So I bought an AR, now what?

This is a discussion on So I bought an AR, now what? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Sig M400 today. I've been putting off buying one because I'm just not sure that I needed it (I'm still not sure, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: So I bought an AR, now what?

I bought a Sig M400 today. I've been putting off buying one because I'm just not sure that I needed it (I'm still not sure, but the wife is out of town,
    so it was easy to sneak in the house

2 things that I want to put on it.... A different handgaurd, I want to be able to hang a light off the bottom.
    Some type of optic... cheap optic to start. This is just for plinking, fun etc. I don't want to be "Tacticool"

My former neighbor left me a bunch of magazines (30) and 1000 rds of green tipped .223 when he left... so I'm good with magazines.

Tom

The Magpul MOE handguard is a good value, and doesn't add as much weight as a metal rail, and you can still add lights.

Do you want a magnified optic or not?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I use the magpul. It is great as previously mentioned. I added a little rail piece for a tac light and i have a primary arms micro red dot. I love it. I have shot the crap out of it and it has held zero and has not failed yet. Yea the aimpoints are nice but I didn't see spending that much on an optic I wasn't sure I would like. I like them but when considering the price I like my primary arms way better. I have compared the two btw. Aimpoint is a litttllleee bit more crisp and yea has like a 20 year battery life but hey.....I can live without it.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR

RKM
    You don't need a different handguard for the use of a light. There are few different mounts that fit to the front sight post.

Primary Arms are the top dog in the world of "cheap" optics. You can use the Primary Arms micro dot until you're ready (or not) to buy an Aimpoint. There really aren't any good Eotech "style" budget optics out there that don't suck.

I'd start with, shooting it first. Get the irons sighted in.

Learn to shoot properly before optics and youll be rewarded tenfold. JMO.

-It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Learn to adjust and shoot with the iron sights first. No batteries to go dead and you can be very accurate with them. A cheap red dot made by BSA has worked well for some time now. It's $35 and I think I saw it in Walmart or Dicks.
    kb2wji likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Pet it. Caress it. Make it promises you don't intend to keep......the usual.....

and then take it out and show it a really good time and just get down and dirty with it.

Well, you ARE in a new relationship, so you want to explore those boundaries, right?

Good goddess I love new to me weapons.

Fortune Favors the Bold!

Lubricate it well not just for shooting but,you will know why when your wife finds it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't know what kind of optics I need, er uh want. It's strictly for fun, shooting in the desert, that kind of thing. I'm not going into battle with it (at least I hope not).
    Say... 200 yards max. It has the carry handle with iron sights and I fully intend to utilize those. any optic I get will be in addition to not replace those.
    I'll take a look at the options for the light... but then again, I don't really need a light.

I did manage to change out the selector switch for an ambi switch... that seemed easy enough.
    Thanks every one for the help. Super excited to get started!!

Tom

VIP Member
    Shoot the crap out of it. Then, after you've burned up 1000 rounds, you will have a better idea what you want to change on it.
    DefConGun likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Get some rounds downrange to get used to the gun. Then sign up for some training... a lot of the local ranges offer courses in the AR. When you gain some confidence, then sign up for the EAG Tactical "Carbine Operators Course" that comes to Casa Grande once or twice a year.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Even before the handguards and ammo, you need to buy facepaint, night vision and attached GPS. After such, an Eotech or Aimpoint, flashlight and sling are good. Then course, shoot, shoot, shoot.
    scout706 likes this.

Congrats! I think thats one of the best value's in the gun world right now. The M400 is a fantastic AR.

A few have said it already, but its worth repeating. I would hold off on the optic!! Get good with irons before you go to an optic. You should be able to hit center of mass shots at 100 yards with irons no problem. To me, optics are just one more thing to worry about. But hey, i'm a "simpler is better-er-er" kind of guy. Keep it light, keep it simple, and shoot the snot out of it.

Dig a pit. Start piling greenbacks right next to the pit. Now... you're going to need that shovel again...

Congrats :)
    lordofwyr and scout706 like this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links