Bravo Company vs Daniel Defense

This is a discussion on Bravo Company vs Daniel Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What about Armalite? How would you classify them? BTW, I like the car analogy...it works very well. Thanks again for everyone's input and advise!!!!! It's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bravo Company vs Daniel Defense

What about Armalite? How would you classify them? BTW, I like the car analogy...it works very well. Thanks again for everyone's input and advise!!!!! It's greatly appreciated!!!!
    Last edited by dnilson; May 26th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

2. Remove Ads

Armalite is not the same Armalite as before, just the name, kind of like Springfield Armory. They're on par with Bushmaster.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Great topic and great info from informed members. I've owned my AR for one week and i've learned a lot from this short thread. Keep going!!

VIP Member
    Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion Arms, Noveske, FN = to a Ferrari Professional Grade?

S&W and Palmetto State Armory = to a Porsche professional/Commercial Grade?

Bushmaster, Rock River, Del ton, CMMG and the rest = to a Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang commercial grade?

Is this about right?
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion Arms, Noveske, FN = to a Ferrari

S&W and Palmetto State Armory = to a Porsche

Bushmaster, Rock River, Del ton, CMMG and the rest = to a Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang
    Which one would equal an Evo? :)

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Which one would equal an Evo? :)
    The one with the 22 conversion :D
    atctimmy and oneshot like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion Arms, Noveske, FN = to a Ferrari Professional Grade?

S&W and Palmetto State Armory = to a Porsche professional/Commercial Grade?

Bushmaster, Rock River, Del ton, CMMG and the rest = to a Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang commercial grade?

Is this about right?
    Pretty much. with the commercial grade rifles like Bushmaster, they'll likely work for most people. It when you start to push them really hard you'll see more issues and overall, in general, you'll see more issues… There are things you can do to bring them up to their most reliable point, but it costs money for the most part, and you can't fixed the large gas ports (in some) and things like that.

A new Bushmaster isn't as good as a decade ago. But, you could still run a Bushmaster with no issues. It WOULD NOT be my first choice (or 7th choice) for a duty rifle or home defense. Even if the chance of failure is only 1% more, that's too much more for me in that role. At the range, not so bad. This is pretty much a fact. My OPINION is that why not just buy the best if the prices are similar enough? If we're comparing a $900 rifle to a $1,050 rifle that is made will all better components (bolt carrier group, barrel, receiver extension, etc.), do we really need to save that $150? That a few hundred rounds of ammo? Why not buy the best and grow into the rifle instead of buying what's good enough today, but will likely need upgraded for work, home defense or advanced training.

Which brings me to this point here. Even if it's only for training, I can't tell you how much I HATE being at a class with some dude that spent $500 to $1,000 on the class, $750 on ammo, a couple grand or more for all the gear and another large chunk of change on travel and lodging but just HAD to save $150 on his rifle and is now holding everyone else up while he and one of the instructors tries to get his rifle working again. I've seen this happen a number of times. Rarely does a stock Bushmaster (stock in the sense of BCG, barrel, etc.) make it to the end of a three day class without choking. I don't mean they're out completely, but there's usually a headache involved. If there are three Bushmasters in a class, you can almost guarantee that one or even two will fail numerous times, and I don't mean a simple failure to feed. if there are 10 BCM's in the class, you can almost guarantee 9 or 10 will make it without a single issue.

It is what it is, no matter how much others try to fight it. Of course there are Bushmasters (when I say Bushmaster, you can lump in DPMS, Olympic, DelTon, etc.) that will make it through a 1,700 round 3 day class, but not nearly as many as BCM or Colt (or Daniel Defense, LMT, Centurion, noveske, etc.). The ones that usually make it through a hard class have been tweaked or even re-barreled.

Understand too, when I talk about advanced classes, I'm not talking about Appleseed. I'm talking about hard, active classes where we're pushed hard, rifles may impact the ground, unconventional positions, barricades that we shove our rifles in to, dirt blowing around, shooting in bad weather, the idea of cleaning is a quick wipe down of the bolt carrier then re-lubing and so on.

I get pretty wound up about this topic. Anyone that's ever taken my advice on rifles (or like-minded others on the forums) has come back and said "thanks, I'm really glad I listened."

Something that made me laugh yesterday… I was at the local dealer and they have a decent selection of ARs. They had a 16" Palmetto State mid length with an MOE hand guard for $800. Right next to it was an M&P mid length with an MOE hand guard for about $1,200. Next to that was a Bushmaster mid length 16" with an MOE hand guard for $1,200 as well.

I guarantee people will come in and try to decide (and I mean truly contemplate) between the Bushmaster and S&W, not realizing the whole time they can have a better rifle than the Bushmaster, and at least equal to the S&W, for $400 less. Funny thing is that the Palmetto State was the only one with an auto bolt carrier group and H buffer. Something you'll want to upgrade on any 16" mid length that doesn't already have those two things.
    bigdog44 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Something that made me laugh yesterday… I was at the local dealer and they have a decent selection of ARs. They had a 16" Palmetto State mid length with an MOE hand guard for $800. Right next to it was an M&P mid length with an MOE hand guard for about $1,200. Next to that was a Bushmaster mid length 16" with an MOE hand guard for $1,200 as well.

I guarantee people will come in and try to decide (and I mean truly contemplate) between the Bushmaster and S&W, not realizing the whole time they can have a better rifle than the Bushmaster, and at least equal to the S&W, for $400 less. Funny thing is that the Palmetto State was the only one with an auto bolt carrier group and H buffer. Something you'll want to upgrade on any 16" mid length that doesn't already have those two things.
    I was going to ask you about the palmetto state rifles, thanks for answering my question before I asked.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    For the record I only put PSA in the Porsche group because I don't really know where to put them. They have so many different configurations, some of their rifles appear to be all mil spec* and some don't. It does seem to me that you can get a top tier (mil spec*) rifle from them if you know what to look for.

