Defensive Carry banner

New to ARs, will this work, coments welcome

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
Well i'm pretty new to the ar15s but i have been reading alot about them. I've been wanting to get one for a while but cant find one i like, so i thought i would build one. I've seen countless building videos on youtube and im pretty sure i can do it. I know what i want so i thought i would list everything and see if it would work. I hope some of the more experienced builders will give me their two cents.

Stag Arms stripped lower, Stag Arms LPK, Stag Arms Aftermarket 6 pos Stock Kit, undecided on what buttstock but i know it has to be mil spec

Stag Arms A3 Flattop Upper Assy, Daniel Defense 16" 5.56mm Mid-Length, 1:7, LW Profile w/low profile gas block, mid lenth gas tube from BCM,
Midwest Industries SS series OR Midwest Industries GEN2 SS series handguard undecieded

I think i need help on the bolt carrier group and charging handle. Whats the difference in a regular bcg and a chrome bcg. Any good recemendations on these.
Please tell me what you think, also if you see anything that wont work let me know. Thanks for all input.

See less See more
#5 ·
lot of parts going on there. I started out with my first AR from Rock River once I learned it and shot it in a few matches and had an idea of what I really wanted, I decided to build my own. I admire you for building your first one. I think you will change it up a bit once you start to use it. good luck.

#6 ·
Only lower receiver is serialized & requires purchase from FFL. All remaining components are buy-anywhere. To the OP, you seem to really like Stag parts (which is fine), chrome BCG is easier at cleaning-time. But it really doesn't matter what you use & how you configure it. If it's your 1st AR, it's gonna' take a LOT more buy & try cycles before you get exactly what it is that you want. Funny, but (IMHO) the more you learn about the AR, the simpler AR you want to own!

Reactions: scout706
#7 ·
For a first time, I'd suggest getting a stripped lower and assembling that, and buying a quality completed upper. It seems to me you've got a better chance of ending up with something nice, and a benchmark to compare against if you decided to assemble your own uppers in the future. The upper seems to need a lot more specialized equipment.

#9 ·
Check out BCM or PSA for a complete upper. They have almost every configuration imaginable, and I think it would be cheaper than buying everything separate and the necessary tools. I bought a stockless PSA lower receiver and put an MOE stock on it and completed it with a PSA upper with the FN barrel. It's pretty nice. My next move is to add a MIAD grip, and then a DD rail much further down the road.

#10 ·
Not being an AR expert and curious myself, I'm gonna shut up here and wait for jon. He's a comin', I know it. :haus7:

#11 ·
Sounds like you got it about figured out,go with a chromed or nitride coated BCG,little more expensive but worth it,I run a 1st gen SOPMOD stock from LMT,went with me on 3 TOD's,just my pick though,try several different ones if you can,this is as important (as in the way your weapon is positioned on your cheek,and comfort to) as the grip on a pistol to me.

P.S. You might want to P.M. jonconsiglio and ask for his opinion,he is ubber good on these.

#13 ·
Reactions: DefConGun
#14 ·
You know what? We who know at least a little something about building & shooting AR rifles have forgotten to ask one VERY important question before answering Jerritt's post! And I, for one, am just a bit embarrassed about my shortsightedness.

Jerritt, what do plan to DO with this AR? As the SUV of rifles you can set-up an AR to accomplish just about any task from plinker to scout tactical to long-range varmint to home defense to three-gun & military high-power competition. What's your intended use and performance expectations? The wise, old voice of experience will tell you that trying to build one AR to do EVERYthing usually means it won't do any single task...optimally well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.