Army Bans High Performance Mags (PMags Included)

This is a discussion on Army Bans High Performance Mags (PMags Included) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like some senators son is loosing money in the Aluminum mag business....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Army Bans High Performance Mags (PMags Included)

Sounds like some senators son is loosing money in the Aluminum mag business.

2. Remove Ads

Well news to me, this FoB has no such rule yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Well news to me, this FoB has no such rule yet.
    Yeah, I have no idea when this goes into effect.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    It takes awhile for these kinds of decisions to filter down to units on the FEBA (Forward Edge of the Battle Area) or FOB (Forward Operating Base).

While there are issues such as political cronyism everywhere there are people, for the most part, the folks in uniform in the Combat Developments arenas take their jobs VERY SERIOUSLY in trying to provide the guys at the pointy and sharp end of the spear with the very best, most reliable equipment possible. They know that lives are on the line thru their decisions.
    Skygod likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    It takes awhile for these kinds of decisions to filter down to units on the FEBA (Forward Edge of the Battle Area) or FOB (Forward Operating Base).

While there are issues such as political cronyism everywhere there are people, for the most part, the folks in uniform in the Combat Developments arenas take their jobs VERY SERIOUSLY in trying to provide the guys at the pointy and sharp end of the spear with the very best, most reliable equipment possible. They know that lives are on the line thru their decisions.
    Very true. Except it only takes one kunklehead with enough rank to squash the finding and make a dumb decision.

History will back this up.
    Just some examples
    McArthur on Vetoing the .260 Caliber Garand
    The powder change for the M-16
    The breakage prone frame for the alice packs
    The US Army's choice of Cammo design. The only time it blends in is when everyone is in formation.

Semper Fi
    Guest1 likes this.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Seems like instead of "banning high performance" it maybe should state "banning non metallic".

Some government agencies have specific wickets to pass through before non metallic materials can be approved for use; me thinks perhaps there is some issue with off gassing or other byproducts associated with the plastic used in the non-metallic mags?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

No one should worry about this!

Just like the Federal Govt, the DOD has more regulations than anyone knows what to do with.... So many that if we (the mil) actually continually lived by the letter of the law nothing would ever get done. Good Commanders in the field make the call on these issues, not some guy in an office in CONUS.

For a while now (at least since 2008) technically pistols are ONLY to be issued to Lt Cols and above... Our unit spazzed out about the order. Guess what? Every SNCO or above was issued an M9 like always, as was every other SNCO in country. No one cared about the order, just as no one will care about PmAGS in country. Sometimes common sense does prevail, and luckily it does most of the time when deployed. Silly crap like this just gets tossed in a forgotten desk drawer while we fight the good fight.

For those who want the order that only Lt Cols and above get pistols, I honestly don't remember, but I personally saw the order in writing around 2008. It was also USMC, so it may not have pertained to other branches.

Honestly there's a regulation for just about everything imaginable.... Just ask a 1st Sgt! It's up to Commanders in the field to ultimately enforce certain regulations while moving forward with others.

Never used the PMAGs down range so I couldn't tell ya any way or the other. I did however get the PMAG bug once they arrived on the civillian market and will swear by them any day of the week.

I still use the G.I. mags, but with the Magpul PMAG follower. That's a catch 22, I think ?
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Magpul is coming out with the PMag M3, which is compatible with the IAR and other rifles.
    PMAG® MAGAZINES - PMAG® 30 M3, 5.56x45 Magazine – AR15/M16

So much for that argument.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Ghost: Welcome to the Forum
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Thanks Jon. I'll un-wad my panties as well.

I love my PMags.
    You might wanta switch from P-anties to Thongs,less material to wad up
    DontTreadOnI and scgunlover1 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Very true. Except it only takes one kunklehead with enough rank to squash the finding and make a dumb decision.

History will back this up.
    Just some examples
    McArthur on Vetoing the .260 Caliber Garand
    The powder change for the M-16
    The breakage prone frame for the alice packs
    The US Army's choice of Cammo design. The only time it blends in is when everyone is in formation.

Semper Fi
    Also add in the Marines did not want anyone else to use their new uniform when they got rid of the BDU's. All services should use the best camo design and not have to (or want to )go out on their own to be distinct. What a waste of money the army and navy did when there was a good uniform out there. Speaking of the navy? Why on earth would you want a blue camo uniform aboard ship? I would think they would be bright orange in case they got thrown overboard!

In something so basic as the foot soldier's primary weapon, it's hard to believe the highest-reliability magazines wouldn't be heavily supported and made the standard. Assuming a great difference in reliability were proven.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not going to get into whats is the best and what is not argument.
    Many times there are products that seem great and for many are, how ever in the real world of Combat deployments they just don't live up to the hype.
    There is always more to the story

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links