Norinco SKS problem

Norinco SKS problem

This is a discussion on Norinco SKS problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Chinese Norinco SKS that I decided to modify by putting on a Tapco SKS intrafuse stock. The Gas tube was going to ...

Norinco SKS problem

I have a Chinese Norinco SKS that I decided to modify by putting on a Tapco SKS intrafuse stock. The Gas tube was going to be a pain to change out so instead I ordered a new Tapco gas tube to go with the stock. However, when I put the gas piston into the Tapco gas tube, it doesn't fit. I tried to find online a tapco gas piston to buy and install, but it looks like they have been discontinued. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Never had a Tapco gas tube. The piston does fit snug. Hmmmm....
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    I have a Chinese Norinco SKS that I decided to modify by putting on a Tapco SKS intrafuse stock. The Gas tube was going to be a pain to change out so instead I ordered a new Tapco gas tube to go with the stock. However, when I put the gas piston into the Tapco gas tube, it doesn't fit. I tried to find online a tapco gas piston to buy and install, but it looks like they have been discontinued. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
    First off why did you feel you needed to change the gas tube to install the Tapco stock on a Norinco SKS? Even if you are installing a new US made gas piston/op rod for 922r compliance the new Tapco Intrafuse hand-guard and bracket should work with the original gas tube and new op-rod/piston. Tapco does make a replacement gas tube and hand-guard set with the hand-guard pre-installed for both the standard SKS (Russian and Chinese models and one for the Yugo SKS). If this is what you ordered make sure you got the model for the Chinese SKS and not the Yugo SKS.

Here are the installation instructions and other info

http://tapco.com/pdfs/instructions/SKS_T6.pdf

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Pirate,

I bought the tapco replacement gas tube to install because I thought it would be easier and faster than messing with the original gas tube that came with the rifle. From what I have read on the net, locating and then punching out the pin on the original tube can be a real pain and if not done properly can ruin the tube. I didn't want to run the risk of damaging the original tube so I just ordered the replacement standard (non yugo) gas tube. The gas piston will move freely in and out of the orignal tube, but will not in the replacement tube. It gets stuck and then I have to punch it out from the rear. Here is a picture of the piston stuck in the gas tube:

Attachment 59449

I even emailed tapco's customer service several days ago about this issue and have not gotten any kind of response. Either I got a defective gas tube, or the gas pistion that came with my norinco is larger than it should be, I just don't know which.

My piston sticks a little and I have to push it out as well, but the gun shoots fine.

When you say "Won't fit" or "Stuck", do you really mean it's so tight that you have to forcefully remove it?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Yes, it must be forcefully removed. The piston won't slide back and forth in the tube, as a matter of fact, it will not even slide into the tube far enough for me to be able to fit the tube back onto the gas port of the rifle.

Links