Defensive Carry banner

Wow! 'Snap caps' really facilitate shottie practice in my house!

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  hoghunter84 
#1 ·
Recently I bought six 12ga 'snap caps', made by "A-Zoom". I've been using them to practice acquiring/handling/cycling my Mossberg 500 from its storage position at home. And man, these things are really terrific. They allow me to handle the gun around the house, just like I would in a real situation. And I can 'fire' and cycle the rack without blowing my house apart, LOL. Of course, when pulling the trigger (even loaded with just a snap cap) I have the gun pointed in a safe direction. But still, I can easily (and for zero dollars) practice handling this firearm in my house.

If you can't get to the range, or just want to brush up on how it might feel to actually operate your shottie inside your house (instead of only at the range), then by all means, grab some of these snap caps and have at it. These are same size and weight as 2 3/4" shells. They are available in assorted sizes. Very handy items! I can't believe I waited this long to buy some. :rolleyes:

-

See less See more
#2 ·
Are they hard on the firing pin though?

#4 ·
Yep.....snap caps are the best thing for gunsmiths or the practice session. Better than dry fire and beating your firing pin do death IMO.

#6 ·
I too love snap caps; I have them in .40, .45, 6.8 spc, 30-30 and 12 ga. They are an excellent training tool, particular for a gun like a pump shotgun, where there is a lot of handling of the cartridge and the gun "to make it work". I have found that because their is no recoil, they are very good for training yourself to instinctively pump the action and to do so faster, during recoil (when firing live rounds, obviously).
Why are they called 'snap caps'? Do they make noise?
They don't make noise. There is only the "snap" normally associated with dry firing a gun.

Oh, and a friendly reminder: apparently some folks have gotten a "BANG" instead of "click" when doing "dry fire" practice. Not saying anyone here would do that, but you know...just be careful. :gah:

#12 ·
I use snap caps in my CCW classes 2-3 times a week. I've been using the 9mm snap caps for a while and when I got them from my boss the paint was almost gone and really scratched up. I couldn't tell you how many times they have been cycled thru a pistol and they still do their job like they were new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.