sniper type rifle?

sniper type rifle?

This is a discussion on sniper type rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; if i were to get a sniper type rifle what would you recomend? I would want it to be very accurate but not to much ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: sniper type rifle?

sniper type rifle?

if i were to get a sniper type rifle what would you recomend? I would want it to be very accurate but not to much money, it would be used for target and SHTF situations. im thinking a bolt action style rifle but what cal. would be best with lots of power and accuracy. does remington,winchester,browning, or other manufacture have good selections to choose from. or would i be better off with an ar style rifle instead since i want to get one of them anyway one day so to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I went with a remington 700 to fill this role. Not sure if I would have made the same choice had the price not been so low. Although a bolt action seemed like the way to go for me.

Mine is a .300 win mag. Still haven't shot it though.. Should really get on that.
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Reminton Sendero in .300 mag for the bolt action.

AR-10 for SHTF in .308.

Of course, both must have good optics. The .308 penetrates cover much better than the .223 which is something you need when times get harsh.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Reminton Sendero in .300 mag for the bolt action.

AR-10 for SHTF in .308.

Of course, both must have good optics. The .308 penetrates cover much better than the .223 which is something you need when times get harsh.
    The sendero is what i got. Although I only have a leopuld rifleman 3-9 on it. Cannot decide on a more appropriate scope for it. Have the feeling I will dropping a good amount money to get a proper scope for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    if i were to get a sniper type rifle what would you recomend? I would want it to be very accurate but not to much money, it would be used for target and SHTF situations. im thinking a bolt action style rifle but what cal. would be best with lots of power and accuracy. does remington,winchester,browning, or other manufacture have good selections to choose from. or would i be better off with an ar style rifle instead since i want to get one of them anyway one day so to kill 2 birds with one stone.
    A bolt gun is a good place to start but I don't think a sniper rifle would be very practical in a SHTF situation. In all we do there is compromise and a rifle is no different. The most accurate rifles are large and heavy. This obviously isn't good in a SHTF situation where you may need to carry that rifle a long time.

What I suggest is a compromise between the two. A bolt action rifle with a slimmer, more lightweight sporting profile. Remington makes a fine, well respected product. .308 (7.62X51 Nato) is the standard military sniper round for engagements out to 800+ yards.

There are plenty of respectable bolt gun makers out there and just about any full power rifle cartridge will do out past where you are able to hit. Some examples:

Ruger American Rifle, .308 Winchester NEW 308 7.62 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Savage 11 Trophy Hunter, .308 Win New 308 7.62 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

THOMPSON CENTER PREDATOR W/ SCOPE 308 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Remington 700 308 20" LTR Fluted & Threaded : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
    DefConGun likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I wouldn't rule out the .30-06 either although the .308 seems to be a pretty popular round for that job. But for the price and availability of ammo, I would say one of these. Longer ranges than say 600 or 700 yards or so, I'd go with a .338 Win Mag. in a Rem 700. Depends on what you want to do or pay I guess. HotGuns AR-10 in .308 idea with good optics sounds pretty good for your kill 2 birds with one stone thing.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Well, I would say caliber is important here. .308win has been my go to cartridge for many years for good reasons. USMC taught me to be effective with it, and ballistics can be rather easily calculated and remembered. M40A1 was a Remington build for the Corps back in my day. Now we see things like the 300 Win Mag in sub .50cal rifles. Engagement distances have increased over the years. Kind of adapts to the field of battle. We kind of went from the trees, grass, and brush into the open desert scenarios. I still personally think that the .308win is plenty capable out to 1000yds. How much more would you need here at home?
    Not too much money? You still need to think about glass. Scope will likely cost more than the rifle. There are options...depending on what you're bottom dollar is to spend. You could get a reasonably priced rifle, and a reasonable prices scope...but then what?
    I like my Savage 110FP. Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock, trigger work and action bedding done by Aurora Tactical. Older Springfield Armory Gen III scope. I did the best I could to get the same feel for the rifle that I had courtesy of taxpayers. I simply have to have a bolt action. I reload for it since I'm the one paying now. Back in the day, the 168gr was the limit. Now there are plenty of 175gr loads and bullets available. I seldom get to shoot over 300yds these days. I also think that most of the currently available offerings, no matter what their claims, have succumbed to the market...that market being cheaply made and less expensive to the buyer. Not many serious domestic snipers here as there are deer hunters. It's a different world. Sniper is a term of it's own no matter how it's over-used by the American public whom have no idea what that should be. I can't think of many that would want to carry a 16-18lb rifle for 1-3 miles to simply take an elk unless they paid for it up front. Even then....some outfits guarantee a kill for the right price. You can do that with any rifle available these days as long as you get close enough or pay enough. This is why most of the strong points that America has these days are all overseas.
    What you're looking for (in your price range) might not be found these days if at all. Factory ammo, rifle out of the box, and $500 scope might do very well at 100yds...maybe 200yds. What are you looking for out of a "sniper rifle" anyway? "Sniper type rifle"? Not sure how to define that myself.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Mosin-Nagant with a scope.

Dirt cheap rifle, cheap bulk ammo, really able to 'reach out and touch somebody'. Just add the cost of a good scope, and having a 'smith install it. And you're looking at maybe $1500 for everything? If you go really crazy with the scope.

Maybe not the best, but it is bolt action, inexpensive, and a lot of fun to shoot. (Shot a friend's last summer, and been trying to convince my wife that I REALLY NEED one. But she doesn't believe me. )
    l1a1 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

You can spend a fortune on good optics too. A little know new one out there is Pentax, know for fine camera optics for years. Thier best is the Lightseeker series, and great scopes for the money. I just bought two of thier scopes off of eBay at a considerable savings, I would suggest you put them on your reaserch list.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    You're throwing out some conflicting requirements there. "Very accurate but not too much money" and "sniper type rifle" for starters! Do you want to splatter mosquitoes on the target at 50 yards, or take out a moving, man-sized threat at 600 yards? I've got a Ruger 10/22 that will handle the former, and I've got maybe $400 in the gun. On the other hand, my best friend and shooting buddy has a $1500 Remington 700 with the asymmetrical rifling and a $2000 Nightforce scope, and he invested about 4 grand in training at Storm Mountain so he could actually hit stuff out to 600 yards and beyond.

My suggestion is to narrow down what you're really looking for; consider realistic scenarios; then superimpose what you're willing to invest in terms of the hardware, the ammo and the training. Here's a first cut: for a true "SHTF" weapon, you can just about rule out anything other than a semi-auto.

Give it some thought, and post back.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If you are thinking sniper type rifle equals "ballistic advange" (read 600-800 yrds)I'd go with a 300 win mag...or 30-06..7mm mag in a heavy or medium barrel with strong furniture, but how about a SHTF "sniper" rifle like a milsurp mauser 8mm 190-200 grn loads..surplus still avialable, and modern hunting quality loads to.... $.02

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I agree with the Remington 700. I own a few of these BDL in .3006, CDL in 300 winmag and 7mm ultra mag. Love them. The next one I get will be a Sendero 700 in .308
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I stand corrected. For not much money you can get a nice variety of do nicely. You might wish to forget about the "best" in these cases, and if it is on a budget....forget about any "sniper TYPE rifles all together. How many times can you associate 30-06 with sniper?

Something in 300 win mag

I bought a Rem SPS Varmint in .308 with SS scope. It's a nice setup
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links