Tactical Light Mounting AR15

This is a discussion on Tactical Light Mounting AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, So I was tinkering around with the mounting postions with my Sufefire and AR15. For the last couple years I have got to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tactical Light Mounting AR15

VIP Member

Hi,

So I was tinkering around with the mounting postions with my Sufefire and AR15. For the last couple years I have got to the point of not liking pressure switches at all. It me it seems like just one more thing in the way or a chance for things to go wrong when you need it to work. Currently I am using my thumb to hit the on off button as it's pretty close to my AFG2.

I am posting this because I have seen many others on the "net" post pictures of their rig and they are either using a pressure switch or most don't know what in the hell they are doing. My question is for experienced folks of what are you seeing being used by operators? I know what works for me, but I am always interested in a better way.

My next question is that it seems like if you have a separate laser, and light then there is no way getting around not using atleast one pressure switch. I will post a picture so you guys and see what I am working with. I will also post my rifle specs and cut to the chase as I am sure someone will ask.

Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor (Pinned and welded to be right at the legal length)
    White Oak Armament SS 13.7 inch barrel Match chambered in .223 Wylde (yes it can shoot 5.56)
    Daniel Defense Omega Rail
    Rainer Arms Billet Upper
    ARFCOM Billet Lower (DD LPK)
    ARMS BUIS
    Magpul AFG2 FDE
    Magpul CTR FDE (Mill Spec)
    Magpul Rail Overs
    Ergo Grip
    Optics (Vortex Sparc doing some testing as it typically wears an Aimpoint H1)

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If that is comfortable for you, then it is in the right spot.

A lot of people try to have it too far back which creates barrel shadow, your set-up shouldn't.

I generally like my surefire on the "outside" of my rifle. So since I shoot right handed, it goes on the right side. I have found before that when it is on the inside there is a higher likelihood of some gear or something activating the switch when the rifle is slung. Also, some people say you want it on the outside because someone may use your light as an aiming reference point, so you don't want it in line with your face. I am not sure how much I believe that, between a combination of the high-output some of the lights make, and the fact that someone shooting at a light in the dark probably won't be the most precise to begin with, so a couple inches may not really matter. But, either way, outside of the rifle for me.

I use a VFG, and it is in a natural position for my thumb to operate. When I do use a pressure switch, I leave the light in the same spot, so that the thumb can operate it in case the switch fails.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I don't have a light or light mount yet for my AR so I can't give you any suggestions or show any pics. However, I am in the market for same and look forward to the suggestions you get & the pics that maybe shown.

BTW, that's a great looking AR to me.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; May 29th, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Additional comment
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If that is comfortable for you, then it is in the right spot.

A lot of people try to have it too far back which creates barrel shadow, your set-up shouldn't.

I generally like my surefire on the "outside" of my rifle. So since I shoot right handed, it goes on the right side. I have found before that when it is on the inside there is a higher likelihood of some gear or something activating the switch when the rifle is slung. Also, some people say you want it on the outside because someone may use your light as an aiming reference point, so you don't want it in line with your face. I am not sure how much I believe that, between a combination of the high-output some of the lights make, and the fact that someone shooting at a light in the dark probably won't be the most precise to begin with, so a couple inches may not really matter. But, either way, outside of the rifle for me.

I use a VFG, and it is in a natural position for my thumb to operate. When I do use a pressure switch, I leave the light in the same spot, so that the thumb can operate it in case the switch fails.
    I hear what you are saying about the VFG and the AFG. I think that is part of the pickle I am in as I like the AFG, but it kind of hurts in this situation.

It depends on mission requirements. The use of the IR laser is for dark and most of the time remains in the "constant on" position. The separate Surefire light was outfitted with the IR filter for further illumination if needed in total dark conditions. Remember, we where outfitted with PVS/14's on the helmet or in tandem with the HWS or Aimpoint on the rifle.

The point being that the lights and laser modules both had temporary and constant on capability. I generally used the "temporary" thumb option on the Surefire light with the IR filter if I wanted to really light up the space through my NODS. I had the remote pressure pad for the light, but it was seldom used. That was my just my preference. YMMV.

The remote pressure switch was outfitted on a Tango Down VFG.

Quick note. We almost never used the visible laser option on the PEQ/2 laser module from Insight Tech.

