M1 Garand, M1A style sights for AR15

This is a discussion on M1 Garand, M1A style sights for AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking for sights for an ar build and im not seeing any with elevation adjustments. Is their a reason none have that option. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: M1 Garand, M1A style sights for AR15

M1 Garand, M1A style sights for AR15

I've been looking for sights for an ar build and im not seeing any with elevation adjustments. Is their a reason none have that option. I really like the M1 Garand and M1A style sights do they make anything similar to that for AR 15s. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the Forum, JerrittB08.

I've never seen anything like what you describe wanting. I love the M1 and the M1A and am familiar with thier sights. It will be interesting to see if anyone responds with a reference to such sights for the AR 15.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well, that was quick JD.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well, that was quick JD.
    I memorized the Brownells catalog on my spare time.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrittB08 View Post
    I've been looking for sights for an ar build and im not seeing any with elevation adjustments. Is their a reason none have that option. I really like the M1 Garand and M1A style sights do they make anything similar to that for AR 15s. Any help is much appreciated.
    Or there's the carry handle option.

The reason you're not seeing many with the elevation adj. is that if you're looking at the fold down sights, the joint takes up the space where the elevation mechanism would go and adding that in there would make the rear sight too tall.

What's the plan / purpose of the build?

There are a number of options for AR rear sights that are elevation adjustable, including the one JD referenced able, as well as the traditional carrying handle style.

Bear in mind that with the traditional AR sighting system, the front sight post is elevation adjustable to make major changes, and then once you get it set at the right spot, you leave it stationary, and then make fine adjustments, or actual elevation style adjustments on the rear sight.

If you have no intentions of firing beyond 300 yards, you aren't really going to need an elevation adjustable sight. If you want to shoot further, or shoot in competitions, then it is a good idea.

Just a random piece of info as well, make sure you are using the smaller of the two apertures on whatever sight you get for normal shooting.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for all the replys so quick. I have another thread of what im going to use for the build. I live in a rural area and was wanting a home defense rifle. My house sits about 250 yards off the road and I have a clear view of our gate, but their are spots were it can get pretty wide open so i was thinking of the open spaces too.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrittB08 View Post
    Thanks for all the replys so quick. I have another thread of what im going to use for the build. I live in a rural area and was wanting a home defense rifle. My house sits about 250 yards off the road and I have a clear view of our gate, but their are spots were it can get pretty wide open so i was thinking of the open spaces too.
    The other thing to consider, is are you actually going to have time to estimate the range, and then adjust your sights to the range. Honestly, if you don't intend to use it for competition, then the elevation isn't going to be too big of a deal for HD use. You can BZO an AR at 36 yards, and then it will be spot on at 36 and 300 yards, due to the trajectory of the bullet in flight.

I'm not going to touch on the legal issues of such a long "defensive" shot, although it is something you should consider, depending on how the defense laws in your state are. However, out past 2-300 yards, an optic with a small amount of magnification, like 3-4x, is a great asset, and will multiply your abilities. There is a reason that combat arms units have gone to various optics, be it red dot (like an Aimpoint), holographic (EOtech) either of which can be set up with a flip to the side 3x magnifier, or a set 4x optic, like the Trijicon ACOG. My humble opinion as a former Marine infantryman, is that the general issue to the masses of optics on service rifles is one of the biggest leaps in capabilities for an individual's small arms since WW2.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ya i know the legal issues, that was more of wrol thinking. I just want something that i can use for inside home defense but can also shoot at a distance.

Links