Home defense shotgun choice

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun choice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am currently looking for a good home defense shotgun. I don't hunt so I don't really need anything fancy. I am really drawn to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun choice

I am currently looking for a good home defense shotgun. I don't hunt so I don't really need anything fancy. I am really drawn to the Stoeger coach gun supreme with the interchangeable/removable chokes because I do occasionally shoot trap. What are ya'll's opinion on the coach gun for home defense?

Thanks!

take a look at the Stoeger Double Defense or Mossberg 500 Persuader..

http://youtu.be/AP7cVF3vWAw

Mossberg 500 Persuader - Cruiser Shotgun - YouTube

Look fwd to reading posts on the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme as we're not very familiar with their offerings.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have a normal Stoeger Coachgun, as opposed to the Supreme, but I will offer some basic input on the style of shotgun.

For home defense I do still think a coachgun is a viable option with one major caveat. The main advantage it has over a 18.5" barreled pump is that it has a shorter overall length, as well as being lighter weight. A coachgun is about the shortest shotgun you can get without a tax stamp. Two barrels of buckshot can certainly stop a threat as well (remember proper technique with a shotgun with two triggers is to use one trigger finger, and transition triggers between shots). However, the major drawbacks are limited capacity, and a slow reload. So this is where the caveat comes into play, you have to have a solid sidearm back-up. I personally wouldn't want to try to reload a side by side under stress. It would be a dump both barrels and drop it so I could transition to my pistol type weapon.

It isn't really meant for trap or skeet, and I don't know how much the interchangeable chokes will help you there. I do use mine on a regular basis for informal clays, and it does just fine in that setting. But it isn't a serious trap/skeet gun, the way it swings isn't quite right, and the shot spreads out rather fast from mine (granted, with fixed chokes).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My Mossberg 500 Persuader fills that nich for me. You can pay more for one of the fancier ones, but why. When it gets down and dirty and the guns come out, I'll look to performance over bling every time. I paid $235 and change if I remember correctly; for that price you could get two.
    mprp likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme...love the gun, but...

It's not an expensive shot gun, not like some of them. I bought mine, and new in the box, I sent it out to Coyote Cap and had it re-worked for cowboy shooting.
    Now I don't participate in cowboy shooting, but the gun is 'butter smooth' after about $200 worth of work.
    I made it a quality HD tool. Looking at the business end of a double barrel 12 gauge gets one's attention. Granted, you only have two shots, but it will get a crowd looking for the nearest exit, and I can 'smoothly' reload it pretty quickly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maybe not quite what your looking for but take a look at the mossburg 590a1 series shotguns, these things are built for combat and rough use. I have the 20" 9 shot version. If you can't get it done in 9 shots then you need to go home. It also has a baynet lug making hand to hand combat the best and the heavy barrel can take em out with a hit.

The line inclues a cruieser version and one with a second barrel for hunting or trap. I have used mine for trap and sporting clays for fun and it dd the job.
    BigJon10125 and MotorCityGun like this.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

I think a coach gun would do fine. Limited ammo and slow reload of it comes to that though. I would pick either a Rem 870 or Moss 500/590.

I've got a 590a1 and like it a lot.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Winchester 1300 Defender.
    shooterX likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

My opinion? Get one of the nice auto loaders like a 930SPX or Rem1100 or Ithaca SKB 300 (or the Winchester 1300 as mentioned above) then buy an extra barrel for your trap shooting. I would say less than $500 on brand new items and maybe a hundred less on used items all together. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around a double duty home defense/trap shotgun without at least swapping barrels.
    atctimmy likes this.

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the input. I was looking at the coach gun primarily for the KISS factor of it and never considered a semi-auto until now. The coach gun would probably not be the best choice for trap and skeet(I usually used a friends 870 for that) but as buckeye .45 said it would work for informal clay shooting. I will definitely look into something like the Remington 1100 or the Mossberg equivalent.

Thanks again!
    Reaperman357 likes this.

I found a used 870 Wingmaster, with an 18" barrel, at a local store. Picked it up for $200

Can't beat it for a HD shotgun.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    DefConGun likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My only experience with auto's is the Rem 1100 and Win X3 and I had reliability issues with both. I just like the simple pump for HD.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    590A1.JPG

I'm with ashamans on recommending the 590A1, this the ultimate defense shotgun!
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links