Skinner peep sight on a Marlin 336

This is a discussion on Skinner peep sight on a Marlin 336 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just did some trading and ended picking up a Marlin 336, 30-30 in the process. It is in very good shape, just a bit ...

I just did some trading and ended picking up a Marlin 336, 30-30 in the process. It is in very good shape, just a bit neglected....nothing a good cleaning and application of WeaponShield couldn't rectify. It has the original metal sights. I am contemplating putting a Skinner peep sight on the rear end and keep the original hooded front sight. I would like some advice on this intending combo.
    Thank you.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Before you make the leap, check out the Williams and Lyman receiver sights... those are classics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks gasmitty, I will check them out!
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a skinner on mine and love it. However, since the skinner goes on the receiver and not the barrel, be prepared to change out the front sight as well. I had to go with a taller front sight when I put the rear skinner sight on. Contact the guys over at skinner, they are very helpful and have GREAT customer service, or you can go to:
    Marlin Firearms Forum and search for skinner sights.
    Lot's of info on Skinners on that web site.

VIP Member
    I thought about doing that to mine, but decided to stay with the stock sights in the end. I do like peeps and have had them on many rifles over the years. But the stock 336 sights work really well for my older eyes so I left them alone.

Have you shot it yet to try out the stock sights?

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I thought about doing that to mine, but decided to stay with the stock sights in the end. I do like peeps and have had them on many rifles over the years. But the stock 336 sights work really well for my older eyes so I left them alone.
    I second the notion. I picked up a basic 336W for a bargain at a gun show, and it's a fun gun! With the stock open irons I could hit the 200 yard gong at my range about 3 shots out of 4, offhand, with these senior citizen eyes. I won't scope the gun - it's too useful as-is for "urban assault rifle" purposes - but I keep toying with the idea of receiver sights.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the Lyman on my 1894. It has performed well over the years, I appreciate the ability to remove it and put it back without losing zero. I have a Burris 4X that is sometimes a primary, but it's nice to have the peep and rear leaf as a backup.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have the 336SS in 30-30 and kept the rear site, but put a fiber optic on the front...helps these old eyes.
    I did not want to put a scope on my 'urban assault rifle' either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been kicking myself ever since trading off a 336 in that persuasion.
    Should I ever be fortunate enough to get another, I'll go a Williams peep rear.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have the 336SS in 30-30 and kept the rear site, but put a fiber optic on the front...helps these old eyes.
    I did not want to put a scope on my 'urban assault rifle' either.
    Fiber optics are nice too. Something I found out about the front sight blade on the 336 - it is made of brass. I took a file to the rear post. Just a couple of light passes and I have a nice shining brass bead to sight with. Under all that black is a brass sight on the front sight post. Sweet.

The rear sight on the 336 is a buckhorn, yes? I hate those. They block out too much space. Williams fire sights or a receiver peep would be my preference.

VIP Member
    Semi buckhorn on the rear of the Marlin. Not nearly a full buckhorn.

I've got the XS rail with a rear ghost ring and white front post. I have a 2-7 x32 Nikon Prostaff mounted on the rail. They both work very well.

I put Lyman peeps on both of my Marlins. On the .35 I changed the front sight to a brass dot. Worked well in the thick brush in VA. Put same rear sight on the.444. Did not change the front sight.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Links