What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

This is a discussion on What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?' within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I don't have a problem with the word tactical. I find words like "dynamic" and "aggressive" much more annoying, as they tend to be applied in ways that simply don't make sense.

In his book Green Eyes and Black Rifles, Kyle Lamb refers to the AR as a tactical carbine. He defines tactical, as "skill of using available means to reach an end. The AR is a means to an end."
    If certain gear enhances your skill and means of deploying tactics, than I see nothing wrong with labeling it "tactical".
    The "tactical" shotgun does not make anyone a better shot, does it?
    Yes and no. Take two people of equal skill level. Give one a "plain jane" pump shotgun. Give the other a tactical shotgun with a red dot sight, white light system, side saddle, etc. Have them both run a course in low light with shoot/no shoot targets. Which one would perform better?
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Couple of months ago, I attended a continuing education class in a large hotel in Billings. Before the class, I was out in a central area (there were several conferences/classes going on in the hotel) and I noticed an extremely high percentage of guys with shorter hair and wearing 5.11 style pants--and conscipuous bulges under shirts---then one of them turned and I saw the badge and Glock---it was a LEO class on Verbal Judo. They kind of stood out.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

chasbo00, lmao that's funny!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Just some information for the general forum public.
    The Navy Seals never wore wrist watches with......NAVY SEALS printed on the watch face.

and....any decent knife suitable for survival purposes will not have SURVIVAL KNIFE printed on the blade.

One exception though might be the $49.00 Schrade Extreme Survival....which is actually a pretty good knife that destructive tested much better than the far more expensive REEVE knife.

Usually most TACTICAL pants means that they have a lot of pockets. And they have a place to house a knife and belt loops better positioned for firearm carry and reinforced seam stitching and extra material in the location of the knees....so I don't care WHAT they call them I NEED pants with lots of pockets.

I don't care a whit if they call them TACTICAL or not as long as they are all Cotton and good quality.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I really don't care what any company calls anything. EXAMPLE - This is the MAXPEDITION TACTICAL TOILETRY BAG.

Now...probably they called it TACTICAL because Tactical and Toiletry both begin with the letter "T" ~~~ But if you needed a high quality Toiletry bag for all of your travel bathroom stuff. Shaver, toothbrush, hairbrush, comb, soap, small bottle of shampoo, deodorant etc.

Would you NOT buy it just because it was called TACTICAL?

I have one. I admit it. I bought it even though it was a Tactical Toiletry bag & I'm really quite happy with it.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I like tactical even though I usually wear jeans. I also think tactical.

The "tactical" rifle does not provide superior accuracy or magazine capacity than a plain old rifle of the same basic design, does it?
    Well, actually some of them do. Forget magazine capacity.

The "tactical" shotgun does not make anyone a better shot, does it?
    That depends.....it could possibly. Could make it easier to take the shot.

one supposes that if things really go south on us as a society, some of us will just gather up all of these "tactical" guns and accessories from the folks we plug with our trusty '06 scoped hunting rifles.
    Just who's side are you on anyway? Zombies don't do tactical. I think somebody needs to keep an eye on you. If you're thinking that you and your " '06 scoped hunting rifle" can be tactical as a team, then maybe your '06 is a tactical weapon after all. A tactical weapon in the hands of a dweeb is not much of a weapon.
    The term tactical may be used widely and frivolously in some cases these days or as you've suggested, as a marketing tactic. I prefer to use the word as defined.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tactical equals that big, jacked-up pickup truck that's never been driven down a dirt road, it makes a little one feel bigger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tactical equals that big, jacked-up pickup truck that's never been driven down a dirt road, it makes a little one feel bigger.
    Well put!

I agree, to many individuals that is what it equates to now-a-days, and marketing teams eat it up. I don't have a problem with garments or equipment that are modeled after what our military and LEA use - they use it for a reason - but it does get comical when everything has tacticool sounding names.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Tactical clothing usually has more pockets for gear. ie, Mags, Flashlight, Knife. They will consist of material more Military/LE friendly that is rip and fad resistant, lighter, and more breathable.
    Tactical flashlights have a push button at the end. They are lighter and more durable. More powerful. More option like strobe or red light covers. Don't reflect light. Attachments for firearms.
    Tactical rifles have red dot sights or lasers. Lighter and collapsible butt stock. Better barrel. Lighter or shorter. Picatinny rail.

It's really not hard to understand..

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmnbmn View Post
    Tactical clothing usually has more pockets for gear. ie, Mags, Flashlight, Knife. They will consist of material more Military/LE friendly that is rip and fad resistant, lighter, and more breathable.
    Tactical flashlights have a push button at the end. They are lighter and more durable. More powerful. More option like strobe or red light covers. Don't reflect light. Attachments for firearms.
    Tactical rifles have red dot sights or lasers. Lighter and collapsible butt stock. Better barrel. Lighter or shorter. Picatinny rail.

It's really not hard to understand..
    Ah. Well then. There you have it, defining characteristics of 'tactical' items. This should be sticky'ed for future reference
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by bmnbmn View Post
    Freudian typo?
    bmcgilvray and Dadsnugun like this.

"Tactical"- a term used by Mall-Ninjas,Wanna-be's and perpetrators,you know the one who talk about doing it,but,never have!

It reminds me of words like "premium" and "deluxe". I used to think those words had meaning, but then I turned 6.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Ah. Well then. There you have it, defining characteristics of 'tactical' items. This should be sticky'ed for future reference
    Sarcasm noted

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links