Is Bushmaster a qualtiy AR-15 and is this a good price??

This is a discussion on Is Bushmaster a qualtiy AR-15 and is this a good price?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lately I've begun looking at AR15's and don't know much about them yet. So I don't know which are considered low-mid-high quality or what to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is Bushmaster a qualtiy AR-15 and is this a good price??

Is Bushmaster a qualtiy AR-15 and is this a good price??

Lately I've begun looking at AR15's and don't know much about them yet. So I don't know which are considered low-mid-high quality or what to look for. Saw this in a local Dunham's Sporting Goods ad and would like some opinions on the gun itself and the price. I know there isn't much info in the ad, and it is a bad picture from the paper, but when I tried to search their website with any zip code it failed to locate a local store. As an IT person that is especially annoying and could be fixed!

I also saw one of the vendors on here had a S&W AR-15 for $599 shipped. Was looking at that one also. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure on the price but I love my Bushmaster! I have the M4/A3 Patrolmans Carbine.

For a few dollars more, you can have something better.

I would be tempted by a Bushmaster if it was $499.

Check this out instead: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Doodle and Inspector71 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I also saw one of the vendors on here had a S&W AR-15 for $599 shipped. Was looking at that one also. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The Smith & Wesson is probably the Sport model, if you can get it for $599 shipped I would jump on it, it is probably the hottest selling AR on the market right now. No matter what anyone says you really don't need a forward assist and the dust cover is useless unless you are fighting in the desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Some will say Bushmaster is garbage and should be avoided. I've shot a couple Bushmasters but have never personally owned one, and the two I've shot seemed like good rifles. I only own a Colt 6920 and have been extremely pleased with it. There are some technical stuff like properly staked gas key, twist rate, chrome lining, etc that matters to some people but not others. For the average gun owner most of the AR makers will work fine. For me though since I keep my AR for home defense and SHTF I want everything to be top quality. YMMV
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I would do my best to find something better for a similar price. I want just say "buy a Colt or BCM" here like I normally would as the price difference will be $200 or more. If it was the normal Bushmaster price, I'd definitely suggest the Colt or BCM though. For that price, if $800 is your budget, I'd much rather buy a Palmetto State 16" mid length for $800.

There will be a shipping and transfer fee, but no tax if PSA is out of state. Bushmaster is ok, at best, Palmetto State builds their rifles to a higher quality. They had a few very small control issues, but they were very easily fixed. I'd trust them more at this point, and I guarantee the quality is higher than Bushmaster.

I should add that most that just plink occasionally won't notice much difference, especially at first. Problems will be more likely with the Bushmaster and will show sooner due to slightly lower quality components and what results from them often being over gassed. Most will never see a difference firing a couple hundred rounds. Push it hard and you may. Take a fleet of Buhsmaster and a fleet of Colt and you will certainly, without a doubt, see many more issues with the Bushmasters.

There are a coule contractors on M4carbine and Lightfighter than we're responsible for all the rifles in their AO. In one instance, I believe more than half needed replacement parts right out of the box or very, very early in the firing schedule. All rifles will eventually need parts replaced, Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly, Del-Ton, etc., will generally need those parts replaced sooner.

I've had very bad experiences with my two Bushmasters and one DPMS that I owned a number of years ago before BCM was available and Colts weren't as easy to deal with as they are now.

There will always be the "my Bushmaster is just as good as you Colt" guys out there. What they often leave out is their use of that rifle. With some tweaking though, they're usually just fine.
    gasmitty and OD* like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have both a Colt and Bushmaster. They both seem to be as good as the one I carried in the military.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If I wanted an optics only AR it would be varmit/hunting version. That carbine is a great shorter easier to handle and carry in an emergency situation, but then I would not want to rely on optics, and with the gas block, it is not very iron sight friendly. I also does not say a Carbon version, are Forged, and I would not buy a carbon/platic AR. The S&W is a little sess than an AR in my opinon, will be more limited in resale because of that. Bushmaster has a viable name recognition, and has a respectable level of respect, although not near the highest. You can buy a better version at Bud's Gun Shop online for less money. They free ship them to your FFL, and tax free. I would suggest if you want the 16" Carbine you get one that comes with iorn sights, and if you want to add optics to it get a Flat top version, or a removable STAG ARMS SA2 Right Hand 223 16 A3 $789.00 SHIPS FREE handle version. Here's a well set up carbine from Stag Arms, a very good name in ARs, for the same money as the Bushmaster with no sights at all.

IMHO for the price and quality it is hard to beat the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport Product: Model M&P15 Sport™, Fixed Magazine & Bullet Button®
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

FWIW, I would pay very close attention to jonconsiglio on the AR rifle. And determine what you really want to use that rifle for. A Bushy may be just fine, but the Colt is the way to go, if you can spend a few more dollars.
    Doodle likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    That is a good price. I love my Bushmaster. I got the same rifle on sale for $750.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    IMHO for the price and quality it is hard to beat the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport Product: Model M&P15 Sport™, Fixed Magazine & Bullet Button®
    Agreed. You don't get a forward assist or dust cover, but depending on want you want to do with the rifle, you can be without both of those two things. The M&P15 Sport actually has sights and it's not that "optics ready" goofyness. Unless you want to run a magnified scope, you should have iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I would do my best to find something better for a similar price. I want just say "buy a Colt or BCM" here like I normally would as the price difference will be $200 or more. If it was the normal Bushmaster price, I'd definitely suggest the Colt or BCM though. For that price, if $800 is your budget, I'd much rather buy a Palmetto State 16" mid length for $800.

There will be a shipping and transfer fee, but no tax if PSA is out of state. Bushmaster is ok, at best, Palmetto State builds their rifles to a higher quality. They had a few very small control issues, but they were very easily fixed. I'd trust them more at this point, and I guarantee the quality is higher than Bushmaster.

I should add that most that just plink occasionally won't notice much difference, especially at first. Problems will be more likely with the Bushmaster and will show sooner due to slightly lower quality components and what results from them often being over gassed. Most will never see a difference firing a couple hundred rounds. Push it hard and you may. Take a fleet of Buhsmaster and a fleet of Colt and you will certainly, without a doubt, see many more issues with the Bushmasters.

There are a coule contractors on M4carbine and Lightfighter than we're responsible for all the rifles in their AO. In one instance, I believe more than half needed replacement parts right out of the box or very, very early in the firing schedule. All rifles will eventually need parts replaced, Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly, Del-Ton, etc., will generally need those parts replaced sooner.

I've had very bad experiences with my two Bushmasters and one DPMS that I owned a number of years ago before BCM was available and Colts weren't as easy to deal with as they are now.

There will always be the "my Bushmaster is just as good as you Colt" guys out there. What they often leave out is their use of that rifle. With some tweaking though, they're usually just fine.
    when it comes to AR's jon's the final word around here in my opinion and I'm sure others would agree... I'd listen to him.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Thanks for the education and opinions. I will do some more research before I buy. Not in a hurry.

You can get a PSA rifle for about the same price. In fact, you probably should get a PSA rifle for about the same price. It's what I'm doing (and now I think they have jon's blessing. haha).
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links