Legacy Guns

This is a discussion on Legacy Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was a kid, my Dad gave me my first gun and it was one he got from my Grandfather when I was about ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Legacy Guns

Legacy Guns

When I was a kid, my Dad gave me my first gun and it was one he got from my Grandfather when I was about 3 or so. He said that was the sole purpose of him buying the gun was to give to me as my first gun. I still have it to this day (a Savage 410/22 over and under). My Grandad had hand carved the stock as his boys had broken the original. It still bears his initials in the butt end he made out of leather.

Well, my son is now 3 and my father-in-law just passed away. As part of the situation, I was able to convince my sister-in-law to give one of his Paw Paw's guns to him and I would hold it for him until he was older, just like my Dad did for me. It is an old Savage Arms Westpoint 645 12ga shotgun.

I'm sure it will mean a lot to him as he gets older. I've also got guns my Dad gave me and guns of my own to pass to him also. Family guns always have a lot of meaning to gun people. I'm glad they saw it fit to give his only grandson one of his guns.
    RETSUPT99 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have a Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge shotgun that I absolutely crushed rabbits with when I was a kid. It is beat up, scratched, scuffed and oh so beautiful. I hope to have my son bag his first turkey with it next spring.

I also have a H&R 20 gauge passed down from my dad that my other son will get as soon as he is old enough (he's only 2).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The legacy gun is always 'priceless'...
    BugDude likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A fun little H&R 930 DA/SA 9-chamber .22LR snub nose from my grandfather who passed a few years ago. It was actually the first handgun I had ever shot when I was a kid.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    A fun little H&R 930 DA/SA 9-chamber .22LR snub nose from my grandfather who passed a few years ago. It was actually the first handgun I had ever shot when I was a kid.
    I have one of those that belonged to the preacher that Baptised me when I was a kid. When he died a few years ago at the ripe old age of 94 it was still sitting on his night stand loaded. Dr. Baker's son lived in Chicago and asked my Dad to sell it. My Dad asked a local a pawn broker what it was worth (which was next to nothing) and he bought it from the son and gave it to me just because he knows how much I like guns . That's a neat little gun with some meaningful history to me also. I've shot the heck out of that little gun, and taken my kids and some of my nephews out shooting it. It's actually helped my DA snub trigger pull a lot.

I've also got some old WWII stuff my Dad's oldest brother brought back, including two rifles. One a Carcano 7.62 with folding bayonet and original leather strap and the other a MAC Berthier 8mm carbine. Not only are both rifles matching numbers, but they both have the exact same serial number. Very unusual as one is French and the other Italian. After multiple tours as a tank batallian commander, multiple purple hearts, bronze starts, etc. he lived in France for a year after he got out. He was engaged to a French girl that worked for the Red Cross and she was to come to the US to marry him. He came back to the States and within a couple months got killed driving drunk before she ever made it to the US. My Dad ended up with all of his WWII stuff and now I have it. I love guns with history and stories. I just need to make sure to document the history of them so that the meaning stays with them long after I'm gone. Now what are the chances that someone finds two guns in the middle of WWII from different countries that have the same serial number and they remain together all these years later after he dies shortly after returning? What is even more unusual is when he died my Dad was just a kid and my Dad had another older brother and a younger sister. I'm not sure how he ended up with the collection of stuff...I guess I should ask him.

My Dad still has a single action West German 44 Magnum that he traded a Derringer for to one of my long since passed uncles (one I really thought a lot of and everyone says I remind them of) back in the 1970s. He also told me that my Grandad hand carved the wooden grips on it. Then in the 70s my Dad hand made a very ornate leather holster for it with a lot of 70s scroll work. I've tried to talk him out of that one, but it is one of only two guns he kept when he gave me his other stuff. I can understand needing to keep a couple.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links