New to ARs, will this work, coments welcome

This is a discussion on New to ARs, will this work, coments welcome within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well i'm pretty new to the ar15s but i have been reading alot about them. I've been wanting to get one for a while but ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By zacii

Thread: New to ARs, will this work, coments welcome

Well i'm pretty new to the ar15s but i have been reading alot about them. I've been wanting to get one for a while but cant find one i like, so i thought i would build one. I've seen countless building videos on youtube and im pretty sure i can do it. I know what i want so i thought i would list everything and see if it would work. I hope some of the more experienced builders will give me their two cents.

Stag Arms stripped lower, Stag Arms LPK, Stag Arms Aftermarket 6 pos Stock Kit, undecided on what buttstock but i know it has to be mil spec

Stag Arms A3 Flattop Upper Assy, Daniel Defense 16" 5.56mm Mid-Length, 1:7, LW Profile w/low profile gas block, mid lenth gas tube from BCM,
    Midwest Industries SS series OR Midwest Industries GEN2 SS series handguard undecieded

I think i need help on the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Whats the difference in a regular bcg and a chrome bcg. Any good recemendations on these.
    Please tell me what you think, also if you see anything that wont work let me know. Thanks for all input.

VIP Member
    Stock: Go with MOE

BCG: go with a BCM full auto BCG
    zacii and DefConGun like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Do you need an FFL to buy the various pieces or only complete guns?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHOWPE View Post
    Do you need an FFL to buy the various pieces or only complete guns?
    only the lower. Don't need one for the parts kit, bolts,uppers..... the lower has the numbers on it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrittB08 View Post
    Well i'm pretty new to the ar15s but i have been reading alot about them. I've been wanting to get one for a while but cant find one i like, so i thought i would build one. I've seen countless building videos on youtube and im pretty sure i can do it. I know what i want so i thought i would list everything and see if it would work. I hope some of the more experienced builders will give me their two cents.

Stag Arms stripped lower, Stag Arms LPK, Stag Arms Aftermarket 6 pos Stock Kit, undecided on what buttstock but i know it has to be mil spec

Stag Arms A3 Flattop Upper Assy, Daniel Defense 16" 5.56mm Mid-Length, 1:7, LW Profile w/low profile gas block, mid lenth gas tube from BCM,
    Midwest Industries SS series OR Midwest Industries GEN2 SS series handguard undecieded

I think i need help on the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Whats the difference in a regular bcg and a chrome bcg. Any good recemendations on these.
    Please tell me what you think, also if you see anything that wont work let me know. Thanks for all input.
    lot of parts going on there. I started out with my first AR from Rock River once I learned it and shot it in a few matches and had an idea of what I really wanted, I decided to build my own. I admire you for building your first one. I think you will change it up a bit once you start to use it. good luck.

Only lower receiver is serialized & requires purchase from FFL. All remaining components are buy-anywhere. To the OP, you seem to really like Stag parts (which is fine), chrome BCG is easier at cleaning-time. But it really doesn't matter what you use & how you configure it. If it's your 1st AR, it's gonna' take a LOT more buy & try cycles before you get exactly what it is that you want. Funny, but (IMHO) the more you learn about the AR, the simpler AR you want to own!
    scout706 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

cj
    For a first time, I'd suggest getting a stripped lower and assembling that, and buying a quality completed upper. It seems to me you've got a better chance of ending up with something nice, and a benchmark to compare against if you decided to assemble your own uppers in the future. The upper seems to need a lot more specialized equipment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Funny, but (IMHO) the more you learn about the AR, the simpler AR you want to own!
    another great quote. I know that but it just got me thinking about my ARs. that is funny

Check out BCM or PSA for a complete upper. They have almost every configuration imaginable, and I think it would be cheaper than buying everything separate and the necessary tools. I bought a stockless PSA lower receiver and put an MOE stock on it and completed it with a PSA upper with the FN barrel. It's pretty nice. My next move is to add a MIAD grip, and then a DD rail much further down the road.

Not being an AR expert and curious myself, I'm gonna shut up here and wait for jon. He's a comin', I know it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sounds like you got it about figured out,go with a chromed or nitride coated BCG,little more expensive but worth it,I run a 1st gen SOPMOD stock from LMT,went with me on 3 TOD's,just my pick though,try several different ones if you can,this is as important (as in the way your weapon is positioned on your cheek,and comfort to) as the grip on a pistol to me.

P.S. You might want to P.M. jonconsiglio and ask for his opinion,he is ubber good on these.

sgb
    16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light Profile Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15 $629.95

Just add a lower receiver, rear sight, a little sweat equity and presto.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Rather than all this, why don't you just get a BCM upper, with a BCM BCG and Gunfighter charging handle?
    DefConGun likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

You know what? We who know at least a little something about building & shooting AR rifles have forgotten to ask one VERY important question before answering Jerritt's post! And I, for one, am just a bit embarrassed about my shortsightedness.

Jerritt, what do plan to DO with this AR? As the SUV of rifles you can set-up an AR to accomplish just about any task from plinker to scout tactical to long-range varmint to home defense to three-gun & military high-power competition. What's your intended use and performance expectations? The wise, old voice of experience will tell you that trying to build one AR to do EVERYthing usually means it won't do any single task...optimally well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links