Rem. 870 locked-up, need advice/help! (Took pics.) Noobish questions.

This is a discussion on Rem. 870 locked-up, need advice/help! (Took pics.) Noobish questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't like asking for this type of advice but I have never had to disassemble a pump shotgun before, and a very close family ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rem. 870 locked-up, need advice/help! (Took pics.) Noobish questions.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Rem. 870 locked-up, need advice/help! (Took pics.) Noobish questions.

I don't like asking for this type of advice but I have never had to disassemble a pump shotgun before, and a very close family member asked for help with their shotgun. Weapon is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12ga 2 3/4" shell. He purchased it from a local police auction and the first time he took it to shoot it, it "locked up". There is a shell in the magazine tube assy. , and its stuck. The slide is locked in the forward position. He was not able to chamber the round, he was going to put one shell in, chamber and fire it to see how it did.

Is this something that should go straight to the gunsmith? I am an otherwise accomplished DIYer ,I just am not sure where to start on this?

Advice?

Thanks.

(Sorry for a noob like question).

(In the first picture, I am pushing down the "tongue" on the bottom of the receiver, thats as far as it will go. You can't see my finger pushing it down, but you can see how far it does down and the shell. Is it supposed to go further than that?)
    Attached Images

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

Different angle
    Attached Images

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Not sure you can tell much from this pic
    Attached Images

Barrel removed looking down on the magazine tube assy. It appears with a special tool(?) the assy. can be removed and the shell can come out this way? Or ?

Thanks.
    Attached Images

Goes without saying, but don't trust that there's not one in the chamber.

Lube or debris problem - I've seen this one other time on a long-term stored 870.

Point downrange/safe direction and make sure slide is full forward. Push the shell forward with your thumb - it should give a bit against the mag spring, and hopefully it allows the shell carrier (the metal "flap" that takes up most of the pic) to move freely - I'm assuming it's jammed against the cartridge.

If that works, then push the shell carrier upwards into the receiver against the bolt assembly and unload the magazine. To do this, you push the little "feet," one on each side of the mag (you can see one of them near the "G" in the shell in your photo) outboard with your thumbs, one at a time which allows the cartridge to move backwards. Once unloaded, disassemble, clean the hell out of it, lube it, and then work the action (empty or with snap caps) a bunch to make sure it's moving freely.

If that doesn't work, (again, pointing in a safe direction and keeping your hands clear), unscrew the cap at the forward end of the magazine and take off the bbl. Then, very carefully, use a large-frame screwdriver or the end of your choke wrench to push the plastic spring holder down into the mag an inch or so, then twist 90 degrees to release it. Be careful, because especially with shells loaded the mag spring is going to want to go flying downrange and since it's black you may have an awful time finding it... I've got a "buddy" who did that about 20 years ago when removing the bird hunting plug... yeah, nevermind. Pull the spring and follower out and then, if you point the shotgun down to the ground, the shells will pour out. Then, you should be able to pull the barrel and be able to take a good look at what's holding things up.

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    If you`re not experienced don`t mess with it. BUT I would try and find a way of putting something in back of the primer of the stuck shell so it does Not get hit with anything. Then I`d take it to a gunsmith to find out what`s going on and have it unloaded. Please be Very Careful!!!. Let us know what`s up with it.
    RayBar likes this.

OK - looks like while I was writing this, you got the barrel out and also freed the shell carrier.

Try unloading the mag with the "feet" through the loading port. If that doesn't work, you don't need a special tool to open up the mag - the end of the choke wrench works perfect, but a spoon handle or big screwdriver works as well - you just need to push the "plug" down and then rotate it 90 degrees.

Edit: That looks like an older model plug - I think you just pry thouse out carefully.

Screwdriver will pry that out, careful because there's a long spring in there... That cap just pops out.

Depending on the age of the shotgun, there may be a 'dimple' that prevents the shell from going that far - you can drill it out or file it off if you need to.

Sounds like a double feed. Press forward on the round in the magazine from underneath...means pushing up on the holder. Then (you might need three hands here).......push the slide lock and pull the forearm back. You may also need to reach inside the breach (if open) and spread out the catch on each side. 870 dis-assembly is pretty straightforward if you can't get it to go assembled. Some of the older models of the 870 require a bit more work and those should be sold at auction IMO. Just don't make things worse than they already are by trying to work the slide.

Locked up my 20 gauge after a range trip in a similar fashion. I had just cleaned it and for reasons unknown it seized, so I depressed and held the slide release, grabbed hold of the pump and then hit the but of the shotgun on the ground with moderate force (4-5" off the ground). I was back in action immediately. That maneuver, as I later found out, is a clearance drill for shotguns.

Go to this thread and look at the section near the bottom of the first post titled "Clearance drills and techniques" for reference.

I also found this youtube video that sounds exactly like what you described in the first post:

marcclarke likes this.

But, but, but - pumps don't jam

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    But, but, but - pumps don't jam
    Neither do revolvers.
    atctimmy likes this.

That Winchester Super X is cheap junk ammo - it is the only ammo that has locked up my Rem 870.

For cheap target loads, I use Federal. No problems.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That Winchester Super X is cheap junk ammo - it is the only ammo that has locked up my Rem 870.

For cheap target loads, I use Federal. No problems.
    ^ Yep! ^ Except usually after firing then sticking in the chamber with my daughter's 870.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had time to mess with it again since the original post. If I end up taking another look at it, I will let you y'all know the result.

I'm going to have to look into this Super X ammo too,...I don't know anything about it but it doesn't sound good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links