HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

This is a discussion on HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader and some Winchester PDX1 12 Defender rounds. Would some 00 buckshot have more scatter in the confines of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

HD load for the Mossberg 500 Persuader

Just picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader and some Winchester PDX1 12 Defender rounds.

Would some 00 buckshot have more scatter in the confines of a house compared to a slug? I have heard that in an area as small as the typical room of a house that there isn't much spread. Is that the case?

What does everyone recommend as a good HD round?

Joe
    Last edited by JoeK; June 28th, 2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added a missed word

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    2 3/4 inch oo Buck is the Gold standard. Find any of the major brands that pattern well in your gun and stock up on it when it's on sale.

Remington
    Federal
    Winchester

It's a shotgun. Don't over think it.
    JoeK likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Well a slug is not going to scatter at all so buckshot definitely would scatter more. At inside the house distances (unless you have areally big house) I wouldn't expect your patern to be much bigger than a softball. IIRC the rule of thumb is about one inch per yard from the muzzle. I have assorted brands of 9 pellet low recoil 00 buck for around the house and some Remington 15 pellet 3" magnum loads if I were to have reason to venture out and about with mine. It is all about what you are comfortable with. At inside the house distances I don't think you need to bother with the magnum loads, the nine pellet rounds are more than adequate.
    JoeK likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Number 1 Buck is the HD round I go with in my Mossie 500. Do some research and you'll see why. Nothing wrong with 00 Buck, but the number 1 has some arguments for it worth considering.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Check out Winchester pdx-1

Sent from my DROID RAZR

MJK

12 ga recommended loads for HD and LEO duty

Check out the terminal ballistics sticky on recommended 12 ga loads by DocGKR at
    M4Carbine.net.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Check out Winchester pdx-1
    That's exactly what I bought. But I'm thinking with a rifle slug and only 3 pellets in the pdx1, I might be better off with 00 or the #1 for the scatter.

The pdx1 is 2.75" load and the 500 will handle up to 3. Do they make a pdx type load that has a few more pellets?

Need to do some research, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Check out the terminal ballistics sticky on recommended 12 ga loads by DocGKR at
    M4Carbine.net.
    Heading there now! Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Number 1 Buck is the HD round I go with in my Mossie 500. Do some research and you'll see why. Nothing wrong with 00 Buck, but the number 1 has some arguments for it worth considering.
    Any link that you can send that discusses this? Sounds like something I'd enjoy learning about.

12 gauge shotgun loads for LE duty use - M4Carbine.net Forums

#1 Buck seems to be well liked in this thread.

My only issue with 00 buck or any buckshot/slug,is if you don't live in a brick/block home it can penetrate several walls and exit the home,And you are responsible for every round you send down range,S.D. or not,I have 2 mossberg Mavericks beside both thrones,that is their only purpose and they both have #7 shot in them ,this is a very devestating round out to 15-20 yards,well within range in your home,and don't have to worry about over-penetration.

I kinda like anything from #2 up to '00' for the 12GA inside the home. Granted...I seldom think of my shotty as the number one HD scenario these days. There were days in my past when a 20GA Mossberg 500A was my primary however...#4-#2 in that one. Open choke, cylinder bore, or modified, then it's what you can handle from there. I do like the 12GA '00' buck reduced recoil loads I got from TDSUS a few years ago. I have Rem 870 now. Other than that, I am quite impressed with #2 steel shot patterns at the range with my 870 at ten paces. Go with what you know I reckon. If you want to take out the driver in the getaway car, or the car itself I'd definitely go with slugs. Inside home may very well be uncivilized. Backstop ring any bells?
    I'm no expert. I'd just like to be one someday depending on the salary.

Personally, I cringe at the thought of someone discharging a 12 gauge slug inside a home. You use slugs when you need extended range out of your shotgun and don't have a rifle handy. Some folks recommend #4 buckshot for very short ranges, but 9 shot 00 buck is definitely the standard load and one that is certainly proven.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

2 3/4", 00 Buck, in my Mossie 500.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    My only issue with 00 buck or any buckshot/slug,is if you don't live in a brick/block home it can penetrate several walls and exit the home,And you are responsible for every round you send down range,S.D. or not,I have 2 mossberg Mavericks beside both thrones,that is their only purpose and they both have #7 shot in them ,this is a very devestating round out to 15-20 yards,well within range in your home,and don't have to worry about over-penetration.
    Guess I'm going to have to buy a little of all these loads and do some testing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links