sniper type rifle? - Page 2

sniper type rifle?

This is a discussion on sniper type rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on this idea. Take all the money you save and spend it on ammo and practice, practice, practice. Maybe do one of the Appleseed ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: sniper type rifle?

+1 on this idea. Take all the money you save and spend it on ammo and practice, practice, practice. Maybe do one of the Appleseed shoots. If you are anything like me your rifle likely has more inherant accuracy than you do. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

An off-the-shelf Remington 700 or a Savage rifle can fill the bill quite nicely.

Consider the Savage 12 FLV in .223, which comes with a 26in barrel and adjustable trigger. The Remington 700 SPS might also be a good choice, in .223 or .243 chambering.

On the Rem700 SPS Varmint, my two changes included a Jewell HVR trigger and a custom fiberglass stock, both of which made dramatic improvements in accuracy. With the Rem700, I've been able to achieve frequent same-ragged-hole groupings at 100yds and regular 1/2in to 1in groupings at 300yds. 1000yds performance is marginal for me, but that's due to my lack as a marksman, not the rifle.

Ditto on the practice/practice/practice recommendation. That's the route I took, first gaining comfort and then a modicum of proficiency. Went from .223 to .243 as I began to explore 600-1000yds. By far, comfort level behind the sights made the most difference, and that came from 'saddle' time. Next best improvement was the trigger (on the Rem700). Installing a stiffer, better-fitted stock also improved comfort level and repeatability. At greater distances, a better scope would help, but I found a simple Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50mm scope to be plenty for me, for the time being. If ever I begin to approach local competition accuracy, I'll consider better glass, but until then the cash says in ammo and range time.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You're throwing out some conflicting requirements there. "Very accurate but not too much money" and "sniper type rifle" for starters! Do you want to splatter mosquitoes on the target at 50 yards, or take out a moving, man-sized threat at 600 yards? I've got a Ruger 10/22 that will handle the former, and I've got maybe $400 in the gun. On the other hand, my best friend and shooting buddy has a $1500 Remington 700 with the asymmetrical rifling and a $2000 Nightforce scope, and he invested about 4 grand in training at Storm Mountain so he could actually hit stuff out to 600 yards and beyond.

My suggestion is to narrow down what you're really looking for; consider realistic scenarios; then superimpose what you're willing to invest in terms of the hardware, the ammo and the training. Here's a first cut: for a true "SHTF" weapon, you can just about rule out anything other than a semi-auto.

Give it some thought, and post back.
    +1

Accurate sniper rifle and cheap are just two things that don't go together. Decide upon specific requirements of you want this thing to do and find out what kind of equipment it will take to acquire the results you're looking for, etc. From here, you'll have to decide if you can afford the tools of the trade. Like what Smitty was saying, you're going to find that there's a compromise with everything. If you're looking for great accuracy at a reasonable price, consider the Remington 700 BDL bolt-action guns. If you're looking for something in semi-auto and want reasonable accuracy in something that's larger than 5.56, then you might want to consider the .308 LMT rifle - like the one Pigman shoots. He can do quick follow-ups but I wouldn't expect the gun to be as accurate as the bolt-action BDL. These are just examples, you really need to specifically define your task and select equipment accordingly. I'm sure you can build a competition AR that will smoke the LMT but now you're talking money - again, there are compromises with all of this stuff. Before you focus on equipment though, I'd probably start with an examination of the ballistics you need. A .308, for example, is never going to be a .338 Lapua no matter how much money you put into it so don't even try.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you are coming along, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    If you are thinking of being able to engage targets out to 600 yards you probably will want to start thinking about getting a rangefinder also. You still have to know know how far away the target is. Start saving for it now and get a good one. The same for a scope. Optics is no place to save money.

VIP Member
    Sightron and Nightforce make super scopes.

Where I live I have some wide open spaces around me. I have 180 degree area out to about 600+ yds. I have a scoped bolt and AR, both in .308
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

P95
    Just get you a good Savage 22-250.....nothing will be it out to 700 yards....look at the ballistics.....unless you shoot a cannon. You did say rifle...right?

Remington 700 MilSpec 5R in .308

Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I would go the military surplus route..German K98 comes to mind or a Swiss K31.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    if i were to get a sniper type rifle what would you recomend? I would want it to be very accurate but not to much money, it would be used for target and SHTF situations. im thinking a bolt action style rifle but what cal. would be best with lots of power and accuracy...
    As atctimmy pointed out, SHTF + sniper + target is going to be a compromise.

I recently picked up an FNAR .308, and think it is the best compromise anyone's come up with yet! It's been credited with being one of the most accurate centerfire semi-autos available (< 1 MOA), packs 20 rounds of .308/7.62 NATO, and is fairly light and quick-handling, for a major-caliber rifle. I've got a Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40 scope on mine, and I love it. It is a joy to shoot, although I haven't had a chance to do any serious accuracy evaluation yet.