Don't know if that helps. Civillian applications can be and are very different.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

If I'm using a push button tail cap, I like it in an offset mount on my left side, putting the light in the 10:30 (roughly) position. If I'm using a pressure switch (which I do mostly on long 12" rails and push button tail caps on shorter rails, like 10" and under due to my hand placement), I mount the light in the 1:30 position or the 3 o'clock position.

The key is to not need to adjust your grip in any way to activate your light, just move your thumb whether it's a pressure switch or push button. I've moved to all Surefire 3 cell lights including a modified E1B in a Gear Sector offset mount and a couple Surefire M300 Mini Scouts. I have an M600 Scout around somewhere and will eventually pic up a couple of the new IR/white lights like the 300v, 620v or the 720v, depending on the rifle it's going on. Both the m300 and m600 got a boost from 110 and 200 lumens to 175 and 250 lumens, while the IR/white models are 110 and 150. Currently with the PVS 14's I'm using the illuminator on the PEQ 15 or the IR filter on the Hellfighter. But, I don't always have the PEQ 15 and would like a small light that is IR capable, so one of the new "V" series lights will be a nice addition.

This is a little too far out for me to run comfortably without adjusting my grip, so instead of moving it back, I use a pressure switch like the same rifle in the pic below this one.

Notice how this one is offset and also uses a pressure switch

Here's a Surefire X300 on the 12 o'clock rail in front of a Daniel Defense front sight and a Surefire mini Scout on the 3 o'clock rail

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Jonconsiglio,

How do like the X300 on a carbine rifle ?? I've often thought of giving them a try on one of my own.

Do you use the standard tailcap or the remote "rifle" pressure switch ??
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I also run a Surefire X300 but at the 3:00 position on my 6920 and I use the standard switch. I like it a lot, its light, has ample lumens (especially for HD) and itís easily activated with my thumb from the VFG. I really like the pistol type lights for versatility; I can move them from carbine to pistol to shotgun if needed.

Chuck
    Skygod likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

As a lefty I prefer my lights as far forward on the handgrip at the 1:30 position, with a clicky tailcap. FWIW I've been deployed twice, Iraq, Afghanistan and have gone on more convoys than I care to remember; this is the setup that worked for me. I threw off the pressure switches due to constantly having "negligent discharges" with white light... In any kind of convoy ops you WILL bang the $#!! Out of your rifle constantly getting in and out.

As others have said it all depends on your application, but I always experienced NDs with pressure pads.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    As a lefty I prefer my lights as far forward on the handgrip at the 1:30 position, with a clicky tailcap. FWIW I've been deployed twice, Iraq, Afghanistan and have gone on more convoys than I care to remember; this is the setup that worked for me. I threw off the pressure switches due to constantly having "negligent discharges" with white light... In any kind of convoy ops you WILL bang the $#!! Out of your rifle constantly getting in and out.

As others have said it all depends on your application, but I always experienced NDs with pressure pads.
    In my experience, it is extremely hard to have a negligent light discharge with the SR07 as it takes a lot of pressure to activate. I teach mostly advanced LE carbine work in shoot houses and in and around vehicles and I've never seen it happen with the SR07 that I can recall. I have seen it numerous times with the standard pressure pad and even unprotected tail caps though, even when they were told to disable them as we were using NODs.

When I run the standard pressure switches, I run them between the 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock rails and they're a little safer from ND's there, though not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Jonconsiglio,

How do like the X300 on a carbine rifle ?? I've often thought of giving them a try on one of my own.

Do you use the standard tailcap or the remote "rifle" pressure switch ??
    I like it, but I prefer it on my 9.5" RIS II instead of the 12.25" RIS II as it's too far forward for my liking. I grip about mid point on the 12.25" hand guard. I used to reach out farther, but I found, for me, mid point works best. On the 9.5" to 10" hand guards, it's a great set up and very easy to manipulate with either hand and from any position. I use the standard tail cap.

The one in the pic is a friend's, but I've run my 10.5" LMT with the DD front sight in that exact setup a few times. Overall, I really like the setup. The X300 needs the extra included roll pin though to lock the tail cap closed as it's easy to bump by accident.

I think what I'm going to do personally is go to all left side offset mounts again with no pressure switches (except for the PEQ 15's, which will runs between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails when I run one) and put them all in LaRue QD mounts, though I'm not 100% sure yet, maybe a different mount, depending on my set up. I like being able to swap lights depending on what I'm doing. I'd like the 620v in the new Haley Strategic offset mount specifically for the 620 series, but often times the Mini Scout is more than adequate and don't need the extra weight of the 620v. So, i'd like to be able to swap quickly, without any screws.

