Entry level AR?

This is a discussion on Entry level AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod I figure you can pick up a Bushmaster for around $850 these days.......of course that's scraping the bottom of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Entry level AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I figure you can pick up a Bushmaster for around $850 these days.......of course that's scraping the bottom of the barrel around here, but entry level it is.
    Shame on you
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I agree with Jon...seeing that I learned most of the technical stuff from him anyhow.

Here is a good trustworthy site to order a PSA rifle from. They sell fast at these prices so they are rarely in stock. You need to check daily of have in an e-mail alert.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!

All guns are not created equally and the lowest price gun is spec-ed with less quality parts than the higher two. All three are better than a Del-Ton.

Here is PSA's website for you to research.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory
    Will check these out. Thank you.
    NRA Life Member

PSA, Palmetto State Amory does have a sale going one right now. If you don't want to doe the full build thing, your can buy a full lower from them for 299.95. and a full upper in your choice of 20" or 16" for about 418, that puts you in a new world class gun for about 718. You need a couple of mags, and that does not include a rear sight or optics. They are also shipping everthing for free right now, and no sales tax. I just bought that 20" upper myself, so my ar will be a 20" scoped gun or a 16" iron sight gun in seconds. You can catch a decent rear sight for under 30 on ebay, and the best mags are pmags, around 13 to 14 each. To find the lower Complete PSA AR-15 Lower - MOE Edition, to shop the upper http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/ complete-uppers.html and the 16" madness, and 20" madness deals are on this page

One thing was not clear, that 418 deal, look for the 299.95 madness upper sale items, after you add the bolt carrier group, and charging handle your total will right at 418. These items require no tools, and just go together in a few seconds, and you have a complete fireable weapon, with only other need is a rear sight or scope, and and some mags.

Seems no one mentions spikes tactical anymore
    I have had one a while and love it. Awesome quality

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I just picked up the M&P Sport. I took it to the range Wednesday and it ate up the cheap Tula Ammo without hesitating. I'm happy with my choice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    The winds of the AR world blow fickle my friend. I think Spikes went out of fashion because of back ups and slow turn around times.......and that ugly spider.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

RKM
    For an "entry level" hobby gun, the best choice is the M&P15 Sport. For an entry level defensive gun... well, there really is no entry level. You can buy AR's from some of the best makers for only a hundred or two more than lower quality AR's.

The M&P15 Sport will work for the vast majority of AR15 users. And for the price tag of $600 or so, it's hard to go wrong. I do believe it would be reliable enough for defensive use. Reliable enough for Baghdad? Probably not, but like you said, you're not going there anytime soon :)

I'd like to get the Sport myself, just as a toy.

Now if you're planning on going for a hard use, no nonsense rifle..... I may be biased because I use an M&P15X, but I believe that the M&P15's (non-sport models) are about the "lowest" quality serious rifle you can get. The bad part is, most gun shops sell them for the same price (or more) as Colt's. I run an "H" buffer and BCM full auto BCG in mine because the gas port is a little over gassed. But that's to assure reliability with lesser quality ammo. I may go to an "H2" buffer. Some may look down on the 1:9 twist, but honestly.... unless you're shooting 77gr ammo passed 150-200 yards, you won't NEED a 1:7 twist. I've accurately shot 75gr ammo at 100 yards with ease in my 1:9. The 1:7 is preferred, but I wouldn't turn a rifle down simply because it's 1:9.

I picked up a DPMS Oracle for $570 and dropped $90 for a Bushnell red dot. I'm not out rolling around in the dirt with it, so it does fine for my needs. Yes, I could have dropped $1K plus for something else that I am sure would be the ultimate AR, but at this point, I don't feel guilty if I don't have time to get out and shoot it as much as I would like.
    Rigrat likes this.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    I picked up a DPMS Oracle for $570 and dropped $90 for a Bushnell red dot. I'm not out rolling around in the dirt with it, so it does fine for my needs. Yes, I could have dropped $1K plus for something else that I am sure would be the ultimate AR, but at this point, I don't feel guilty if I don't have time to get out and shoot it as much as I would like.
    As long as you're realistic with your needs, wants an expectations of the trifle, you did just fine. Almost any available AR15 today will good, reliable and fun enough for simple range shooting, if that's what the rifle is intended for. I would personally have no problem using a DPMS as a cheap range gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    This would be my choice. ST-15 16 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $865.95 : Spikes Tactical love them!!!

My personal AR is a Colt upper w/ a DPMS lower. I bought it used for $500. The only addition I made was a flashlight and she runs like a champ. My Dept issued me a Bushmaster M4 for a patrol rifle. That also ran like a champ when I took it through the Carbine Instructor School in 2008. It has continue to run well ever since. Before I took the M4 to the Carbine School, it had some extraction issues. That was quickly fixed with a "D" ring over the spring.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    My personal AR is a Colt upper w/ a DPMS lower. I bought it used for $500. The only addition I made was a flashlight and she runs like a champ. My Dept issued me a Bushmaster M4 for a patrol rifle. That also ran like a champ when I took it through the Carbine Instructor School in 2008. It has continue to run well ever since. Before I took the M4 to the Carbine School, it had some extraction issues. That was quickly fixed with a "D" ring over the spring.
    What do you mean a "D" ring over the spring?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The winds of the AR world blow fickle my friend. I think Spikes went out of fashion because of back ups and slow turn around times.......and that ugly spider.
    …and their price gouging during the elections that they blamed on their distributors, who quickly made it public that Spikes was responsible, not them. I know I'll sound like a jerk saying this, but I usually do anyway so I don't care, but Spike's also has a particular following. So, right or wrong, they seemed to be associated with a certain type of buyer. I know that sounds stupid, but it is what it is. As for quality, I believe they make a good rifle.

+1 on the M&P Sport. Got one about 6 months ago and it has performed great with lots of different ammo. Bought a CMMG .22LR bolt so I could shoot cheaply and that works great in the Sport, as well.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd strongly consider purchasing a PSA. From what I've read/heard they have really good quality for the $$. I've been in one of their stores and everyone there is very helpful and friendly.

When I wanted to change out the buttstock on my Sport, the gentleman @ PSA actually fitted one on the Sport they had in stock to ensure that it was Mil-Spec and not commercial. That spoke volumes for me since it was a $60 part with most likely minimal mark up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links