Stuck Barrel Nut (Bushmaster)

This is a discussion on Stuck Barrel Nut (Bushmaster) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Really? Yesterday somebody else was the "go to guy" for ARs. Look....if you guys can't actually bring me your your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Stuck Barrel Nut (Bushmaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Really? Yesterday somebody else was the "go to guy" for ARs. Look....if you guys can't actually bring me your your problem guns, then I'm not much help. I'd fix you up ASAP. No BS coming forthwith on the Bushmaster. Sad a guy feels embarrassed to ask about something that may not fit into the status quo around here. I've been dealing with Bushmaster for over 13 years. I have one myself. I'm just a part time gunsmith now.
    Should you have got something better? Well, I guess that goes with the flow. I keep spare parts for all of my firearms. I'm a civilian now and I do have a budget. I also have plenty of years behind each and every gun I own and that's plenty of time put in to my thinking. Many might be appalled at my choices, however my choices have always worked for me and I do put them all through the paces otherwise I simply wouldn't speak of them at all.
    Ok you Bush guru, I came across something on another forum that brought about a concern for me. I read on another forum that Bushmasters are overgased, they run fine for a couple of thousands rounds and problems start. Is there any truth in that statment, and does it need attention, or is it an easy fix for a reasonalbly mechanical do it yourselfer. I did just order a order a 20" PSA upper for it, which will give me a 16 iron sight gun for bug out, and a 20" scoped gun for the fun stuff, so the upper is completer except for Charging handle, and BCG, which I planned to use the Bushmaster BCG, and Charging handle in the new upper. I should think that introduces a new gas volume to the BCG. Am I in for problems, or an improvement.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Is Mopar making gun parts now? <--- said as atctimmy laughs at his own joke.

ETA: I know I'm a goober. You don't need to tell me.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

It worked. I dunno what happened but it worked. Per your suggestions, I am waiting for the receiver vice block and barrel nut assembly I ordered from Brownells. I left the barrel in the vice. When I was out in the shop doing whatever I had given it a try, a couple of different times. Thursday evening I took another crack at the barrel nut and off it spun. I have no clue what happened it just came off like it had never been stuck. Checked the treads there was no sign of galling, loctite or anything else. So I am clueless what the hell happened but it is off.
    I want to thank each and every one of you for your input and assistance. I especially want to say thanks for keeping this on topic without all the negative carp about Bushmaster that is all to common on other boards. ON AR15 they'd have buried my OP in anti Bushmaster slams. For myself it looks like I have to retract my list of BushMaster complaints. Barring this weird bit of melodrama mine has served me well and gone bang each time I squeezed the trigger. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with insightful well thought out posts.You are true gentlemen thank you for the help.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    Ok you Bush guru, I came across something on another forum that brought about a concern for me. I read on another forum that Bushmasters are overgased, they run fine for a couple of thousands rounds and problems start. Is there any truth in that statment, and does it need attention, or is it an easy fix for a reasonalbly mechanical do it yourselfer.
    The only way to tell if a Bushmaster is "Over-gassed" is to measure the gas port in the barrel. For example a 16" bbl with a .750 barrel should have a gas port somewhere around .070 to .086. The only thing more gas is going to do is speed up the bolt. It should never cause any problems. If you are worried about it get a Sprinco buffer spring and or a heavier buffer. All Ar's require maintenance, and the extractor and spring should be replaced every 5000 rounds anyway. I have heard of gas tubes going that fast, but have never seen one burn through myself. Gas rings on the bolt wear, the bolt itself is a wear item.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Really? Yesterday somebody else was the "go to guy" for ARs. Look....if you guys can't actually bring me your your problem guns, then I'm not much help. I'd fix you up ASAP. No BS coming forthwith on the Bushmaster. Sad a guy feels embarrassed to ask about something that may not fit into the status quo around here. I've been dealing with Bushmaster for over 13 years. I have one myself. I'm just a part time gunsmith now.
    Should you have got something better? Well, I guess that goes with the flow. I keep spare parts for all of my firearms. I'm a civilian now and I do have a budget. I also have plenty of years behind each and every gun I own and that's plenty of time put in to my thinking. Many might be appalled at my choices, however my choices have always worked for me and I do put them all through the paces otherwise I simply wouldn't speak of them at all.
    Yeah, I'm just some idiot throwing out silly comments… For the record, I do not, in any way, see myself as an expert. But, I do what works and why it does.

No one should feel embarrassed about any firearm they own. If he came here first asking for advice, then went out and spent more on a Bushmaster, that's a different story. 5 Years ago, we didn't have nearly as many options, consumers weren't as educated and those that were available were harder to come by. So, though Bushmaster had the same practices as they do now, more people owned them and many tuned them to fit their requirements.

For the over-gassed comments… It's not all Bushmasters, but many are. They are not all consistent with their gas port size. One may be in spec (kind of, I'm not getting into that), then another might be .075 or even larger for a 16" barrel. Depending on the barrel steel, there's a chance it may erode sooner or faster and open up. .063 is the size that Colt, Noveske, LMT, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense and others on par use for 14.5" and 16" carbine gassed barrels. Anything larger is is potentially going to be over gassed with NATO ammo. Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic and others regularly use ports much larger, many use .070, which is tolerable only with 223 pressure ammo, but will likely be overgassed with NATO and will only get worse with wear. And, contrary to popular belief, there is no fix for this. A heavier buffer is a bandaid, but NOT a fix.

It's no big secret Bushmaster sets their rifles up for civilians shooting 223 ammo. It's also no secret that if you take 10 Bushmasters, there's a very good chance at least a few will need their "5.56" chamber reamed, as it will very likely be closer to 223. I know of an entire fleet for some contractors in Iraq that had to be reamed. We're talking well over 100 rifles new from the factory.

It's also no secret that they ship with carbine buffers. This is an easy fix, but does everyone know to fix this? What do they do when they get a deal on 855 and run a case through their Bushmaster with a carbine buffer, even if it has the proper gas port size of .063? Eventually, this will lead to a problem. Many guys will buy what they find at the shop them go about their business. This is fine, but when they run NATO ammo in their Bushmaster with a claimed 5.56 chamber, slightly larger gas port, semi carrier and carbine buffer, they will likely experience problems at some point.

I'm not bashing Bushmaster in any way, but it would be nice if they got their stuff squared away. It would be even nicer if consumers educated themselves enough on the differences so they understood the negatives to buying one, even if it's for dirt shooting. People do not know and that's the problem. It's not the rifle they own, it's that they don't know what is necessary for that rifle to perform at it's best.

A guy I know, and a couple of you may as well, is a full time LE distributor for a couple manufacturers, Bushmaster being one of them. EVERY single Bushmaster that goes out of his shop to a department is reamed and the carrier and buffer are upgraded. The staking is checked or corrected (often corrected). He deals with hundreds of these rifles. As many problems as he's seen, he's decided to do something about it up front.

The sad thing is, this is easily corrected by the shooter, but most will not take the time to understand what is needed.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; July 1st, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links