"You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun!" Mythbusting Video

This is a discussion on "You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun!" Mythbusting Video within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I made this video to demonstrate that a shotgun does not magically put out a cloud of lead and that it does have to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun!" Mythbusting Video

I made this video to demonstrate that a shotgun does not magically put out a cloud of lead and that it does have to be aimed/pointed at your intended target, not simply "pray and spray" from the hip, Hollywood style.

Different than SD but when I shoot trap I do use the sights and do aim. I just started trap seriously last year and asked the old farts what they do and they all said do not aim.

Well, I do and hit 23's consitstently. I gave up on convincing them so I just say I point and shoot.

Yes, a number of people informed me that you should never aim a shotgun, but always point it.

I just say, "If you are pointing it, you are aiming it."

Besides, my Remington 870 Express Tactical comes with a rail mounted ghost ring rear sight and a front post, so....well, I like to aim it.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Nice Video, thanks for posting, a good reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Different than SD but when I shoot trap I do use the sights and do aim. I just started trap seriously last year and asked the old farts what they do and they all said do not aim.
    I worked the trap house at a couple hunt club shoots back when I was in high school. On a good solid hit, It was cool to see the streaking shot just before it hit the clay pigeon and turn it into dust. If I aimed, it was an unconscious thing. Maybe that's why I only hit about 60% of them.
    Last edited by 4my sons; May 31st, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

And, of course, we are discussing two different things when we are talking about use of 00 buckshot for defense/tactical and shooting clay birds with BB loads.
    Eagleks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    And, of course, we are discussing two different things when we are talking about use of 00 buckshot for defense/tactical and shooting clay birds with BB loads.
    I thought I said that

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    I agree, While I hold no claim to be an expert and do not play one on TV, but in a SD situation, we may be shooting more like were on the skeet range than the target range. Instinctive shooting may be all you have time for. When I skeet shoot, I'm looking down the barrel, but not necessarily at the bead at the end of said barrel. I guess that is aiming to a degree. IMHO, it's all about the time you have and the distance to the target. I guess it like Point shooting with pistols.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I thought I said that
    Wasn't talking to you.

VIP Member
    Not sure of the barrel length on your shotgun but it goes along with the statement "18 inch cylinder bore will have a pattern approx. 1" per yard in relation to the distance from the target".

From a static position a shotgun is hard to beat for home defense but there are much better choices if movement or searching are involved.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

No myth about the way a shotgun patterns. Thats why we practice slug change overs.....
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The myth is that you can blast the bad guy by relying on the shotgun to put out a hail/cloud of lead, with no aiming whatsoever, just Rambo it from the hip.

That's the myth the video busts.

Sponsor
    I started my wife out with an 18" 20ga. pump shooting #4 shot for SD purposes. She too thought that all she had to do was point in the general direction and pull the trigger. She was amazed at how tight spread was at 20ft. I do have her practice shooting from the hip but it is akin to point and shoot drills with a handgun, as in you are still aiming just not with the sights.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thanks for the comments.

try to tell a turkey hunter that they don't have to sight :)

There's also a great deal of variation in chokes and ammo. Some setups require less precise aim to hit a target, some much more.

Good demo, thanks for taking the time. It also depends on the load you're using. Even at 20 yds, Federal Flite-Control wads will keep all the pellets in a 2" circle. Always thought it interesting that proponents of the "don't have to aim" never got it that those individual (00) pellets only weigh about 52 grs going 1000 fps -about like a .32 ACP (which they would never carry).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links