What about frangibles as Self Defense loads for the house?

This is a discussion on What about frangibles as Self Defense loads for the house? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was at the local indoor range and shotguns & other long guns are OK if you use frangible loads. So of course, I did. And ...

Thread: What about frangibles as Self Defense loads for the house?

What about frangibles as Self Defense loads for the house?

Was at the local indoor range and shotguns & other long guns are OK if you use frangible loads.

So of course, I did. And it puts a damn nice hole in the paper target like a wadcutter...but significantly larger!

And since it would break up hitting something solid, I'd guess for penetration of the drywall/house it would definitely be less of a problem than a slug or even 00 shot.

So I'm thinking it would be a good first round or two in the shottie for self defense and the neighbors would be at a lower risk of having to file claims for holes in their houses.

Just thinking and looking for those with wiser/more experienced minds to comment.

Thanks.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

2. Remove Ads

Someone posted this link in a thread regarding penetration in an apartment (can't remeber who right now), there are some frangible rounds tested - however no magsafe was tested:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm

MagSafe is all I load in my primary mag for my carry weapon with more conventional rounds in the sp mag. I like RBCD, MagSafe and Glaser (Silver). But tooooooo DANG EXPENSIVE to plink with! Whew!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Tks.

Didn't even know about Magsafe and they are just "down the road"

Will have to get some .

Lew
    Good Lord! That box of truth was very cool. .45-70? gotta get one now....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

If over penetration is a concern, load up with #8 game load or even bird shot. In close "in-home" situations even bird shot will stop the problem quickly when administered in 12gage form. That said, the best for a shotty is still buckshot.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Sometime back, one of the gun rags tested defensive frangible ammo for over-penettation. What they found was that most penetated walls just fine and a couple partially or completely penetrated cinderblocks!

After gel tests, what they found was that none over-penetrated walls after passing through the gel that simulated a human torso...which was about the same result with regular ball and hollowpoint ammo (all pistol, of course.

Conclusion: claims of not over-penetrating walls were only consistently met if the rounds first passed through a person. In other words, missed shots still pose a wall over-penetration risk.

ExSoldier, we should see if a few forum members would like to pitch in and send the Box of Truth guy some money for him to test the magsafe rounds - I think the AR15 forum members already did it whith the frangible ammo. Any one in?

I'd send a couple boxes of 12 ga frangibles along.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    If over penetration is a concern, load up with #8 game load or even bird shot. In close "in-home" situations even bird shot will stop the problem quickly when administered in 12gage form. That said, the best for a shotty is still buckshot.
    Careful with that line of thought. With a group (home invasion), or even a very determined single BG, birdshot is just going to PO someone. Lots of bird hunters get tagged every year, and it doesn't stop much besides good comraderie and a quiet morning. Fiocchi frangible slugs could be a decent alternative.

That could be the case, but most hunting accidents are probably not at in-home distances either. I bet game load (#6 or #8) will do more than you think at 20ft. Of course the choke and lenth of barrel make a difference in effective distance too, and most HD shotties are 18" open choke. I still say 00Buck is best for HD.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Links