Need AR cleaning help. - Page 2

Need AR cleaning help.

This is a discussion on Need AR cleaning help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, well for everybody else, please listen to the experts and never use power tools to clean an AR. Please follow the link I posted ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need AR cleaning help.

Ok, well for everybody else, please listen to the experts and never use power tools to clean an AR. Please follow the link I posted above if you're unsure of how to clean your rifle. There are numerous threads where someone is asking for help with some type of issue with their AR. After many questions, we come to find out they use power tools for cleaning and all it takes is a little slip to do some damage.

Generally speaking, you really don't need to thoroughly clean an AR but every thousand rounds or more. Between those cleanings, all that's needed is a quick wipe down of the bolt carrier group and internals, then a liberal amount of quality lube until the next time.

You can shoot an AR until the bolt sheers a lug without ever cleaning the tail and there will be no problems due to this. There's nothing wrong with cleaning it after every range session, if that's your thing, but it's certainly not needed. Just use the proper tools when cleaning.

A comment heard often is it shouldn't take more than 15 to 20 minutes for a complete cleaning. I've never once had a failure due to a dirty AR, thugh I have had them feel a little sluggish after a couple thousand rounds of nothing more than adding lube.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The only thing I really clean to a shine after each use is the firing pin.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Johnson/evinrude engine tune up. you can buy it in a spray can. Take that carbon right off.

"...please listen to the experts and never use power tools to clean an AR."

Whoa! Say it isn't so!

I keep my AR 15 fastidiously clean but I don't like cleaning it for some reason. No power tools need apply though. I'll have to check into your link, John. I must be missing something.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links