I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is - Page 2

I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is

This is a discussion on I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In terms of distance, how far is an EOTech good for in terms of accuracy ? From the Eotech FAQ page. Can I use this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    In terms of distance, how far is an EOTech good for in terms of accuracy ?

From the Eotech FAQ page.

Can I use this for long range engagement?
    Yes, you can. The HWS can be used for engagement out to 300m with extreme accuracy. Unlike a magnified scope the operator achieves a much greater field of view to allow for greater visibility within a tactical engagement area. However, its clear objective advantage is on CQB, close quarter situations where speed is a must. The HWS is an obvious choice for an M16 or M4 where the weapon is used both for CQB and for longer range engagements.

I'm running a 557.AR223.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I have a Sig M400 and put an EoTech XPS2-2 on it. Zeroed at 25m, good to 300, but there is a second 1 MOA reticle which allows me to shoot out to 500m (not that I've tried that yet), so these sights are designed with that kind of (unmagnified) distance in mind.

Still, a battery-powered sight can fail at any time, and any failure at any time is never convenient. So, get a set of pop-up rear sights, zero them, then leave them down and out of the way, or, up and ignore them, since your optic is what you'll focus on anyway, at least while the battery is still working! I'd leave the front sight alone - some of the polymer fold-down front sights won't stand the heat generated by the barrel.

Even though I agree with the others that you learn to shoot better starting with iron sights - shooting optics sure is fun!

Enjoy!
    "Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness"
    Annonymous

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Now you need to get that front gas block off of there, put another with a rail, and mount Magpul folders on front and back.

Zero out the Eotech and zero out the folders and you'll be good to go. Keep the folders in the folded postition so as not to screw up the Eotech picture with the front sight. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
    I did the same thing, here is my Bushmaster that was once an optics ready.

IMAG1125_2.jpg
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Two things to pass on after more than a few years running a 512, first, use lithium batteries they last a long time and are less sensitive to temps, and second, get used to using the minimal brightness needed for what ever lighting condition you are shooting in so you don't fuzz out the reticle.
    ericb327 likes this.

I too went back and forth between Eotech and Aimpoint.
    I liked the Eotech using AA batteries as I have access to lithiums easily.
    I didn't like the Aimpoint 1/3 N battery but it is claimed to last years. (we'll see)
    I was set to buy the Eotech when I found a like new Aimpoint for $349 including the mount on GB.
    I jumped on it.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I also debated and dithered between the EOTECH and the Aimpoint--I finally chose the aimpoint for the longer battery life and the lightness of the sight itself--haven't had a chance to take it to the range and zero it--but I have a Patrol Rifle class from our local SWAT guys in a couple of weeks, so I've got to get that done--also want the flip-up sights from Knights Armory--just waiting for the $$$ to do that.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

From a bipod, I've hit to 150 yards no magnification on an AR.

I have an Eotech on my Sig 522 w/ 3x mag, AR15 w/ 3x mag, and my Saiga 12.

Battery life is ok and I prefer the field of view. It does add a bit of weight to the rifle.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Thunder,

Anywhere near East Grand Forks? If so I can help you change out the FSB if that is the direction you wish to go.

On my last build I put a Yankee hill flip up FSB on, so far I really like it.

I was using the EOTECH on my duty rifle before I retired, it worked good for me.

I put an Eotech on my Socom 16. I really like it I zeroed it in for 100 yards but I still made good hits a 200 yards.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Now that you have the carbine and the Eotech, you need something to carry it in. Take a look at this case from Cabela's

Cabela's: Discreet AR Rifle Case
    That's not discrete This is discrete: 5.11 Tactical COVRT M4, Asphalt, One Size 56970-021-ASPHALT-1 56970-021-ASPHALT-1 SZ: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

I think I ordered mine from CTD, really like it. Plenty of room for the AR and then 2 compartments on the outside to hold a fair amount gear.

P95
    What on earth is it good for?

I would not worry about removing the front sight assy. I've had a 512 on my Bushmaster since I got them in the mid 80's. I've never once found the front sight to block or be a hinderance.

Awesome man! I have got to get me an eotech. I have a primary arms micro on mine now that is sweet and my bro has an eotech like that and its a lot clearer and way more field of view. It is indeed heavy though!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links