I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is

This is a discussion on I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been trying to decide between EOTech and Aimpoint and well, Cabela's had the EOTech I wanted today so there we go... I really like iron ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is

I Bit The Bullet - EOTech It Is

Been trying to decide between EOTech and Aimpoint and well, Cabela's had the EOTech I wanted today so there we go...

I really like iron sights, but I have to say - this thing is pretty cool. Not sure it's worth spending $450 on though... kind of having a little buyer's remorse.

Bushmaster M4/A3 / EOTech 517.A65 by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Now you need to get that front gas block off of there, put another with a rail, and mount Magpul folders on front and back.

Zero out the Eotech and zero out the folders and you'll be good to go. Keep the folders in the folded postition so as not to screw up the Eotech picture with the front sight. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sounds cool, 60% of that went right over my head lol... I'm learning though!

From what I understand, the gas tube goes into the sight so you need to replace that with another gas block if you remove the front sight, correct? After this, I'd need to get the rail mount front and rear folders for back up iron sights, or 'BUIS'.

Whew... am I close?

When I mounted my Eotech, I also removed the front sight, replaced the gas block and changed to the Hogue forearm. (well actually, I had it done for less than it would have cost me to buy all the tools) I don't have any iron sights right now, but it's easy to mount the Magpul fold down sights on the rails. As for zeroing the Eotech, mine was on the paper at fifty yards out of the box. Doesn't take much adjustment to zero it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Thanks, from looking at it - it (the dot) seems to sit just above the front sight post.

Now that you have the carbine and the Eotech, you need something to carry it in. Take a look at this case from Cabela's

Cabela's: Discreet AR Rifle Case
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Thanks, from looking at it - it (the dot) seems to sit just above the front sight post.
    It shouldn't be sitting anywhere without a rear sight. The way an EoTech or Aimpoint works, once zeroed, you can have the reticle in the top left corner, bottom right or dear center and the bullet will impact the point of aim (within reason - at the zeroed distance). With a rear sight, all three will line up when looking through the rear aperture, but there is NO REASON to ever line up all three other than to check zero. You use it wherever it appears at the time, otherwise you paid a substantial amount for an painted front sight post.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Haha true... went by feel I guess since I'm used to how I hold it and where I place my nose (on the charging handle), etc. You're right though, I obviously wasn't looking through the rear sight since it's currently on the handle which is on a shelf now. :)

I figured you knew, just reinforcing it!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    I'd leave the front sight alone, it's pinned and sturdier than a set screw low mount replacement. Put the Eotech on a riser and invest in a Magpul BUIS. This will give you a 1/3rd lower co-witness of your back up iron sights. Just my 02.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The Magpuls are nice, but I like the durability of the Troy's or MI' BUIS.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

RKM
    I'd get get either a fixed or folder rear sight, and put a riser under the Eotech for some lower 1/3 co-witnessing. Yankee Hill makes a riser for the Eotech. Yeah, it's Yankee Hill but it was more than enough for my needs. Set the retical at a perfect height for lower 1/3 co-witnessing, allowing you to keep both fixed front and rear sights.

I will say, the sight picture through an Eotech or Aimpoint with no sights in the way is nice. Even shooting both eyes open, there is a nice clear difference. However, Keeping the fixed sights is not only quicker to transition from optic to irons, but they're far sturdier than folding sights.

Thanks guys, some interesting options here! Nothing is clear cut with AR's lol.

In terms of distance, how far is an EOTech good for in terms of accuracy ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    In terms of distance, how far is an EOTech good for in terms of accuracy ?
    I've seen video of guys hitting 10" plates at 200 yards without magnification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links