Best Tactical Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Best Tactical Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get a tactical shotgun for HD and fun at the range, but I know very little when it comes to brand quality. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Best Tactical Shotgun?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Best Tactical Shotgun?

I want to get a tactical shotgun for HD and fun at the range, but I know very little when it comes to brand quality. I assume certain brands like Beretta , FN, Benelli must be of high quality but the are costly and have low capacity. What about the domesic brands like Remington, Mossberg, etc? I would like it with a pistol grip, etc. the Mossberg 930 is a good example. What's the best tactical shotgun for the price? best value and quality? Also, is semi-auto preferable or worth it?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Semi- auto is up to you. Personally, I would have to say Mossberg 500, in .410, 18.5"bbl. Load it with some 00 buck, or heavy bird (if you're in an apartment/worried about over penetration- even if you have neighbors across the street), and be happy. You should be able to pick one up for less than $350, and ammo is fairly inexpensive.

Also, it's something really easy to handle recoil, not likely to blind/deafen you if you have to use it in a small room/hallway. Also, it's easy to teach the wife/girlfriend how to shoot, AND it would make a good 'starter' gun for the kids due to it's ease of use.

...perfect all around...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

IMO....the best is the one you don't have. Semi auto? Save that for the movies....get a pump and use it well.
    scottync and CanuckQue like this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I went for the Mossberg 500 Home Defense in 12 ga. It comes with a pistol grip and stock so you can change it out yourself. It has an 18-1/2" barrel and a shielded barrel. It takes 3" shells and goes for under $300 bucks in parkerized finish.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Personally I never liked a pump action. Just one more thing to think about and it takes you off target every time you pump it. I prefer point and shoot and the reliability of something like a Mossberg 930 is excellent. (I prefer it without the pistol grip) and the safety is right where it should be. The recoil is less also with the semi-auto making it much easier to keep on target.
    BobR1 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

remington 870 is the way to go. you can find good used ones and build it to your likeing.
    SIXTO and CIBMike like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

i can rack my 590sp without taking it off target...pumps are very reliable n thats what i need a shotgun for
    AWDeanSr likes this.

Visit the best tactical schools in the country & you'll find the vast majority of students & instructors still shooting pumps. Among the pumps, predominately the Mossy 500 series & the Remington 870. Also note most of 'em DON'T have pistol grips. You can go ANY way you'd like, but I put substantial weight in the equipment used by guys who...do this for a living.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    I like the 500 better than the 870 (I have both) but it is entirely personal and due almost solely to the placement of the safety
    mprp, Yankeejib, DingBat and 1 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Mossberg 930 SPX. Magnificent gun.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I have a Benelli m4 and would probably choose an 870 for home defense if I didn't prefer ARs.
    Jaeger likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    Plain old Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are the standards. Nothing tactical about them. They're just simple pump shotguns. I added a light, Magpul AFG and side saddle on mine. Or you can leave it as is....Simple works.

500's and 870's are very affordable and very good, reliable, quality shotguns.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have the Remington 870. As a matter of fact, I have 3. Here is the one I use for home defense.

I have shot the mossberg 500. Nice gun also, I just prefer the 870's
    I paid $329.00 for it new.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Administrator
    I really like my older bare-bones basic, no frills Ithaca Model 37 w/ the Deerslayer RIOT/Police barrel but, these days I'd probably opt for a Mossberg if I had to buy one tomorrow.
    AzQkr likes this.

If you want a pistol grip get a Remington; Mossberg controls are designed for a standard stock and are more difficult to reach with a pistol grip stock. A pump is fine if you are on a budget, you work the pump during recoil, so it doesn't really slow you down (plus pumps are less finicky about ammo). If you are on a budget take into account any accessories you plan on getting; such as a weapon mounted light (a necessity for a HD gun, IMHO).
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links