It's got the accuracy and range for a 'sniper' gun, a decent big-game caliber for hunting, is a magazine-fed semi-auto (for SHTF), and is based on a very time-proven design (BAR).

Dunno what you consider "too much money", but I have about $1300 into mine (gun + glass) with an extra mag (brand new - got a very good deal on it at my LGS). Give it a look!

Regards,
    Jim

I have a few of the big boys, two are Barretts, and I find myself shooting 308 the most for precision. My SCAR H is quite accurate, but my 700 is even more, and much less expensive. You can take a Remington in 308 or 300, get into it for very little, then slowly change or add what you need to tune it to your needs.

I think the 308 is one of the best for general purpose, while the 300 or 338 Lapua is one of the best for extreme range. The 243 is good too, but I don't have any experience with it. All of mine are fighting rifles, so I look at durability and reliability first.

If this was some type of SHTF precision rig, I'd go for a 14.5" or 16" AR in 5.56 or something similar in 308. I could easily get by with my 14.5", one of my SCARs or a LaRue PredatOBR. With the right ammo, 5.56 can be extremely effective at very long range. I won't get into detail unless you ask, but if we're talking 500 yards and closer, I wouldn't even look at anything bigger than 308 and would probably stick with 5.56.
    atctimmy and DefConGun like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I am a Remington 700 fan as well

Distinguished Member
    I'm a big fan of 300 win mag but that's my hunting Weatherby. I done some work on it, etc. Fine gun. But from a caliber point of view and based on your op, the 308 is a damn fine round. And cheaper than the 300 if you're buying ammo. One advantage of the 300 is it's versatility in hand loads. It's got a fairly broad range.

Enjoy these tough decisions! They're kind of fun.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

SHTF sniping

So this thread raises a question that I have been pondering. In a SHTF scenario, who here is going to "reach out and touch" someone at 500+ yards? I would assume that there will be some LEO presence, or Federal/Military presence, and putting lead into people at 500+ yards seems to be somewhat not smart to me. Now don't get all ready to flame, I am trying to discuss a scenario where, you reach out and touch, at 500 yards, and it's turns out that person was not a threat. Yes, he might have looked like he was casing you, but he might have just been some guy trying to get past some other threats, etc... I was told that most military engagements happen 75 and under yards, where there is a real indication of a threat "he was running at me with an AK blazing, officer". What if the person you shot was a scout, a military person, a scout, etc... and what happens then is a large force appears at your door, drags you off, confiscates your weapons, and now your family has been left defenseless. Just wondering how people here would handle such a scenario, I know the "if there is a sniper out there, you have to hit them before they hit you" but that seems quite difficult/impractical. Any ideas on this sort of scenario? It's one of the reasons I did not buy a bolt action, and went with an AR-10 built, as it's a more practical (IMO) battle rifle, for when zombies are marching in, vs. sniping what you thought were zombies at 1000 yards.
    atctimmy and Kilowatt3 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    So this thread raises a question that I have been pondering. In a SHTF scenario, who here is going to "reach out and touch" someone at 500+ yards? I would assume that there will be some LEO presence, or Federal/Military presence, and putting lead into people at 500+ yards seems to be somewhat not smart to me. Now don't get all ready to flame, I am trying to discuss a scenario where, you reach out and touch, at 500 yards, and it's turns out that person was not a threat. Yes, he might have looked like he was casing you, but he might have just been some guy trying to get past some other threats, etc... I was told that most military engagements happen 75 and under yards, where there is a real indication of a threat "he was running at me with an AK blazing, officer". What if the person you shot was a scout, a military person, a scout, etc... and what happens then is a large force appears at your door, drags you off, confiscates your weapons, and now your family has been left defenseless. Just wondering how people here would handle such a scenario, I know the "if there is a sniper out there, you have to hit them before they hit you" but that seems quite difficult/impractical. Any ideas on this sort of scenario? It's one of the reasons I did not buy a bolt action, and went with an AR-10 built, as it's a more practical (IMO) battle rifle, for when zombies are marching in, vs. sniping what you thought were zombies at 1000 yards.
    I agree. My "tactical" rifle is an AR-15. It's extremely accurate and good out past 600 yards. I cannot fathom a situation where I'd need to engage a target farther than about 300. If the BGs are past 300 yds you're better off evading than fighting. If you've never shot out to 300 (or further) you just don't realize how far away from a threat you really are.

I shoot 69 or 77 gr SMKs and they will get me out to 800 if I absolutely had too. I don't think I'm good enough at that range for it to matter anyhow but the gun could do it.

IMO sniping is offensive in nature and we as civilians need to have a defensive mindset.

ETA: Ha ha Jon I beat you to it. : )
    DefConGun and mkh like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    I don't think it would ever be a possibility. The ONLY way I could see it AT ALL, would be in a major SHTF like Katrina or worse, where there was an obvious threat farther down the block. There were a few cases of this with Katrina, but I can't quote it specifically. For me, I think in the worst of situation, 50 yards to 100 would be a max, and that's really pushing it. All of which I could do with my 10.5" AR.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links