Buying online

This is a discussion on Buying online within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wanting to buy a Colt LE6920MPR and have found it online $200 cheaper than LGS will sell it for. This is my first AR15. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Burns

Thread: Buying online

Buying online

I'm wanting to buy a Colt LE6920MPR and have found it online $200 cheaper than LGS will sell it for. This is my first AR15. Do you think I would be better off buying it local and having my LGS's service? I guess it's a $200 question for me. $1186.00 vs $1350.00

Donnie

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I'm wanting to buy a Colt LE6920MPR and have found it online $200 cheaper than LGS will sell it for. This is my first AR15. Do you think I would be better off buying it local and having my LGS's service? I guess it's a $200 question for me.

Donnie
    If it's from a reputable place online I would get it from there. $200 could get you a decent amount of ammo :D
    sgb likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I usually buy local if the price difference is not too much. I really like supporting local business folks and they provide support that online retailers can't. However, $200 is way too big of a spread. Don't forget to add in the FFL fee and shipping it to you. My cheapest FFL fee is $15 + $5 for background check. With shipping and the transfer fee it can be as expensive or more expensive than the LGS. Also, you can negotiate with the LGS. Maybe some range time, ammo, gun case, etc. For example, if my LGS wanted $50 more for a pistol but there are no other fees but there is sales tax of $20. The online retailer charges $10 to ship and my local FFL guy wants $15 + $5. That's a difference of $40. So I tell my LGS this and he tosses in a box of $25 ammo and a nice little gun case worth about $12. Now I'm down to $3 difference. I walk out with the gun.

Do your research well. Nothing wrong with buying online.....just know all of your costs up front.

If you're gonna buy it anyway, then get it online. You can still support your LGS buy paying their transfer fee. And/or, spend the money you saved on mags and ammo at your LGS.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yup, many of the online retailers sell for less than the LGS can buy the same product. Usually a handgun in the LGS is less than $100 over cost, and right now it is hard for small shops to even get most of the popular guns like AR's or Shields. Just remember the small local guy that provides great service and takes care of you will be gone if everybody buys online.

it's nice to do what you can to support your LGS. I've set a $$ limit for how much more I'm willing to pay a LGS for the same firearm. the trick is often finding the one you want locally though. (for me anyway). $200 seems awfully charitable to me but good karma for you if you can swing it.

I picked up my 590a1 online for about that much cheaper, but with $25 to ship and $35 ffl and it was from cabales so I had to pay sales tax anyway I wish I would have tryied to get the lgs to match the out the door price, even paying $20 more would have been fine
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    i always try to buy local but, negotiate if you buy from the same lgs you'll establish a relationship and he'll lower prices on your next purchase and the one after and the one after...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I generally buy almost everything online, I refuse to pay the $100-$150 difference at the local gunshop for the exact same thing. If it were closer to $20-$30, I wouldn't have a problem at all but they refuse to even honor the prices on their OWN website. Get that? I had to argue with the them to get them to honor their price on their own website for a Ruger 10/22, never again.

What I personally have been doing, right or wrong. From now on I order guns online out of state (this avoids the state taxes, your supposed to claim it on your return...but I get taxed when I get my income and taxed when I spend it, I doubt they will miss it) which can save a serious amount. Use a coupon code for free shipping, and my FFL does transfers for $10.

I'll fondle locally. Buy online.

Links