sniper type rifle?

This is a discussion on sniper type rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BaldSasq So this thread raises a question that I have been pondering. In a SHTF scenario, who here is going to "reach ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: sniper type rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    So this thread raises a question that I have been pondering. In a SHTF scenario, who here is going to "reach out and touch" someone at 500+ yards? I would assume that there will be some LEO presence, or Federal/Military presence, and putting lead into people at 500+ yards seems to be somewhat not smart to me. Now don't get all ready to flame, I am trying to discuss a scenario where, you reach out and touch, at 500 yards, and it's turns out that person was not a threat. Yes, he might have looked like he was casing you, but he might have just been some guy trying to get past some other threats, etc... I was told that most military engagements happen 75 and under yards, where there is a real indication of a threat "he was running at me with an AK blazing, officer". What if the person you shot was a scout, a military person, a scout, etc... and what happens then is a large force appears at your door, drags you off, confiscates your weapons, and now your family has been left defenseless. Just wondering how people here would handle such a scenario, I know the "if there is a sniper out there, you have to hit them before they hit you" but that seems quite difficult/impractical. Any ideas on this sort of scenario? It's one of the reasons I did not buy a bolt action, and went with an AR-10 built, as it's a more practical (IMO) battle rifle, for when zombies are marching in, vs. sniping what you thought were zombies at 1000 yards.
    Myself, I'm not too concerned with any shots needing to be made over 200-300 yards, specific to where I live. Now that being said, I'm not too sure about how well or even if zombies can drive or not. But if they can, they get their engine block taken out with a 375 H&H mag. and all of my autos are for when they scatter.

The scoped .338 Win. is for the unlikely event that I identify a threat farther than 300 yards. I just don't see that being very probable in my arena. More likely, SHTF would consist of a "sniper" type rifle being used to hunt. For me anyway.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Exactly

IMO sniping is offensive in nature and we as civilians need to have a defensive mindset.

You said it as perfectly as I couldn't think to, sniping will be seen as offensive, not defensive. Avoiding isn't an option, if as my situation, I have prepared to weather it out, plenty of preps at home. I look around, and see at most 250 yards of visible terrain, the rest being woods/hills where view is obstructed. I think maybe a best option for total TSHTF would be a strong battle rifle, I have AR-15's as well, and have AP rounds for both Ar-15 and Ar-10, just that this thread really woke me up to "I can't hit jack-S past 300 yards, my rifle, in trained hands could, but I can't."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    if i were to get a sniper type rifle what would you recomend? I would want it to be very accurate but not to much money, it would be used for target and SHTF situations. im thinking a bolt action style rifle but what cal. would be best with lots of power and accuracy. does remington,winchester,browning, or other manufacture have good selections to choose from. or would i be better off with an ar style rifle instead since i want to get one of them anyway one day so to kill 2 birds with one stone.
    M91\30 mosen nagant, $100-200, dont even need a scope as as much killing power as 308. Vasilly seitsef(i cant remember the spelling) killed 3 germans with 3 shots at 800m no scope and regular issue rifle
    BaldSasq likes this.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Can you outshoot today's deer rifle? Most are MOA rifles or close to it.

How heavy a rifle can you carry all day?

How much can you actually spend?

The best de-fence is a good of-fense.

At this point I choose to quit following this thread for good reasons. I also realize my response was not necessary nor warranted. Indeed I might need to quit taking things seriously. I should know by now.

I don't know the current price but I have a Savage 110fp that I paid $309 for years ago. I spent another $20 on a glass bed kit from Brownells and about an hour with an exacto knife working the stock. It is insanely accurate. If you are patient and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty you can get a lot more than you pay for.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Can you outshoot today's deer rifle? Most are MOA rifles or close to it.

How heavy a rifle can you carry all day?

How much can you actually spend?

snip
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I don't know the current price but I have a Savage 110fp that I paid $309 for years ago. I spent another $20 on a glass bed kit from Brownells and about an hour with an exacto knife working the stock. It is insanely accurate. If you are patient and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty you can get a lot more than you pay for.
    This was my point in my original post. I have a standard Remington 700 BDL that I paid $600 for about 8 years ago. It has glass and pillar bedding that I paid a gunsmith to do (but I have since glass bedded three other rifles and it's not very hard). It shoots .3 to .75 inch groups at 100 yds with handloads (the average being closer to .75). That is more accurate than real, actual sniper rifles from 50 years ago. A modern, high quality deer rifle is a formidable weapon and it doesn't weigh 12 pounds.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

for the cash, nothing will outshoot a savage out of the box...

here is my savge 260, and me hitting a goundhog in the head at 1/2 mile...

savage 260 i built
    shillen match barrel
    all nitrided
    SAV1 trigger
    PTG fluted bolt
    TacOps bolt handel
    Mcrees DBM stock /10rd mags
    ERGO grip
    accushot mono pod
    Weaver TAC 20 moa base
    American Defense 20 MOA QD mount "40moa total"
    Vortex Razor 6.5x20 ebr3

the hog it hit..

Honestly if you want a Zombie Sniper rifle, get yourself a sporterized .303 British Lee Enfield. It is one of if not the Best & Fastest action out there.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Senior Moderator
    Honestly if you want a Zombie Sniper rifle, get yourself a sporterized .303 British Lee Enfield. It is one of if not the Best & Fastest action out there.
    Only problem is that .303 ammo isnt so easy to come by.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you. I have built several #4T for the vintage sniper matches and found them to inaccurate. yes they are cheap and fun to shot with the bolt system and have a 10 round detachable mag. The ballistics of the .303 are not that great. I had to switch over to the 1903 Rem for the match. We have several built now 30.06 they can almost keep up with the moderns at 600 yards.
    Enfield.jpg

For the SHTF sniper on a budget. find a used Tikka 300 win mag. put a bi-pod on it and you are set for about 700.00 with scope. I see these all the time at gun shows for 500-600 with the scopes. You could always use for deer hunting. It will be pretty light for a sniper rifle but will shoot good and has a detachable mag.

Another option of course is cruise the gun shows for a Mauser 98 with a good action and do a barrel swap. IIRC if you get either a 8mm our an Argentine the bolt face is already good for either 30.06 or .308. Swap the barrel and the bolt handle and you are ready to go.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would go no further than my Marlin XL7 30-06 bolt action. I even left the factory scope on and can shoot good enough for any situation I believe I might come across. Now that is a "sniper" rifle on a budget.
    mprp and atctimmy like this.

Regarding the savage arms, what is the difference with the accu trigger option. I was intrigued by the above post, looked at their web site and for .308, they have models ranging from 350 to 1k...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you. I have built several #4T for the vintage sniper matches and found them to inaccurate. yes they are cheap and fun to shot with the bolt system and have a 10 round detachable mag. The ballistics of the .303 are not that great. I had to switch over to the 1903 Rem for the match. We have several built now 30.06 they can almost keep up with the moderns at 600 yards.
    Enfield.jpg

For the SHTF sniper on a budget. find a used Tikka 300 win mag. put a bi-pod on it and you are set for about 700.00 with scope. I see these all the time at gun shows for 500-600 with the scopes. You could always use for deer hunting. It will be pretty light for a sniper rifle but will shoot good and has a detachable mag.
    True, they aren't most accurate, but OP wanted it for a SHTF rifle for zombies or something lol in which case I think it could work, but like you said yes they aren't the most accurate. Even the (T) Models. I have 1 and a Jungle Enfield.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links