Shotgun Storage - Need Help

This is a discussion on Shotgun Storage - Need Help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad got me a Mossberg 590 for my birthday. I was looking for some help on how to store my new baby? I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Shotgun Storage - Need Help

Shotgun Storage - Need Help

My dad got me a Mossberg 590 for my birthday. I was looking for some help on how to store my new baby? I don't have a safe so it will stored empty with a gun lock (kids around). Basically I am pretty new to shotguns and want to make sure it doesn't get any rust or anything. Any ideas? Gun sock?

2. Remove Ads

I have always liked this approach: take two bike style garage hooks, and put them inside a walk in closet, above the door. That way, you have to walk in the closet and look above the door to see it. You also could possibly find a way to add an anchor into a stud to put the a cable lock around.

Unless you store it in a really humid area, rust isn't much of an issue.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks, that is exactly how I planned on storing it in terms of location. Just trying to sure it doesn't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have always liked this approach: take two bike style garage hooks, and put them inside a walk in closet, above the door. That way, you have to walk in the closet and look above the door to see it. You also could possibly find a way to add an anchor into a stud to put the a cable lock around.

Unless you store it in a really humid area, rust isn't much of an issue.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. It's how I used to store my hunting rifle when my boys were toddlers. A long time ago...in a galaxy....
    To avoid rust, give it a spray with light oil and then wipe with a soft cloth.
    ccman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4109 View Post
    Thanks, that is exactly how I planned on storing it in terms of location. Just trying to sure it doesn't rust.
    Go to a hunting/fishing/outdoors store, and buy a silicon impregnated cloth. Every once in a while, and after everytime you handle the shotgun, wipe it down.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A dead bolt on the closet door is easier to deal with than locks on the guns.

get dessicant and fill a few cloth bags with it and slide them into your storage case...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaka View Post
    ???
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    A dead bolt on the closet door is easier to deal with than locks on the guns.
    Most interior door and frames (and exterior doors not specifically designed to resist break-ins) are hardly strong enough that a deadbolt would add any additional security. Interior doors are, typically, hollow. Also keep in mind that many homes of recent build may have metal studs, which offer little--if any--support for anchors, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

you could try a shotlock or a cabinet for $115-170. shotlock is hard to beat for quick access of a loaded shotgun while still keeping it locked up. mechanical keypad so no batteries. cabinet or safe isn't terrible but in a pinch you'll need to fumble around for keys, try to spin a combo dial while crapping your pants, or trust the batteries in a digital keypad.
    LongJohn6284 and BigStick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4109 View Post
    Check out "Bore Stores".
    It looks like gray fleece, and has some silicone (I think) in it.
    They come in many sizes.

Bore Stores® Silicone-Impregnated Gun Case, Sleeves & Camo, Gun Storage, Shooting : Cabela's

The best rust preventative? Fondle it often.

VIP Member
    I have one of these.

Homak WS00018002 Long Wall Cabinet
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    If you are willing to fork more money, 511 has low profile long gun cases too. They are also great for use transportation/storage when having to evacuate in any natural disaster to a safer area. They also have a carry sling and also straps that allow it to be carried like a backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Most interior door and frames (and exterior doors not specifically designed to resist break-ins) are hardly strong enough that a deadbolt would add any additional security. Interior doors are, typically, hollow. Also keep in mind that many homes of recent build may have metal studs, which offer little--if any--support for anchors, etc.
    I was under the impression that he might be more concerned about keeping his kids safe, rather than theft of the firearm, dunno?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links