pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint

This is a discussion on pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I don't think that any other optic can get knocked around and beat the crap out of and still keep on ticking like an ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint

Administrator
    Well, I don't think that any other optic can get knocked around and beat the crap out of and still keep on ticking like an AimPoint. It really is amazing how much abuse they can sustain and still hold a "0" - that is a proved fact.

In my desire to get back to the original OP posting I need to stick to my guns with regard to him having a vision related problem - and the EOTech possibly being a better choice/solution for that reason.

Let me say also that a "used" AimPoint can be a very good deal if you can find one because very little ever seems to go wrong or bad with them and even the earlier AimPoints are incredibly well constructed and great optically.
    I would also suggest that if folks decide on an EOTech then get the latest AKA most recent production because they are really pretty sweet.

2. Remove Ads

Oops. With a vison related problem, an astigmatism maybe, I agree about the EoTech. The other option would be a 2 MOA Aimpoint instead of the 4 MOA (or 3.6 MOA).
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    ALSO IMPORTANT - GENERAL FYI

BOTH the EOTech AND the AIMPOINT products are BOTH being Counterfeited and Knocked-Off by the Koreans and the Chinese.

SOME of the counterfeits are obvious cheapo fakes and some others are so good and so externally accurate that if you are a Newbie to either Aimpoint or EOTech then DO NOT buy from any place but, a trusted site or business. Stay off of places like Ebay.

Also be aware of the fact that some people that bash both the EOTech and the AimPoint and state that they are not that hot...have actually purchased fakes and are just not aware of the fact that what they HAVE is neither a real EOTech or a genuine AimPoint.

SO....consider yourself warned.

Administrator
    "The other option would be a 2 MOA Aimpoint instead of the 4 MOA (or 3.6 MOA)." <~~~

VIP Member
    Speaking of this little debate I just picked up an Aimpoint Pro 2MOA today. I love it! Great value and great optic.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your experiences in any way. I'm just stating what I've seen and what others have experienced, whose opinions I trust. As I've stated a few times, the 553 was an improvement to other models with the EXPS being an improvement over that. Battery life isn't an issue to me, I'm just used to the way I do things with Aimpoint. There have even been a few times I've mentioned I'd like an EXPS-3.

With the battery door issues fixed, there certainly less than can go wrong. I still don't believe they're as durable as Aimpoints and I think even EoTech fans can agree with that.

This is the reason I mentioned Defoor earlier. He uses EoTechs and appears to think the issues are blown out of proportion. He's stated numerous times he has no issues pressing a button or changing batteries. I trust his opinion as much as I do the others I mentioned. Same for Kyle Lamb with his EoTechs.

I'm just giving a personal experience and what I've seen. You don't have to agree, just one man's experience here. I'm perfectly content with my Aimpoints, but would be more than content running an EXPS-3, I just don't see a reason too.
    I'm in total agreement. I haven't taken many of the courses from those guy's so I can only tell ya what I've seen on the range and in theater. I just wisj Aimpoint would come out with a BDC type reticle in an M4 style optic. With the magnifier it would correct some of the guess work in bullet drop out to range in open field engagements. The reason the ACOG is far more popular in Afghan than dot work.

As I said , I'm not dissagreeing with your assesments based on your experience with your course training. It's just not somethsing I've witnessed personally. I like the EXPS-3 for it's BDC type reticle. I can only image it through the magnifier and not alone on it's one. That could be my eyesight or not. Don't know.

Quick note: Don't waste your money on the Eotech "Zombie reticle" It's a joke. :D
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Guys--thanks for all the great information. QKShooter--can you speak a bit more to the issue of the EOTech --in one of your posts it seems that you alluded to not having to look thru the EOTech sight??? I get the concept of both eyes open, but not sure that I catch the rest of the actual practical difference between the EOTech and the aimpoint--I read the words (laser & holograph), but just don't understand the actual difference
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Guys--thanks for all the great information. QKShooter--can you speak a bit more to the issue of the EOTech --in one of your posts it seems that you alluded to not having to look thru the EOTech sight??? I get the concept of both eyes open, but not sure that I catch the rest of the actual practical difference between the EOTech and the aimpoint--I read the words (laser & holograph), but just don't understand the actual difference
    I would also like further information.

ALSO IMPORTANT - GENERAL FYI

BOTH the EOTech AND the AIMPOINT products are BOTH being Counterfeited and Knocked-Off by the Koreans and the Chinese.

SOME of the counterfeits are obvious cheapo fakes and some others are so good and so externally accurate that if you are a Newbie to either Aimpoint or EOTech then DO NOT buy from any place but, a trusted site or business. Stay off of places like Ebay.

