pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint

This is a discussion on pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I am NOT dithering here--I had almost decided upon an ACOG (4x32), but have lately been thinking about the Eotech & Aimpoint red dots ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: pros/cons of Eotech versus Aimpoint

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

OK, I am NOT dithering here--I had almost decided upon an ACOG (4x32), but have lately been thinking about the Eotech & Aimpoint red dots with possible 3x magnifier as options. I figure that I could buy the red dot sight first and then save up the $$ for the 3x later. My primary motivation for any sight beyond irons is my eyesight--it just isn't what it used to be.

So, I know its a rather broad category, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts/expereinces in the pros & cons of the Eotechs or Aimpoints.......

I've signed up for a patrol rifle class, so I need to get off the dime and actually buy something then get it sighted in.........

THANKS!!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    A couple of years ago I went with an Aimpoint M4 and their 3X, and I'm not sorry. If you decide on something like that I'd suggest looking at LaRue Tactical, I got both optics and the LaRue mounts at the price found on most web sights for just the optics. And I'd recommend LaRue mounts for their re-zeroing, no matter what optics you use.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I put an Eotech on mine. I've been happy with it.

003.jpg
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEe...e_gdata_player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    Owning both, I'll say the number 1 reaon I now prefer an Aimpoint over an Eotech is battery life. It doesn't really seem like a big deal. But there have been numerous times I'll put my AR in the safe with the Eotech on accidentally, and next time I go to use it, it's dead. Granted, The Eotech I have is the older version, with "N" batteries. Battery life was an amazing 40-60 hours. Now, the new Eotech's can last over 600 hours. A much better improvement, until you see that Aimpoints last 5 years (50,000 hours).... constantly on. I like this for two reasons... you can accidentally leave it on and not worry about it, and also, if the rifle is a defensive rifle, no need to try and find the switch under stress. My Comp C3 has been on since the day I bought it. It's on right now.

I've also grown to love the single dot of the Aimpoint versus the retical of the Eotech. The Aimpoint is much clearer and crisp as well as less distracting. I don't hate the Eotech retical, but now, prefer the single dot.

As for use with a magnifier, there aren't any pros or cons between either, in my opinion. They both work equally well with a magnifier.

Durability may sway to the Aimpoint side, however, Eotech's aren't delicate by any means.

I think most people who run their rifles very hard and train constantly will likely prefer Aimpoints due to their pro's. But Aimpoints are pretty pricey. Eotech's are generally a bit cheaper and will appeal to many more average joe type of guys who want a good reliable sight. I can't afford an Aimpoint, but I own one. I will admit though, I bought the most "budget" Aimpoint available.. The Comp C3. They can be found under $400. It's not NV compatible and not waterproof to the same depths as the M2, M3 or M4, but I'm just fine with that. It offers, the Aimpoint qualities that matter most to me.

What I like about Eotechs is, it's more like looking through a window, rather than down a tube. But, if you use a RDS or HWS properly, shooting with both eyes open, this doesn't matter at all. What many people won't realize is you don't even need a clear sight picture through the RDS or HWS. If you shoot both eyes open, the retical or dot with still be projected onto your target. Put a lens cap on the front end of your Aimpoint or Eotech and leave the back one open, aim, with both eyes open and you'll see what I mean. The key is keeping both eyes open. That what makes these types of sights, Aimpoint and Eotech alike, so beneficial, along with being parallax free. Being parallax free, I think is the major benefit.

VIP Member
    To me it's a couple simple things that make the difference.

1. The red dot on the Aimpoint is more precise
    2. Battery life
    3. The models I like tend to be lighter and smaller
    4. Just my preference YMMV
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I also own both - an EOTech 512 and an Aimpoint H-1. The EOTech came first, but I will say the professional AR users I trained with and listened to influenced my decision to go with an Aimpoint for my second carbine. The primary considerations were overall reliability in a wide range of environments, and battery life.

I'm just an average earth guy, not mil, contractor, LE or "operator" - but that doesn't stop me from wanting reliable gear. The biggest beefs with the EOTech centered around battery contacts and springs going south when you need 'em most. The newer designs mount the batteries crosswise to the axis of recoil, so that may have reduced the incidence of that problem. The thing I like most about the EOT is that big, 65-MOA ring - if you're making a fast shot inside about 25 yards, that'll get you on a man-sized target real fast. What I don't care for is the need for 2 fingers to turn the unit on and off, and two different controls for bright and dim.

The H-1 was simply more affordable than the full-size models (and I got a great deal at the NRA convention), but I like its compact size and I don't need the night vision-gear capability of the T-1. The single, knurled-wheel control for brightness is perfect. If I grab the gun from the closet when things go bump in the night, I don't need fine motor skills or to feel around for 2 small pushbuttons to turn the thing on, then mess around with the brightness.... touch the sight, the knob is there, half a turn and I'm in business. Battery life of 5 years is a hands-down winner. Downside? If any, it's that I needed to drop another c-note on a good mount, which in my case was the LaRue QD.

