FNAR Follow-up

FNAR Follow-up

This is a discussion on FNAR Follow-up within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had my FNAR for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it. I've only got 80 rounds through it so far, and haven't had ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xader

Thread: FNAR Follow-up

FNAR Follow-up

I've had my FNAR for a few weeks now, and I'm loving it. I've only got 80 rounds through it so far, and haven't had a chance to do any serious long-range evaluation, but my first impressions are all good. I bit the bullet and ordered 500 rounds of PMC to play with.

I know I promised pictures, but the ones I took didn't come out worth squat, and I haven't had a chance to do another photo session. My bad!

Anybody else out there got an FNAR? I'd be curious to compare notes.

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    C'mon Jim! Details man, details! Give us the full story.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Better Late Than Never, I Guess...

OK, I finally got some (better) pics of the FNAR. Still not great, but better:

FNAR 011.jpgFNAR 005.jpg

Hope this worked OK.

I have 80 rounds through the FNAR so far. First 40 were at an indoor range, so I was limited to 25 yards. I was able to fine tune the windage adjustment (boresighting at the shop wasn't so hot), but obviously I couldn't do much with elevation, or assess accuracy very well.

My second two boxes were plinking out at our farm. Still no serious accuracy evaluation, but when you hit a tree stump or a scrap of wood on the ground, the .308 is sure a heckuva lot more destructive than the ol' .223's!

I just may have to take the FNAR on my next pig hunt. Love the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm, although I prefer the 50mm for low-light hunting conditions (which account for a LOT of pig-hunting shots).

Love this rifle! Can't think of a gun I'd rather have if I have to hold off a gang of zombies (the big, tough zombies that a 5.56 might not handle).

I really think this is the ultimate 'hybrid' between a hunting rifle and SHTF gun. Still interested in anyone else's experiences with the FNAR!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member
    I honestly can't decide if I love or hate the looks of the FNAR.

I know it's supposed to be the newest incarnation of the BAR, but it looks like somebody franken-gunned a Remmy 700 barrel and forearm onto a shotgun stock and action , and just threw a box mag on there for the heck of it.

Y'know on second thought, I've decided I hate the looks. But I'd bet all my brass that I'd probably love to use the dang ugly thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    ...I've decided I hate the looks. But I'd bet all my brass that I'd probably love to use the dang ugly thing...
    I'd bet that you'd win that bet! I'd suggest you get your hands on one and find out.

To each his own! Personally, I love the looks. A nice mix of modern & 'traditional' rifle styles.

From most of the range reports I've seen, it'll out-shoot most bolt-actions accuracy-wise, and let's face it - being able to squeeze off a big ol' handful of .308's is FUN (if a little expensive ). I'd buy another one for a spare if I could swing it.

Regards,
    Jim

I recently picked one up I'm using the Nikcon prostaff 3-9x52 scope on it (only scoped rifle ive ever owned), recoil was alot less than than a savage 308 bolt action I shot but a decent amount more than the 700 tactical I shot. The gun is accurate and very loud quite a bit louder than the 700 and kicks up a lot of dirt compared to it as well. I think I'm going to try the thicker recoil pad, add a bi pod, and probaly a clamp on muzzle breaker as to not void the warranty.

Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

I'd have to pass on it as well. If .308 brass leavins at the rage were a bit more available, I might think about it in an AR10 config. Even reloading would be a long while in cost offset.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsored Links