Fn scar 17

Fn scar 17

This is a discussion on Fn scar 17 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I already have two AR-15s...a S&W M&P OR 5.56 and a Daniel Defense M4V5 5.56. I've been thinking that my next purchase should be a ...

Thread: Fn scar 17

Fn scar 17

I already have two AR-15s...a S&W M&P OR 5.56 and a Daniel Defense M4V5 5.56. I've been thinking that my next purchase should be a .308 and I've found an awsome FN SCAR 17 .308. What is the consensus regarding this company and rifle? I've heard that they're right up there with Novenski, LMT, DD, etc. Anyone have one or know of someone who does? Also, it's a piston system and that makes me a LITTLE nervous, but since they supply some arms (the military version of this rifle) to the US Special Ops and therefore Mil-spec (or close to it), I shouldn't have problems with parts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

VIP Member
    I have a line up similar to yours. I also have a couple M1As. I have the FN SCAR 17 .308 It shoots ok. just over 1 moa. I have not worked up just the right load for it yet but they say it will shoot 1 moa with premium factory ammo of a certain type. I just can't see myself paying retail for ammo.
    The rifle is a tactical rifle not what I consider a battle rifle. It has a lot more small moving parts and not as simple to take down as an AR or M1A. I don't think you will have any problems with it or any parts in the future.

I would consider an M1A over the FN. However both my M1As are iron sites if you want something with an optic then consider it. I don't like optics on the M1A ( just my 2 cents worth don't want to start something)
    You need another caliber and .308 is a great way to go!

I don't know, some of the SOCOM guys seem to think the SCAR H was a game changer in 308 rifles. I've run a lot of close range drills with mine as well as taken it out to some serious distance. Never a single issue with the rifle. Of the guys I know that used them in Afghanistan, they all said it was a huge improvement over anything they've handled in 308. The only issue is the plastic stock latch which is easily replaced with the aluminum Tango Down. The side rails are also easily replaced with aluminum rails with QD sockets.

Compared to an M1a, we have a much lighter weight rifle which is faster handling and can easily go from room clearing to precision in a couple minutes, or no time at all, depending on the set up.

EDIT - i have a SCAR L (16s) as well, but even though it's a great rifle, I prefer my AR's in 5.56.

M1a's and M14's are nice rifles, but the SCAR H is an improvement in almost every way for a fighting rifle. I'm not trying to take anything away from MrBuckwheat's opinion, I'm just looking at form a fighting rifle standpoint (as I usually do) and from the general consensus of the guys I know that have fielded them. There will of course be those that choose something else like the LaRue, M1A, etc.

I don't know if this matters to you, but I can clear a structure and work from a vehicle with the SCAR H almost as easily as I can a 14.5" M4. With the new barrels coming from FN and the option to have it cut from Marvin Pitts, a 13.5" SCAR H will clear structures, work from vehicles and shoot tight groups at 500 yards, depending on the optic. A couple screws and you can install a different barrel and pop on a different optic already zeroed for that barrel.

Notice how it compares to my 14.5" at the bottom

With the T1 and magnifier combo, it's great out to 300 yards and is my preferred hog slaying set up

Pop the ACOG 4x32 on there and hits at 700 are pretty consistent on a man sized steel silhouette.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

A buddy of mine just picked up a black SCAR 17 model. It is a beauty. He had been saving up to get one ever since we both were at our local range and rented out a SCAR 16. We were both impressed with it, but his caliber is .308 Win, and that started his search for the 17. The only concern that he has voiced is that he is having a hard time finding additional mags. Perhaps he just doesn't know where to shop.... Does anyone have any recommendations for additional sources for magazines?

YMMV.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FN is about as respected as any firearms manufacturer on the planet. Most of the militaries in the free world have relied pretty heavily on them for decades.

Have you looked at the FNAR?

I got one a couple of months ago, and it's a real keeper! Doesn't have quite the wicked "black rifle" look of the SCAR, but functionally it'll do pretty much the same job. Personally, I think it's a great looking rifle. Very lightweight, sweet handling, and probably slightly more accurate than the SCAR, and it's about half the cost. It's kinda the latest incarnation of the BAR.
    I'd been looking for a good .308 semi-auto for quite a while, and I found mine!

FWIW...

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    A buddy of mine just picked up a black SCAR 17 model. It is a beauty. He had been saving up to get one ever since we both were at our local range and rented out a SCAR 16. We were both impressed with it, but his caliber is .308 Win, and that started his search for the 17. The only concern that he has voiced is that he is having a hard time finding additional mags. Perhaps he just doesn't know where to shop.... Does anyone have any recommendations for additional sources for magazines?

YMMV.
    Honestly GB is your best bet, and be ready to pay for them. I Got 10 for my 17 and through package deals i am around $45 a mag, but it was difficult to get them.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Sorry, that abbreviation lost me....

GB = Gun Broker?

Thanks, I will pass the info along...
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    Sorry, that abbreviation lost me....

GB = Gun Broker?

Thanks, I will pass the info along...
    Yeah exactly.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

No mags

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I already have two AR-15s...a S&W M&P OR 5.56 and a Daniel Defense M4V5 5.56. I've been thinking that my next purchase should be a .308 and I've found an awsome FN SCAR 17 .308. What is the consensus regarding this company and rifle? I've heard that they're right up there with Novenski, LMT, DD, etc. Anyone have one or know of someone who does? Also, it's a piston system and that makes me a LITTLE nervous, but since they supply some arms (the military version of this rifle) to the US Special Ops and therefore Mil-spec (or close to it), I shouldn't have problems with parts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I wish I could find magazines for my scar 17

VIP Member
    Try CDNN investments.

I don't own a scar but I do own a POF 308.

Few things that you do need to note. The 308 caliber ARs are noticeably heavier (I noticed that I had a hard time being accurate shooting offhand with 308 as it was just a little too heavy for me to hold it steady). Also with a brake on the rifle the blast from the 16inch 308 is significantly worse then a blast from 223 with a brake. At the range I was shooting that had just straight concrete walls double ear protection was required (Everyone that was wearing just muffs would usually just pack up and leave after I fired a few rounds). Firing this thing indoors without ear pro would be a very bad idea.

The SCAR H weighs little more than an equally equipped M4. Very light rifle with minimal recoil. The blast is rough with the PWS but not bad with a flash hider. I've fired one in a shoot house with Sordins and it wasn't bad, but of course more than 5.56. That's what suppressors are for though.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sponsored Links