Also be aware of the fact that some people that bash both the EOTech and the AimPoint and state that they are not that hot...have actually purchased fakes and are just not aware of the fact that what they HAVE is neither a real EOTech or a genuine AimPoint. SO....consider yourself warned.

I purchased a "EOTECH" used at a local swap meet. Shortly after the purchased I found that I could not see the Red Dot in direct sunlight. It worked great at night or in low light. Further investigation reflected it must have been a knock off. The person with me, a good friend and Active duty Army, was with me and he had been issued an EOTECH. We both looked at it and couldn't tell the difference until it failed. It had all the correct marking ETC. I send it in to be repaired and that was when I was informed it was not a real one.

I can not blame the seller. He didn't say it was a real one and I didn't know to ask. It was just laying on the table. Lesson well learned

The knock off's are identical in outward apperance including all the correct markings.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Administrator

Easy To Understand Description Of A Generated Holographic Imagge.<~~~

Holography is described scientifically as a wavefront reconstruction process. Unlike a camera which forms and records the two-dimensional image of an object on film, a hologram records and reconstructs the light field propagating from a three-dimensional object to the viewer. A good analogy is the recording and play back of sound. The sound waves (e.g. music) are encoded and recorded on a disk. Upon proper decoding, the original sound waves are reconstructed. With holography, the field is encoded in the form of an interference pattern and recorded as refractive index variations on a clear window. The decoding is achieved by illuminating the hologram with laser light and the light field that was propagating from the object scene to the hologram window is reconstructed. Thus, a viewer cannot tell if the three-dimensional image he sees is "live" or a holographic reconstruction.

The Holographic sight makes use of the capability of a hologram to construct a three-dimensional image to produce a reticle that is projected out to the target plane. This is achieved by using a large, high quality aberration free lens to project the pattern as illustrated. The reticle image could be of any light pattern, any geometric shape or size, and produced in either 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional form. The holographic reticle is uniformly bright and distortion-free regardless of image size. A parallax free image is created with a large and bright aiming pattern allowing quick target acquisition, particularly in close quarter combat situations. At the same time, the HWS can produce an aim point as small as the human eye can resolve to achieve the highest aiming accuracy possible without magnification.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    These are quite good to give you an view of the EOTech reticule. Pretty good shooting being as he his probably shooting looking at his digital camera viewing screen. all of these are the EOTech without accessory magnification.

Thanks. for clearing it up.

What had me confused was the posting of
    projecting the Holographic on the target.
    I always thought of it as simular to the Crosshairs on a regular scope. Just put the aiming point on the target where you wanted the bullet to hit. pull the trigger and go onto the next one.

I have always used both eyes open when possible, which came from my pistol/shotgun/quick kill training.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Administrator
    I hear you. It confuses many people. No there is nothing projected out onto to the actual target as would be a laser beam.
    Basically when you are looking through a EOTech you are not directly seeing what is out there. You are seeing a recreated Hologram of your intended target with the reticule projected onto (or with) the Hologram at the same focal plane.
    It's quite confusing grasping the science/technology of it.
    Which is why I think it may be better suited for shooters with certain vision related problems or abnormalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Thanks. for clearing it up.

What had me confused was the posting of

I always thought of it as simular to the Crosshairs on a regular scope. Just put the aiming point on the target where you wanted the bullet to hit. pull the trigger and go onto the next one.

I have always used both eyes open when possible, which came from my pistol/shotgun/quick kill training.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for posting the replies and the video links. Darn--this is a hard decsion--I like the EOTech reticle, and the wider window, I like the Aimpoint T-1 light-weight, the battery life and the toughness. Decisions, decisions.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Basically when you are looking through a EOTech you are not directly seeing what is out there. You are seeing a recreated Hologram of your intended target with the reticule projected onto (or with) the Hologram at the same focal plane.
    It's quite confusing grasping the science/technology of it.
    I think you confused yourself by making it more complicated than it is lol. You aren't seeing a recreated hologram of the target. The only thing "holographic" is reticle itself.

Oh, and OP....I'd get an Aimpoint micro T-1 2MOA for reasons already covered if it were me, but then again I already have one, and I also have a fried Eotech lol. Battery life, durability, etc make the choice an easy one for me. I love having a small super tough optic that I don't have to worry about turning off or on. If I need to grab a rifle in the middle of the night for whatever reason I'd rather not have to mess with trying to turn on my optic in a rush or under stress....or risk flat out forgetting to turn it on until I've raised my sights and realize my mistake. Another plus for aimpoints is that adjusting the brightness on the fly involves just grabbing the knob and twisting one way or the other till it's where you want it....quick and easy....no button mashing to find the right setting.
    Last edited by sparkykb; June 6th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Sparkykb: Welcome to the forum!! Thank you for your service to our great country!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links