Home defense shotgun choice - Page 4

Home defense shotgun choice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun choice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up an H&R defendor a couple months ago (good sale at Cabela's) and have been satisfied with it. It’s solid, albeit a bit ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun choice

I picked up an H&R defendor a couple months ago (good sale at Cabela's) and have been satisfied with it. It’s solid, albeit a bit heavy. I figured why spend a bunch of money on something that's primary use will be sitting in the gun cabinet waiting on the rare possibility it will get shot in a home defense situation. And if it does, it will end up seized as evidence and tied up in court. It was a win-win for me, being on a budget and all.
    NRA Life Member

Just got a Mossie 500 Persuader. Gonna shoot a bunch of different ammo loads this weekend.

Okay folks,
    I'm still looking for a good HD long gun. I have a Glock 30 loaded with 230gr +p HP that is my CCW. It sleeps in the nightstand when it's not with me so I'm not totally defenseless. I just want a long gun to back up the Glock. What is ya'll's opinion of an AR variant of some kind for home defense(and I would also like to try my hand at building one too-just the lower part; I'd buy a complete upper)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texspeech View Post
    Okay folks,
    I'm still looking for a good HD long gun. I have a Glock 30 loaded with 230gr +p HP that is my CCW. It sleeps in the nightstand when it's not with me so I'm not totally defenseless. I just want a long gun to back up the Glock. What is ya'll's opinion of an AR variant of some kind for home defense(and I would also like to try my hand at building one too-just the lower part; I'd buy a complete upper)
    ARs are great but you can buy 3 shotguns for the price of an AR. You need to think about YOUR long term goals and usages for the HD long gun. Shotguns are do it all weapons, ARs are more specialized.

If money is a big concern then I would opt for a shotgun. In a SHTF scenario a shotgun could be used for HD or for hunting food. Depending on the load you could use a shotgun to kill a bear, a deer, a duck or a snake (or anything). A shotgun with a 20" barrel is a powerful do it all weapons system.

The AR is an excellent defensive tool as well with more reach, it's just not as versatile as a shotgun. The AR has more ammo on board and can punch through soft body armor. It's also less likely to over penetrate. If you think you might be engaging large groups of attackers then the extra ammo on board will be a big comfort. 30 rounds is a lot of shooting without a reload.

So what's your end game? What's the long term goal behind this purchase? What's your most likely threat? Is it one or two guys breaking down the door at 4am? Or is it a group of angry rioters burning down your neighborhood? Maybe answering those questions will help you out.
    Bigdawgderek and Eichorn like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I have the remington 870 tactical.Knox recoil stock extended tube , picitinny rail on top, ghost ring/xs big dot sights 18inch barrel out the door at $475.
    The easy way is always mined.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links