Both optics have served me well, and I have not had any problems with my EOTech, so the reliability issues are "reported," and not first-hand. If you have the opportunity to try both, do so and see which sight picture and "operating system" you like better. We're fortunate to be able to have such great choices.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Guys---Thanks for the replies. On the Aimpoint what are your thoughts about the 2 MOA red-dot versus the 4 MOA red-dot?
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

RKM
    The difference is basically going to be precision versus "noticability" for lack of a beter word. My Comp C3 is a 2 MOA and with brightness turn all the way up the dot is fairly large. On dimmer settings it's a very small precise dot that would work well when long range shooting. Personally I don't think dot size is a primary concern.

I also have a Primary Arms Micro dot (fantastic quality for the money!) mounted on my AK. It's basically a well made replica of the Aimpoint Micro series. The Primary Arms is a 3 MOA. I hardly notice the difference.

Administrator
    "My primary motivation for any sight beyond irons is my eyesight--it just isn't what it used to be."

Normally I would say "Go For The The AimPoint" but, in your particular case there may be an advantage to opting for the EOTech.
    That would be that the Aimpoint is a highest quality illuminated dot/reticule but, the EOTech is a true Holographic weapon sight.
    The advantage for you might be that the what you are seeing through the EOTech is a Laser generated Hologram which puts the reticule out at the same focal plane as the intended target.
    And so....when your eyes are focused ON the intended threat the illuminated reticule will also be in crisp focus.

The proper way to use the EOTech is NOT to look through it the way you would typically peer through a rifle scope.

You keep both eyes open and you only look at (and focus on) the threat/target and allow the lighted reticule to superimpose itself into your total sight picture.

So if you wear eyeglasses to correct your "far" vision the EOTech would be better for you.

With the AimPoint if you keep your eyeglasses on then the threat will be crisp but the dot will be blurry because it is at the rifle location and not Hologrammed on the target.

It's hard to explain but, ideally you should try both before you buy because buying either one is not like buying a candy bar where if you don't like it you can just toss it out.

Yes, the EOTechs did suffer some battery drain but, the newer ones are better than the earlier models. Still choose one with a more common and readily available battery type and that pretty much solves that problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Most of the builds that I do have the Eotech XPS 2 or 3 on them. After trying just about everything out there at one time or another, I went with the Eotech.
    The newer ones automatically shut off after 4 hours if you happen to forget to turn them off. Its just a 123 battery, so they are pretty easy to get.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The difference is basically going to be precision versus "noticability" for lack of a beter word. My Comp C3 is a 2 MOA and with brightness turn all the way up the dot is fairly large. On dimmer settings it's a very small precise dot that would work well when long range shooting. Personally I don't think dot size is a primary concern.

I also have a Primary Arms Micro dot (fantastic quality for the money!) mounted on my AK. It's basically a well made replica of the Aimpoint Micro series. The Primary Arms is a 3 MOA. I hardly notice the difference.
    I switched from Eotech to Aimpoint for battey life I like the 2 MOA dot much better...YMMV

If you get a chance, do a quick search for Aimpoint vs EoTech on m4carbine and Lightfighter. You'll see what many think. Larry Vickers and Pat Rogers both hate EoTechs. Jason Falla and many others prefer Aimpoint as well. Kyle Defoor, a former SEAL, prefers EoTechs.

Personally, I had a horrible experience with mine a few years back. Things have changed now and if I were to try another, without any doubt it would be the EXPS-3.

For me, I'm simply used to Aimpoint now and I like to leave the important rifles on the 8 to 10 setting 24 hours a day. I can do this for the next few years. Also, a buddy of mine, Darryl Bolke, has demo'd his M4s for many different agencies by throwing it over 860 times - seriously. It still holds zero and never fails. Many have seen this demo and I'm pretty sure there are videos of it as well.
    sammage likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Prefer aimpoint for weight, battery life, durability. Though I would not feel at a disadvantage with an XPS or EXPS Eo on my carbine. Have used the EXPS2, was quicker with my Micro.

I don't take any cues from LAV or Kyle Defoor or Dave Harrington etc. They're great guy's but their gear is not necessarily what I might like or others might need.

I prefer the Eotech due to it's reticle vs a simple dot. That's just me. I also have the Aimpoint with the 3x magnifier and it also has proven to be a versitile system if your not really an ACOG fan.

My Aimpoints alway's wash out in bright sunlight vs the higher brightness settings on the Eotechs.

I'm currently running the EXPS-3 with the Eotech FTS magnifier. YMMV
    QKShooter likes this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links