Home defense shotgun choice - Page 3

Home defense shotgun choice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun choice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; $1500-$1800 to do the job of a $315-$400 Rem 870. no thanks....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun choice

$1500-$1800 to do the job of a $315-$400 Rem 870. no thanks.
    atctimmy and Reaperman357 like this.

MJK
    870 is a great choice in that price range. Benelli M4 is also a great choice but more expensive. It comes down to personal preference and pocket book.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I keep an 870 myself. 6 #4 in the tube, "hammer down" on an empty chamber, safety off. Rack and bang.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I like my Remington 1100 with 18" barrel. Slightly muzzle heavy which makes it point really nice for me.

If I chose one of my shotguns for the HD role, it would be my Benelli M1S90 Tactical.

I prefer the semi over a pump for HD--less to think about--just cycle the bolt and go.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Mine is a Winchester 1300 defender
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    Mossberg 500 for me.

002 506x1000 123.jpg
    Reaperman357 likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I've had a Stoeger coach 12ga, Rem 870 12ga pump, and Rem 1100 12ga semi-auto. I've handled the Mossberg 590. I've drooled over the Mossberg 930 12ga semi-auto but haven't yet shot it. Controls on the Mossbergs differ from the Remingtons, something to check to see which works best for you. The coach gun has a two-shell capacity, which might or might not meet your criteria. As for length, my preference is for 18.5in barrel (or shorter), feeling that longer weapons get correspondingly tougher to maneuver in the tight spaces inside a home, but that's subjective. Any of these options should be simple and reliable enough to suit the purpose.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 22nd, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Remington 870 Wingmaster fitted with an 18.5" barrel.
    If I ever get back into hunting I can replace the stock barrel in a snap. Actually hitting a partridge may take a little longer...

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Mossberg 930 SPX.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I found a used 870 Wingmaster, with an 18" barrel, at a local store. Picked it up for $200

Can't beat it for a HD shotgun.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    I would say that this is the best choice for home defense gun... You don't need to put a lot of money into it to get something totally effective. If you think about a home invasion, you're not looking at a long sustained gunfight. You want to put out a good volume of fire with good terminal effects, right now. No need to over spend on doo-dads and gadgets. Use the money you save on the price of the gun to get 1) some plug in night lights for your hallways and rooms and 2) lots of practice ammo and range time.

I think you're better off with a used well-cleaned and well-oiled remmington with which you are very familiar than you are with a $1000 combat grade weapon loaded with scopes, lights, side saddle ammo, forend grip extension, etc.

Load it up with whatever you feel most comfortable with, maybe reduced recoil bukcshot, 00 buck, #4 birdshot, #6 birdshot.... doesn't really matter: people who get hit with a shotgun blast at inside-the-house range... they go down...

If you want to buy a great gun and it costs some $$, go ahead and buy it. But if you just want a can't go wrong HD tool, don't overspend, or overthink on your shotgun and ammo....

HCF
    Remington 870, mossberg 500, benelli nova, stoger coach gun are all great choices. Throw plenty of lead down stream overwhelming the bad guy. I like pump action hard to beat for price, keep it simple, maybe a light an shell holder.

I have many shotguns in semi, pump and break open. My choice is a SXS because it is simple with top mounted safety and my wife can use it (no short pumping so fancy safeties). See below. I have two in the pipe safety on and 5 shell holder on the butt stock. If I don't have time to reload and they are still coming (not likely) then the M&P or Smith 357 will do.

SXS6.JPG
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If I chose one of my shotguns for the HD role, it would be my Benelli M1S90 Tactical.

I prefer the semi over a pump for HD--less to think about--just cycle the bolt and go.
    Pressing the trigger on my M4 cycles the bolt. :-)
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Mossberg 590 SP, its GF approved
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links