Entry level AR?

This is a discussion on Entry level AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a noob to the AR platform but have been very interested in acquiring one. I was wondering what you guys reccomend as an entry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Entry level AR?

Entry level AR?

I'm a noob to the AR platform but have been very interested in acquiring one. I was wondering what you guys reccomend as an entry level AR? I'm not looking for something to storm Baghdad with, just something to shoot occassionally and be reliable enough in a SD situation. I've kinda had my eyes on M&P sport and DPMS...
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Del-Ton You can probably pick one up for $1000 or under, complete and simple.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    The thing about ARs is that there really isn't an entry level. Top shelf stuff is available within a hundred to two hundred bucks of the bottom feeders. The S&W M&P Sport is made by a reputable company and truly is aimed at the entry level buyer. DPMS just makes junk.

If you are looking for the best possible "all around" deal on a "good" AR I'll suggest looking at Palmetto State Armory. there is so much more to this though and you'd better put your reading hat on.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Del-Ton You can probably pick one up for $1000 or under, complete and simple.
    Crap. You can get a Colt or BCM for $1050. You could get a PSA for $700 and it would be better than a Del Ton. OP you really need to study this stuff. Do a search and get cracking. Otherwise you'll overspend and get a turd.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I'm halfway through a PSA build. The grand total is looking to be around $700, including optics. The PSA lower and trigger all seem good. The guy I bought it from did some polishing, so I'm not sure how a bone stock PSA trigger really is.

I've got a friend with a DPMS that runs pretty well, but I hear that is the exception rather than the rule.

I keep forgetting what else I was going to say, so I'll just say PSA.

sgb
    one stop shopping - PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 Patrol Rifle Package $1,199.99

scgunlover1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport. It's well made and has been trouble free in typical plinking and range use. Plus I have used it for a handful of 3 gun matches and it has performed flawlessly. The MSRP is $739.
    Tactical Rifles - Smith & Wesson
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I have the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport. It's well made and has been trouble free in typical plinking and range use. Plus I have used it for a handful of 3 gun matches and it has performed flawlessly. The MSRP is $739.Tactical Rifles - Smith & Wesson
    . Same here. I love mine and it too has ran perfectly over several hundred rounds. Great buy IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

When it comes to quality, buy once, cry once. As someone much wiser than I has pointed out, you need to identify your purpose. If you're buying it for "shooting at cans and dirt clods", then you don't need the full stroke. If you're looking for a SD/HD weapon, then your requirements are a little more stringent. If you're counting on the weapon to save your life sometime, you won't scrimp on anything. Colt, BCM, and Daniels seem to be the top three in the AR community. My well-used Colt cost me $900 and has been an absolutely perfect shooter and easy to upgrade with new parts. With so many companies building AR's, the hardest part is figuring out what is what and which is which. I read through hundreds of gun-blog posts before I put any money down. Luckily, there are some real experts amongst us and I appreciate their time in answering my questions. The devil is in the details, and the top manufacturers are all about the details.

I appreciate that there are better, more expensive models and manufacturers but a $1000+ rifle to sit in a safe, only being shot a half dozen times a year, doesn't work well with me. I'm a young guy with a small collection looking to build on for enjoyment. I'm a whipped (fairly) newly wed, I'm only allowed to spend so much so often on new weapons so I have to make my dollars stretch. That $600-750 range is really what I was looking to be in for my purpose of really just range plinking a majority of the time. S&W sport falls there, and also after the above recommendation, the Del-Ton sport is looking interesting (someone has one for sale locally for $600 if that's a good price?)
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdawgderek View Post
    I appreciate that there are better, more expensive models and manufacturers but a $1000+ rifle to sit in a safe, only being shot a half dozen times a year, doesn't work well with me. I'm a young guy with a small collection looking to build on for enjoyment. I'm a whipped (fairly) newly wed, I'm only allowed to spend so much so often on new weapons so I have to make my dollars stretch. That $600-750 range is really what I was looking to be in for my purpose of really just range plinking a majority of the time. S&W sport falls there, and also after the above recommendation, the Del-Ton sport is looking interesting (someone has one for sale locally for $600 if that's a good price?)
    Shop hard. I bought my M&P for $600 + shipping and FFL and it wasn't the Sport. It was the fully spec-ed gun.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Even with your budget, you can buy the Palmetto State, which is all built to spec and will be smoother and more reliable than the Del-Ton. If you buy a Del-Ton for the same price as the PSA after all that has been said, that's cool I guess. I just can't understand buying less for the same money.

Edit - I would certainly, without a doubt, take the M&P over the Del-Ton as well. I take a lot of stuff over the Del-Ton, actually, if it for was to stick in the safe just to say I had one.
    gottabkiddin, sgb and Cuda66 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

S&W Sport Fail? I think not. It's just like any other firearm out there; you can have one break after one round , or it might run for ten thousand rounds without fail. The firearm might cost several hundred dollars, or it might be only a couple of hundred bucks who knows. I dare say a well kept 15 Sport would serve most any situation that might arise. If you find yourself in the middle east then gun-up, otherwise a decent AR should last ya a lifetime; plus you can always build onto the platform.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I agree with Jon...seeing that I learned most of the technical stuff from him anyhow.

Here is a good trustworthy site to order a PSA rifle from. They sell fast at these prices so they are rarely in stock. You need to check daily of have in an e-mail alert.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!

All guns are not created equally and the lowest price gun is spec-ed with less quality parts than the higher two. All three are better than a Del-Ton.

Here is PSA's website for you to research.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory
    Mark Twain:

I figure you can pick up a Bushmaster for around $850 these days.......of course that's scraping the bottom of the barrel around here, but entry level it is.

Distinguished Member
    Doublestar's entry-level rifle is going for $669 at Buds.

Everything I've hear about them says that they're very good rifles, especially at that price point. I've never heard a bad report about that one. I have a buddy with one, and it's always performed admirably when we've shot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links