Laser vs red dot

Laser vs red dot

This is a discussion on Laser vs red dot within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to this forum, and have a Mossberg 12 ga 500 pump. I've added a Blackhawk specops stock and a sling thus far. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 1 Post By mr.stuart

Thread: Laser vs red dot

Laser vs red dot

I'm new to this forum, and have a Mossberg 12 ga 500 pump. I've added a Blackhawk specops stock and a sling thus far. I want to add either a red dot scope or a laser sight so that my wife will be able to hit something should something happen. What do you think would be the best option? I'd like to keep the cost around $100.

VIP Member
    You aren't going to get much either way for that price.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Mike is right, you could MAYBE get a cheap laser for that price, but that's about it. I'd save up more and get quality.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

RKM
    If you're talking long distance, a red dot is the way to go. If you're talking up close, low light conditions, that's where a laser shines, no pun intended. You're not going to get much for $100.

Kill two birds with one stone by adding a light AND a laser with a Streamlight TLR-2. Not going to fit into your $100, though.

photo.jpgIf she is having trouble picking up the bead, you might want to try a Meprolight tritium dot replacement for the bead

Welcome to the forum or your first post whichever it may be.

Guys are pretty much right thus far. $100 won't go far. Spec ops stock and sling? For the wife and HD.......why? You could have saved that money for the light/laser combo and some reduced recoil buckshot from TDSUS.
    IMO.........Red Dot sights require bringing to shoulder and sighting. HD shotgun should be able to be deployed from the hip or several positions other than from the shoulder. Mainly from covering a doorway in a safe room, or the hallway or possibly the front door. A bright light is key. If it's a focused beam light and at night.....you won't need a laser or a red dot IMO. In broad daylight you shouldn't need much more than ammo and a forward stance. Forget the red dot, forget the sling, and put the wood stock back on it. Train your lady well for the home scenario...the way you would train yourself. Better investment of your time and like I say...money for reduced recoil loads. Teach her not to put the shotgun to shoulder if her back is to the wall, and especially get that tac light where she won't be taking a shot at you if you come home after midnight! You can sell the sling and stock on EBay and get something more useful. Thinking about your wife, I say cool down on the tactical stuff and you'll both be looking down the same barrel. It is possible that you can overdue things to the point it becomes detrimental to the total home security plan. Personally, I think you're on the wrong path right now. Home defense plans with two in the house means teamwork. Many times we do what's right for the rest of the team other than telling the rest of the team what they have to deal with or giving them tools they are unfamiliar with and asking them to be adept with them. Thinking for ourselves is rather easy. Thinking of the team involves more strategy and weighing the strengths and weaknesses of all team members. The basics couldn't be easier....it's just difficult for us to understand at times especially when we place ourselves before the team. I wish you and yours the best.
    Beans likes this.

Had a lower-priced red dot sight, once. It wouldn't hold zero effectively. Ditto on the suggestions to hold out for the highest quality you can support for your application and budget. If you do go the low-price route, I'd recommend trying out a couple of them prior to purchase, if you can find someone with that model or if the shop/range has one with that sight.

Good luck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Primary Arms you can get a red dot for under a hundred and it will hold up just fine. I have one on my AR that has been perfect now for close to a year and my buddy has 2, one his Springfield M1A SOCOM in 308 and the other on a 12ga Remington 1100 tactical. His are holding up just fine.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I don't see why you would need either one on this gun. Unless you wanted to shoot targets at a distance. I would simply make sure she practices with the gun.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Primary Arms you can get a red dot for under a hundred and it will hold up just fine. I have one on my AR that has been perfect now for close to a year and my buddy has 2, one his Springfield M1A SOCOM in 308 and the other on a 12ga Remington 1100 tactical. His are holding up just fine.
    There are other guns I would take my chances with a Chinese knock off on before a shotgun.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links