My light set ups are constantly evolving. They stay pretty much one of two ways for activation, but the lights, mounts and exact point they're placed changes a couple times a year. The other thought I've had was m620 Scouts on my longer rails in offset mounts and m300 Scouts (with the new IR head as a second option) on my shorter rails. This way, both lights can be just past the front edge of the hand guard, but be mounted about the same distance away from my hand, if that makes sense.
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    It depends on mission requirements. The use of the IR laser is for dark and most of the time remains in the "constant on" position. The separate Surefire light was outfitted with the IR filter for further illumination if needed in total dark conditions. Remember, we where outfitted with PVS/14's on the helmet or in tandem with the HWS or Aimpoint on the rifle.

The point being that the lights and laser modules both had temporary and constant on capability. I generally used the "temporary" thumb option on the Surefire light with the IR filter if I wanted to really light up the space through my NODS. I had the remote pressure pad for the light, but it was seldom used. That was my just my preference. YMMV.

The remote pressure switch was outfitted on a Tango Down VFG.

Quick note. We almost never used the visible laser option on the PEQ/2 laser module from Insight Tech.

Don't know if that helps. Civillian applications can be and are very different.
    Excellent points! This is the type of feedback that I was wanting to get. I took the IR filter off as for my typical uses it does not make sense. If I ever really got into a god forbid terrible situation aka SHTF then I would seriously consider your technique above with regards to NV and lasers. It's crazy how they light up with that IR filter on through NV.

Quote Originally Posted by scgunlover1 View Post
    I don't have a light or light mount yet for my AR so I can't give you any suggestions or show any pics. However, I am in the market for same and look forward to the suggestions you get & the pics that maybe shown.

BTW, that's a great looking AR to me.
    Thank you! I like it a lot! I typically run this or my Daniel Defense and both have been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If I'm using a push button tail cap, I like it in an offset mount on my left side, putting the light in the 10:30 (roughly) position. If I'm using a pressure switch (which I do mostly on long 12" rails and push button tail caps on shorter rails, like 10" and under due to my hand placement), I mount the light in the 1:30 position or the 3 o'clock position.

The key is to not need to adjust your grip in any way to activate your light, just move your thumb whether it's a pressure switch or push button. I've moved to all Surefire 3 cell lights including a modified E1B in a Gear Sector offset mount and a couple Surefire M300 Mini Scouts. I have an M600 Scout around somewhere and will eventually pic up a couple of the new IR/white lights like the 300v, 620v or the 720v, depending on the rifle it's going on. Both the m300 and m600 got a boost from 110 and 200 lumens to 175 and 250 lumens, while the IR/white models are 110 and 150. Currently with the PVS 14's I'm using the illuminator on the PEQ 15 or the IR filter on the Hellfighter. But, I don't always have the PEQ 15 and would like a small light that is IR capable, so one of the new "V" series lights will be a nice addition.

This is a little too far out for me to run comfortably without adjusting my grip, so instead of moving it back, I use a pressure switch like the same rifle in the pic below this one.

Notice how this one is offset and also uses a pressure switch

Here's a Surefire X300 on the 12 o'clock rail in front of a Daniel Defense front sight and a Surefire mini Scout on the 3 o'clock rail

Jon thank you for your response! I hold your opinions in high regard and I thank you for the pics of your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post

You are kind of posting the same reason why I don't like pressure pads. I could see me hitting it both on accident and on purpose and the damn thing not working! LOL
    Skygod likes this.

VIP Member
    Jon,

What is the barrel length on your Noveske? Do you notice much accuracy drop off? I ask because I don't see a lick of accuracy drop off from my 13.7 at all. I have to say that it's a nice barrel, but I would not think it would make that much of a difference.

10.5" LMT on a Noveske lower. I had a long reply typed out but lost it. I'll post more in a minute.

Distinguished Member
    Damn, how in hell did I survive Nam with just a plain old M16 with 20 round magazines? I somehow think that a trained person with a plain jane AR will defeat an untrained person with a fully accessorized AR. Maybe that is old fashioned thinking but I have yet to hear anyone who takes a training course say that what he thought was the correct way to do things, really was.

Try shooting suddenly with one hand on a doorknob or holding the hand of your kid while you lead them to safety, with your AR dangling in your other hand and then think about if having a handgun might be a better choice for most of us living in the suburbs. :) Just the opinion of an old man.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You'll know when you have it right when it looks like this:

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links