I honestly don't know enough about PSA to rate them fairly so YMMV.

I have one PSA lower that is fairly new to me but it has held up so far. I also have another lower with a PSA LPK. I've had it for a while now and it has been 100%.

Lastly, for the record, I treat my guns much softer than Jon does. I am a weekend warrior, not a pro.

(* For the sake of simplicity I consider the FN "machine gun steel" barrels to be mil spec...or sort of)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    Actually going a bit further back in time my recollection is that it would correctly be Reccy (also pronounced Wreck-ie) ~ presented only as a historical clarification and not that it's relevant to a blessed thing these days.

Well...we've wandered off the path a bit.

All of the above posts are accurate (IMO - I'm not a professional, military, LE, or even a weekend warrior) insofar as rating the quality of the rifle vs. $$$ spent.

I have a PSA lower & LPK, Centurion Arms barrel and rail, Vltor receiver and stock...Hell, search for my thread in this section on my first AR to see the end result. I went balls to the wall, and blew my budget by $1500 and counting. I've taken 2 advanced classes (can provide AAR's upon request) and I had only 1 failure that was of my own doing (bad mag loading), and took me a whopping 5 seconds to correct. There has not been one factory round fired through my rifle. All reloads.

In those classes there was just about every top end rifle in the market, and one bottom feeder. Poor ammo was a factor with one guys problem, a gas block on another (Noveske switchblock), and a mag seating and feeding issue with a Bushy. Nothing that held up either class, but was way too stressful for the shooter to have to keep fighting with it. I was one of 4 civies total. The rest were Mil and LE.

I would not say that any of the listed manufacturers are better than Colt, they are the only one that has the official TDP spec from the military. Mil Spec with the others are a bit of a ruse. They do however have a proven track record. PSA is new in the game and are in the process of proving themselves to establish a track record, and has been smart enough to cater to both the budget minded weekend plinker and the professional insofar as the components you can get in your rifle if you have been smart enough to do the research to see what qualities to look for. Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, CMMG, Olympic ....have a proven track record, and it is not good (they seem to be content as "also ran" companies).

Fears about an Obama gun ban during a second term. May or may not happen, all we can do about it is Vote, and our options suck. Beyond that, it is out of our control. A lot of the fear mongering I am sure is spurred on to drive sales. - Let that be the end of that discussion in this thread.

To the OP and back on topic. Your money, you have to shoot it, and maintain it. Your choice as to how you spend your money. Your two choices are good, and I won't say that either is better than the other. The DD torture test video was more of an advertisement for DD, and torture test for Aimpoint. If they had done the same to 3 other brand rifles in the same config w/o mentioning brand other than saying "equal build", and for fun tossed in a bottom feeder I suspect they would have been side by side with DD (with the exception of the bottom feeder). I doubt that a civi would ever subject their rifle to anything close to that. BCM has their own torture going on. The Filthy 14. Google it. Here is one link from 2010;
    Slip 2000™ - Articles

Snip;
    As of this writing, EAG students have 31,165 rounds downrange through Filthy 14. During this evaluation period, it was cleaned once (as in one time), at 26,245 rounds. The end result is that Rack #14 was—and remains—filthy. It is filthy because it has been shot at class. Only at class. Every round that has gone down that barrel has been fired at class, with an average of approximately 1,300 rounds every three days....

We received the carbine in late 2008 and put #14 into service shortly thereafter.

At Brady, Texas, in March 2009, it suffered a malfunction, which was reduced with Immediate Action. The bolt was wiped down at 6,450 rounds.

At Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in May 2009, it had several failures to extract, and the extractor spring was replaced at 13,010 rounds. This is far beyond the normal extractor spring life under these conditions.

At Wamego, Kansas, in June 2009, two bolt lugs broke at 16,400 rounds. We replaced the BCG. Considering the firing schedule, this is within normal parameters.

At Columbus, Ohio, in November 2009, we had several failures to extract at 24,450 rounds. The shooter gave it a field cleaning and replaced the extractor and extractor spring.
    I could swear that I read somewhere that the rifle is upwards of 50k rounds now and still going. Try that with a commercial grade.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks, it's great to see how far you've come in the past year or so (however long it's been). I love to see that as you're one of the ones spreading correct information and also personal experience from advanced classes that few ever make it to, including LE and military. I appreciate it when someone comes along asking for advice, takes it all in, separates the facts from the opinions and then decides what is best for their needs based on those facts.

The more people take the time to understand all the small details and research before they buy, not after (if they bother at all - the gun counter guy's opinion is not considered research or experience), good info will continue to spread and informed buyers will be there to correct the nonsense, which used to prevail.

All it takes is a little recce (reccy) on what the informed are using, and the end result may not be too bad...

Oh, as for filthy 14, I believe it was retired somewhere in the mid 40,000 range, but I may be wrong. Pat is a moderator and very active member on Lightfighter forum, and there are numerous posts about that rifle there as well as on BCM's website - and the flyer they send out with gear. It's worth a read for anyone that doesn't know about that rifle, and it's not just that one rifle, it's a common occurrence with BCM.

Hell, not even a year yet (more like 5 months) and only IIRC 2500ish rounds (Signature line still applies). Thank gods I got training before bad habits were firmly rooted (like my pistol shooting). I still hate irons, gotta be a big barn to hit with them, but the RDS and/or scope, and I have what I feel is better than average Joe accuracy (which came out during the Pat MacNamera class) when I was scoring among the best of them with years of real world experience.

I'd love to lock mine in a vice and see what it can actually do vs. what I am capable of for a true measurement.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The one with the 22 conversion :D
    Awww

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links