Side saddle

This is a discussion on Side saddle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok. So I'm not a gunsmith but I did find a great YouTube video on breaking down my Mossberg 500 and installed a side saddle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Side saddle

Side saddle

Ok. So I'm not a gunsmith but I did find a great YouTube video on breaking down my Mossberg 500 and installed a side saddle shell holder. I'm kinda leary to shoot it though. I can fill it with shells and rack them through flawlesly but I'm still not 100% confident in that first shot. What would be the best way to "test" it.

Donnie

2. Remove Ads

Um....shoot it?
    Rollo, daveb413 and atctimmy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hmmmm. Only one smart ass reply?

OD*
    You can't possibly know if it's going to fire, without firing it. There wasn't anything smart ass about the reply.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

You did a "function test" by cycling rounds through it, however others have said... Shoot it, it's the only way to know 100%

Sent from this... Using that...

Sorry for the stupid question. I was just concerned that it might "come apart" and wondered if there were any precautions I should take.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I did a do it yourself job and installed a side saddle. It shoots just fine. Follow the directions and you will be ok.

If you followed the directions you should be fine. I used blue loctite on mine and never had a problem. As far as I know, the only way you could screw up the installation of a side saddle is if you overtightened the bolt/nut and caused the action to freeze up; but you said it cycles so you should be good to go.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Not a stupid question, I would fire it to see. :)

OK. Goggles, gloves and a 4x8 chunk of 3/4" plywood with arm holes punched in it should do the trick. Never too cautious. Just kidding....the more I think of it the more I over think it.

So....you are afraid the side saddle will come off, that the shells in it will fall out, or that you've put the action in a bind from installing? Or do you mean that you're wondering if you broke it down and reassembled your shotgun correctly? If you don't have any spare parts laying on your workbench, then you more than likely got it right. If not....we can help here if needed. YouTube is pretty good, but it's like buying insurance....always get at least three estimates. If the side saddle was made specific for your shotgun model, and you followed the instructions, then it's good to go. I'm a fan of blue Loc-Tite on some things....not everything. If you can cycle the action then you didn't put anything in a bind from the install. I have seen folks bind up semi-auto shotguns when installing scope mounts side or top. Many people over-tighten fastening hardware for some reason and I'm not just talking about gunsmithing here.
    test it? Well......I've been known to dole out plenty of S-A replies myself...but the option other than ultimately shooting it is to dry fire it if you are willing to do that for function test. One dry fire shouldn't hurt your bolt or pin. Most pump shotguns are relatively easy to break down and reassemble. The Mossbergs and Remingtons especially since they are more prevalent with military and law enforcement use and get detail stripped and cleaned more often for maintenance. Unless you punch out any pins or remove any springs (other than magazine spring), you have little to worry about.

P95
    If you don't have the @%#$$ to shoot it....let your wife shoot it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Hmmmm. Only one smart ass reply?
    I had plenty more...but this single one seemed sufficient.

As a note, I too have a Mossy 500 that I personally installed side saddle, folding stock, tac light, etc. on a little while back and once I was done, I simply loaded it up and shot it....multiple times...and it was sweet. So, the basis of my reply was actually personal experience with the exact same subject matter.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sorry. It was early..the coffee hadn't quite kicked in yet. I might have to switch to a folding stock like yours. I went with a pistol grip only. I'll know after the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So....you are afraid the side saddle will come off, that the shells in it will fall out, or that you've put the action in a bind from installing? Or do you mean that you're wondering if you broke it down and reassembled your shotgun correctly? If you don't have any spare parts laying on your workbench, then you more than likely got it right. If not....we can help here if needed. YouTube is pretty good, but it's like buying insurance....always get at least three estimates. If the side saddle was made specific for your shotgun model, and you followed the instructions, then it's good to go. I'm a fan of blue Loc-Tite on some things....not everything. If you can cycle the action then you didn't put anything in a bind from the install. I have seen folks bind up semi-auto shotguns when installing scope mounts side or top. Many people over-tighten fastening hardware for some reason and I'm not just talking about gunsmithing here.
    test it? Well......I've been known to dole out plenty of S-A replies myself...but the option other than ultimately shooting it is to dry fire it if you are willing to do that for function test. One dry fire shouldn't hurt your bolt or pin. Most pump shotguns are relatively easy to break down and reassemble. The Mossbergs and Remingtons especially since they are more prevalent with military and law enforcement use and get detail stripped and cleaned more often for maintenance. Unless you punch out any pins or remove any springs (other than magazine spring), you have little to worry about.
    Thanks. I'm sure its fine. It was a simple Mossberg 500 and now it's a very intimidating 18.25" barrel bad ass looking SD gun. I'm sure it will be fine as it does everything just as before the mod's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links