Need AR cleaning help.

This is a discussion on Need AR cleaning help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need some suggestions for a good carbon scraping tool for bolt and bolt carrier. Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need AR cleaning help.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Need AR cleaning help.

I need some suggestions for a good carbon scraping tool for bolt and bolt carrier. Thanks.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Otis,we use to get about 3 on every tod,you can buy an A.R.specific kit for about 35.00.

You don't need to scrape the carbon on the bolt, especially the tail. Just wipe the bolt body off along with the lugs, douse it with lube and drive on. The tail just floats inside the carrier. It could have literally a 1/4" coating of carbon on it and it wouldn't change a thing. Scraping it can actually do more damage over time that just a wipe down.

Still need the right tools, just don't overdo it . I'll link a thread that details this a bit better.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    CRT-15 tool. It works great.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

jonc has the answer - save your money. The carbon will show up but it doesn't get in the way.

A lot of folks are over-concerned with white-glove cleanliness in their ARs. A bore snake and a chamber brush are about all you need to keep your gun clean.
    jbum and ANGLICO like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

sgb
    I never scape carbon, I soak the bolt carrier assembly in hoppe's for a day wipe dry and lube.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsor
    You guys actually clean your ARs?

Bore snake, spray the BCG with Gun Scrubber, lube and fire.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I also use an electrosonic cleaner. I realize that it is probably uneccesary to clean perfectly, but I find cleaning my guns a relaxing exercise. It gives me time in my workshop, got some tunes going, maybe a beer. It is really more to me than getting the gun clean.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Stripper clip for the flats inside the BC

Wire brush works fine for me. A stiff wire brush mind you. Best thing to do cleaning an AR is when it's still warm IMO.

For really heavy carbon build up and no time to do the overnight Hopps soak I have found success with break parts cleaner, then using the Hopps after, then just lube and go.
    I want, what they want, and every other guy who came over here and spilled his guts and gave everything he had, wants! For our country to love us as much as we love it! That's what I want!
    - Rambo, John J.

Cant believe im giving away my secret here.... Secure a bore brush into a cordless drill (a brush you dont mind destroying...cuz this will mess up the bristles). Turn on the drill so the bore brush is like a grinding wheel. Run the bolt across the spinning brush. It'll turn shiny in about 4 seconds. For the chamber (the star fish looking thing where the rounds go), get a chamber brush (brass bristles with the little skirt looking thing). Put that on an extension rod, then into the drill. Stick it in the chamber and let that drill fly. That star fish will be shiny clean in just a few seconds. Just clean up the dust it leaves.

Using a bore brush in a drill is not generally looked upon as a good idea.

After a quick search - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105208
    sgb likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

^ Maybe not ideal, but I feel alot better about running brass across it than that bolt cleaning tool. That seems pretty aggressive. I've run about 10k rounds through mine, and its been cleaned in this manner probably 40 or 50 times (every time its fired). Never a hiccup. If it does effect the performance I havent noticed it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links