HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader - Page 2

HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

This is a discussion on HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Eichorn Personally, I cringe at the thought of someone discharging a 12 gauge slug inside a home. You use slugs when you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    Personally, I cringe at the thought of someone discharging a 12 gauge slug inside a home. You use slugs when you need extended range out of your shotgun and don't have a rifle handy. Some folks recommend #4 buckshot for very short ranges, but 9 shot 00 buck is definitely the standard load and one that is certainly proven.
    I tend to agree, a slug seems like something useful when you are in an open area and need more range. Plenty to read up on, that's for sure.

Here are a couple of useful youtube videos on what to expect spread wise when shooting a shotgun at "self defense" ranges.

Shotgun Myth - YouTube
    Shotgun Myth (Part 2) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    Here are a couple of useful youtube videos on what to expect spread wise when shooting a shotgun at "self defense" ranges.

Shotgun Myth - YouTube
    Shotgun Myth (Part 2) - YouTube
    Not a ton of scatter but better coverage than a 5.56 or 9mm, which are my other options.

Good thing is, still need plenty of practice on the range!

Any link that you can send that discusses this?
    Sure. Here's a typical example:

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

As always, and as in all things firearms-related, there is no perfect weapon nor perfect ammunition. Consider your objectives, do your own research and make your own choices.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    2 3/4 inch oo Buck is the Gold standard. Find any of the major brands that pattern well in your gun and stock up on it when it's on sale.

Remington
    Federal
    Winchester

It's a shotgun. Don't over think it.
    ^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, it's #1 buck. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of anything coming out of a 12 gauge though. Get some cardboard and do some shooting and see what you like best. Keep in mind the ranges involved in home defense scenarios.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I use #4 or OO buck in my Mossberg 500. I also have some Winchester PDX-1s in a side saddle. I'm not to concerned with real over penetration due to the fact that it is just my wife and I so I'm not worrying about internal walls. Also my sector of fire for my shotgun leads straight down a road so I'm not worried about penetrating into another persons house. Has anyone taken a look at the Remington Ultimate Home Defense 2/4 shot rounds? Seems interesting that they are made out of a much more dense metal than a normal lead ball.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Sure. Here's a typical example:

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

As always, and as in all things firearms-related, there is no perfect weapon nor perfect ammunition. Consider your objectives, do your own research and make your own choices.
    Good info. Will definitely check out the link.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Yep, it's #1 buck. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of anything coming out of a 12 gauge though. Get some cardboard and do some shooting and see what you like best. Keep in mind the ranges involved in home defense scenarios.
    Bought a bunch of different loads this evening. Didn't see any #1 buck @ the W. Will stop by the LGS on the way to shoot. Lookin forward to some 12GA fun on Sat!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Bought a bunch of different loads this evening. Didn't see any #1 buck @ the W. Will stop by the LGS on the way to shoot. Lookin forward to some 12GA fun on Sat!
    Good luck. Shooting buck shot isn't very fun IMO. Keep your chin/cheek off of the gun so you don't bruise your face.

Like I told you in my first post, it's a shotgun. Don't over think this. What I mean by that is this: When you go to the range for testing you're going to get the crap beat out of you by the gun. You will come home bruised and sore if you shoot more than 10 rounds or so.

Let's remember the laws of physics. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If your shotgun is kicking the crap out of you then it is delivering a huge amount of force down range (not like a pistol that you can shoot all day). All of the full power 00 buck shot loads you test are going to be bad guy splatting, bone crushing power bombs (<---Courtesy of Captain Insano). They will all be more than enough to stop a threat. In fact they will be enough to go through a BG and then through the next wall or two.....Sooooo don't over think it. Find a load that patterns well in your gun and buy a ton of it when it's on sale.

Oh, and Buckshot always goes on sale in the fall, just before hunting season. Then it's even cheaper just after hunting season around Christmas time. #1 Buck is more rare than 00 buck so it’s going to cost more.
    Eichorn likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Good luck. Shooting buck shot isn't very fun IMO.
    I bought mostly game loads to compare with 00 and #1 buck. Prolly won't shoot too much of the buck shot - just wanna get patterns on a piece of paper.

I'm a hands-on learner and an engineer, so shooting different ammo loads will be an experiment and a learning experience. I realize that I'm over thinking things but after shooting a variety of loads, I hope to have a better idea of what will work best and what not so much.

Plus it gives me an excuse to take all my guns out in the woods and make noise!
    atctimmy likes this.

Went out and shot with #6, #7, #7.5, and #8 game loads. Didn't get any buck shot - ran out of time.

I was a bit concerned about being able to get on target with the pistol grip as well as how hard it would recoil.

Turns out neither was a concern. With game loads, at least, the recoil was very manageable. From 5-10 yards, I could hit anything I wanted. Sawed off 2 or 3 dead trees/stumps that were still standing. Doubt that I could hit clay pigeons but hitting something a few yards in front of me wasn't an issue.

The scatter on these loads was roughly 6 inches @ 5 yards with the majority of the pellets being in the center of the shot. When some mentioned #7 above (I apologize can't go back to page 1 to see the name), were you/they referring to #7 game loads? Seems that if game loads can obliterate a dead tree stump (12" diameter), it ought to hit a person pretty hard.

Will run some 00 and #1 buck through soon to compare recoil and the shot pattern.

It was an absolute blast to shoot with the game loads.

How are you liking the pistol grip? I replaced the pistol grip on mine with a standard stock (though it was a shorter 12" LOP - length of pull). I found the pistol grip a little unwieldy.

Another thing I recently bought for my Mossie 500 was a half-dozen of these 'snap caps' (pic below). These allow me to practice in my house. Very handy items, especially for pump shotties like our Mossbergs........

'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I have seen what these rounds do first hand#7 killed an attacker D-E-A-D,a old man heard something in his shed ,goes to investigate man jumps out on him and got a belly full from a single shot stevens shotgun.If you can get a Butcher to let you have some O of D meat,pack it in some old clothes for better understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Went out and shot with #6, #7, #7.5, and #8 game loads. Didn't get any buck shot - ran out of time.

I was a bit concerned about being able to get on target with the pistol grip as well as how hard it would recoil.

Turns out neither was a concern. With game loads, at least, the recoil was very manageable. From 5-10 yards, I could hit anything I wanted. Sawed off 2 or 3 dead trees/stumps that were still standing. Doubt that I could hit clay pigeons but hitting something a few yards in front of me wasn't an issue.

The scatter on these loads was roughly 6 inches @ 5 yards with the majority of the pellets being in the center of the shot. When some mentioned #7 above (I apologize can't go back to page 1 to see the name), were you/they referring to #7 game loads? Seems that if game loads can obliterate a dead tree stump (12" diameter), it ought to hit a person pretty hard.

Will run some 00 and #1 buck through soon to compare recoil and the shot pattern.

It was an absolute blast to shoot with the game loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    How are you liking the pistol grip? I replaced the pistol grip on mine with a standard stock (though it was a shorter 12" LOP - length of pull). I found the pistol grip a little unwieldy.

Another thing I recently bought for my Mossie 500 was a half-dozen of these 'snap caps' (pic below). These allow me to practice in my house. Very handy items, especially for pump shotties like our Mossbergs........

I enjoyed shooting with the pistol grip. And I surprised myself with accuracy when using it. I thought I'd be all over the map but I was able to hit what I wanted. Have to admit, though, I was not shooting at anything farther away than 10 yards at the most.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links