HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

This is a discussion on HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the recoil bothers you try mounting the gun tighter into your shoulder. It may seem counter intuitive but for some people it works. A ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

If the recoil bothers you try mounting the gun tighter into your shoulder. It may seem counter intuitive but for some people it works. A friend of mine used to leave his shotgun in his locker at the station unless I was riding with him. He said he got beat up by it in the academy and at qualifications so he didn't like it and didn't trust it. Long story short he was mounting the thing like it was a .22 so instead of getting "pushed" by the recoil he was getting "punched" by it.
    A lot of the difference in recoil can also be in your head. It doesn't matter if it its bird shot or buckshot or slugs. If you are throwing one ounce of lead at the same velocity the recoil is going to be the same. The only ways to change it are to reduce the throw weight or the velocity. Or you could hang ten pounds of tacticool gadgetry on it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I have seen what these rounds do first hand#7 killed an attacker D-E-A-D,a old man heard something in his shed ,goes to investigate man jumps out on him and got a belly full from a single shot stevens shotgun.If you can get a Butcher to let you have some O of D meat,pack it in some old clothes for better understanding.
    What is O of D meat? Out of Date? What do you ask for? I would think it was be something pretty sizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Another thing I recently bought for my Mossie 500 was a half-dozen of these 'snap caps' (pic below). These allow me to practice in my house. Very handy items, especially for pump shotties like our Mossbergs........

How do you practice with the snap caps? Do you simulate moving through the house or what?

VIP Member
    While there in no doubt #7 game load can be fatal, there are lots of examples of the opposite. Bird shot was developed for use on birds (<---shocking, I know) and has been known to leave nasty but superficial wounds. I have been hit with 7 or 8 shot while hunting and it was painful but didn't really do any serious damage.

Buck shot was developed for use on large animals weighing 100 to 250 pounds. Wild game is tough and covered with heavy fur. Buckshot was designed to punch through the fur and get deep into the vitals.

Remember in a HD scenario you may need to shoot through a wall or through the outstretched arms of the BG to reach the vitals. Buckshot has the power to do both of those and bird shot doesn't.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    While there in no doubt #7 game load can be fatal, there are lots of examples of the opposite. Bird shot was developed for use on birds (<---shocking, I know)

hehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    and has been known to leave nasty but superficial wounds. I have been hit with 7 or 8 shot while hunting and it was painful but didn't really do any serious damage.

Buck shot was developed for use on large animals weighing 100 to 250 pounds. Wild game is tough and covered with heavy fur. Buckshot was designed to punch through the fur and get deep into the vitals.

Remember in a HD scenario you may need to shoot through a wall or through the outstretched arms of the BG to reach the vitals. Buckshot has the power to do both of those and bird shot doesn't.
    So game load = bird shot? I need to learn more about the differences from one size to another.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    hehehe...

So game load = bird shot? I need to learn more about the differences from one size to another.
    Yes. Anything that has small BB like projectiles in it is considered bird shot. Of course bird shot can be used on rabbits and other game. Bird shot is really just a generic term.

There are larger bird shots out there for use on geese/turkeys and such. The bigger shot is called BB, T, TT and TTT and is made for big birds (Feathers are very good armor believe it or not. Many smaller shot types will not penetrate). The bigger shot can also be had in materials heavier and more dense than lead. Tungsten is one of such materials and it would offer better penetration when compared to lead shot of the same size. I believe these shot types would be somewhat effective against BGs and would certainly be better than #7 game load.

Just wait till you get the buckshot to the range. You will feel a world of difference between the recoil generated by game load and the recoil from buckshot. They are just not in the same league. Buckshot is a stone cold crusher (for you and the BG).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Here's a link to a thread at Shotgun world. Lots of gelatin testing.
    Shotgunworld.com &bull; View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3
    I use a duck/goose load, shot size is BB.
    This image is Remington Express and the wound cavity is about 1.5 inches wide and 6 in. deep ( Think shredded Gelatin ) with the majority of the shot cloud reaching 10-12 in penetration with some reaching the 15 in mark.
    birdshot_bb_rem_lead_a.jpg
    JoeK likes this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links