I can't decide. Help!

I can't decide. Help!

This is a discussion on I can't decide. Help! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm about to buy an upper half for an AR lower I have. PSA has two uppers that I'm torn between, one carbine length, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I can't decide. Help!

I can't decide. Help!

I'm about to buy an upper half for an AR lower I have. PSA has two uppers that I'm torn between, one carbine length, the other mid length. The carbine has the FN Hammer forged "machine gun steel" barrel while the middy has a regular FN barrel. Is one going to be better than the other?

This is going to be a range/zombie rifle, and maybe an occasional class.
    Last edited by tubadude; July 5th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

get two lawn chairs and a case of beer instead...

What's your intention with it? What do you have already? Diversity is good.

Preference I guess. .223/5.56? Twist rates? Not sure on the abbreviations there, but figure Chrome Hammer Forged=CHF. The one I would go for personally.

VIP Member
    Put up some links so we can go look at both uppers. Link us directly to both of them.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy
    Put up some links so we can go look at both uppers. Link us directly to both of them.
    That would probably help. I just tapped out the OP on my iPhone before work and hoped that someone would know what I'm talking about.

PSA 16" Mid-length CL MP Premium Upper - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 Upper - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

Bump for gun shopping.

VIP Member
    Generally the mid length guns run at lower PSI so they are considered better over the long haul than a carbine length. I'd go that route.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I run a spikes mid length and love it. Don't know if there's a huge difference but Timmy seems to! ^^^^^ I would listen

Sent from my DROID RAZR

The Carbine , is a war time tested and choice of most snipers , I would stick with what is already tried & true .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead68 View Post
    The Carbine , is a war time tested and choice of most snipers , I would stick with what is already tried & true .
    Yes absolutely. I see a lot of snipers running M4s.......(sarcasm off). DM guns are at a minimum mid length. Most are rifle length.

SPR Mk 12 Upper Receiver Half Groups

20" SAM-R USMC Upper Half

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I run a spikes mid length and love it. Don't know if there's a huge difference but Timmy seems to! ^^^^^ I would listen
    Nope. I'm just good at remembering what the experts (like Jon) post. I know that the CHF barrel is better but I can't remember if it will last longer or shoot better. I just don't know. I do know that the mid length guns are easier on the BCG and break less often over the long run.

I would get a Noveske & that would settle any debate !

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Yes absolutely. I see a lot of snipers running M4s.......(sarcasm off). DM guns are at a minimum mid length. Most are rifle length.

SPR Mk 12 Upper Receiver Half Groups

20" SAM-R USMC Upper Half

Nope. I'm just good at remembering what the experts (like Jon) post. I know that the CHF barrel is better but I can't remember if it will last longer or shoot better. I just don't know. I do know that the mid length guns are easier on the BCG and break less often over the long run.
    I'm just an Internet dirtbag, y'all will figure it it eventually!

There's little practical difference between CHF and button rifled. Look at it this way, Colt barrels are not cold hammer forged and they seem to work well for a long time. The difference, if noticeable, will be in life expectancy and at what point it starts to open up. Most will never notice this, even those of us that rebarrel regularly do to them being shot out.

The Midlength operates at slightly lower pressure and should, all else being equal, allow the bolt a little longer service life, firing schedule and ammo dependent. Now, my primary trainng rifle is a 14.5" Midlength. I can shoot it back to back with a 14.5" Colt and not notice much difference in recoil. It's there, but the difference is small.

I'd base my decision more on rail length if I had a front sight block, or availability if they both have low pro gas blocks. If you notice, companies like Noveske and Centurion no longer offer 14.5" or 16" carbine has systems unless specified.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'm just an Internet dirtbag,

Mid-length for me....... I 'm much more accurate with it and don't like the shorter length.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links