Optics question to those with military experience

This is a discussion on Optics question to those with military experience within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by buckeye .45 What about a 4x with an offset red dot? Or a red dot with a magnifier? Hmmm... I hadn't though ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Optics question to those with military experience

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    What about a 4x with an offset red dot?

Or a red dot with a magnifier?
    Hmmm... I hadn't though of a 4x with a of set red dot...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

You can either offset to a side, at a 45 degree angle, or have it on top of the optic, which would use a similar hold to if you were going to look over the sight and use the front sight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like an Aimpoint with a magnifier option for everything form up close to 400 or so and I can keep tight groups. My ACOG sees little use and I do a lot of hog hunting. I think if you spend some time on a red dot and get your confidence up, you'll be able to keep groups almost as tight as you would with an ACOG.

Here's a target using the magazine as a monopod firing ten rounds pretty quick. This is about the max for my barrel and that particular ammo. No magnifier was used. At 200, it about doubles, or a little more due to me.

The only time I use the ACOG is when I know most of my shooting will be at 200 meters or more for the entire day. I've been through all kinds of optic combinations and for what I do, the Aimpoint with a magnifier option is what works best. Most of my shooting involves movement and is relatively close, plus I work a lot in shoot houses. So, I've settled in quite happily with a red dot for just about everything.

Here's an ACOG and a T1 with a magnifier mount. The ACOG is very light for what it is, but the T1 is lighter (adding the magnifier brings that up of course)

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I like flip-to-side mounts of magnifiers. I used to use one and really liked it with my Eotech. When I switched to an Aimpoint C3, the addition of the magnifier made the rifle very bulky and heavy so I took it off. An Aimpoint Micro, or a compact Eotech works great with flip-to-side magnifiers. The magnifier is always there if you need it and a quick flick off to the side when you don't. But they do add bulk and weight which is why I say only use them with Micro's or the XPS style Eotech's.

Plus the flip-to-side LaRue magnifier mount is QD, so you can completely remove it as easy as the twist mount base. I need to invest in some LaRue FTS mounts eventually.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Hmmm... I hadn't though of a 4x with a of set red dot...
    You can offset an Aimpoint T1, a trijicon mini RMR (which would be my choice for an offset red dot), or irons. Surefire makes a fixed set and KAC makes an ultra low profile offset folding sight set.

These are designed to mount on the ACOG...they are only 1.2oz...for close in engagement.

Going to mount one on this gun...this weekend.

Amazon.com: Trijicon RMR Sight 3.25 MOA with RM38: Sports & Outdoors
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    These are designed to mount on the ACOG...they are only 1.2oz...for close in engagement.

Going to mount one on this gun...this weekend.

Amazon.com: Trijicon RMR Sight 3.25 MOA with RM38: Sports & Outdoors
    Not to derail Rollo's thread, but why would you have the rear sight so far forward? I can't imagine it gives you any easier of a time looking through the aperture, and you are voluntarily shortening the sight radius on your shotgun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sorry....my military experience precedes all of the high tech and good stuff our current soldiers have at hand. Most of which I am not willing to pay the current price for now. Old school, but not completely ignorant. Too old to re-up for the benefits.

Not to derail Rollo's thread, but why would you have the rear sight so far forward? I can't imagine it gives you any easier of a time looking through the aperture, and you are voluntarily shortening the sight radius on your shotgun.
    It came from factory that way.....I will move it. Just got this gun today.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    It came from factory that way.....I will move it. Just got this gun today.
    Okay, mine sits at the back of the rail, make sure you put some blue loc-tite on both the rail screws, and the sight. Make sure the front sight post is not canted, I haven't heard of one lately that came canted, but some in the earlier runs did.

There are a few sling mounting options, and some light mounting options if either of those interest you. And mostly, enjoy. I routinely shoot informal clays with my 930 SPX, and once you figure out the proper sight picture, it can do quite well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links