough that stabilization won't make a difference.

The 77gr Match King is the bullet used in Mk262 Mod 0. Mod 1 versions have a cannelure which helps with fragmentation.

If you're loading it yourself, I'd load it as hot as possible. The 69gr SMK is on Dr Gary Roberts recommended list for rifles that don't stabilize heavy loads and where barrier penetration is not a concern.
    I have some 77 grainers in there now. For the distance work two of my rifles really eat up the Federal GM match with the 69 grain bullets. My DM rifle LOVES the 69 MK bullets (and so does my M&P). I haven't shot the new one enough to know what it likes best yet.

I was hoping to stock less types of ammo and standardize on one "do it all" round.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Glad to see another S&W rifle getting some use! As for what to do to it, I'd say a good set of optics, lots of magazines (I'm up to 14 total), and boxes of ammo. Walmart has a pretty good deal on Tula .223 if you can find it. I'm fighting with another happy AR owner here for everything Walmart can stock. Seems like he beats me to it every time! People will tell you not to run steel case ammo in an AR, but it's all BS. Invest in a chamber brush and you can shoot all you want. I've run several thousand rounds of Tula through mine and only had one stuck case, hence the chamber brush.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have some 77 grainers in there now. For the distance work two of my rifles really eat up the Federal GM match with the 69 grain bullets. My DM rifle LOVES the 69 MK bullets (and so does my M&P). I haven't shot the new one enough to know what it likes best yet.

I was hoping to stock less types of ammo and standardize on one "do it all" round.
    Look at the 50 and 70gr TSX. That stuff should perform well in all your rifles, though you may lose some accuracy over the SMK.

VIP Member
    OK, thanks Jon.

Congrats on the new AR but beware, you are on a downward slippery slope! Lol. Black rifle disease is very strong haha.

Thumbs up

congrats..I also just picked up my second m4 carbine....got the yankee hill version of the upper and lower...citidel barrel and a whole mess of other stuff including the red/green mil dot site....took it to the range and fired off about 250 rnds ...gotta get more mags though.......
    also put on a single point sling......

shoot it or you won't be enjoying it...

Steve
    Tap-Rack-Bang
    that's all you need to remember..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links