What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

This is a discussion on What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?' within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There IS a dictionary definition of "tactical": "a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

There IS a dictionary definition of "tactical":

"a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront." (Merriam-Webster)

A while back, I posted a query about a "tactical .308" on another board, and some anal-retentive types immediately took issue with my use of the term, "tactical". I was referring to the dictionary definition, i.e. a battle rifle vs. a hunting rifle. I intended it to refer to a reasonably short & light, magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle. Doesn't have to be black, or have all kinds of accessory rails hanging off of it, or anything like that.

Most any normal person would have interpreted it the way I meant it, but some Internet Commandos have to read all kinds of BS into just about anything. Guess they get bored down there in Mom's basement.

I'm as amused as the next guy by the use of "Tactical" by the marketers and the Mall Ninjas to describe their clothing, accessories, credit-card holders, and maybe waffles, but that shouldn't preclude calling a gun (or anything else) "tactical", when it legitimately describes what you're talking about. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have no idea.

I started the other thread about which tactical shotgun to choose.... The one I am interested in so far though does not have "tactical" as part of the name. It is "Turkey" instead, but looks more tactical than the tacticals.

535 ATS

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/45228.jpg
    rdpG19 likes this.

with shotguns i just keep thinking its a matter of looking more techy and with a shorter barrel but in 99% of shotgun uses at home will u REALLY need that shorter barrel coming around a corner to get your shot off quicker? that split second really gonna make a difference when they have a hand gun and u STILL have to wrap your 18.5" barrel around a corner and be just as effective? (as i just made an argument for a hand gun for home defense instead)......

like getting a MOSSBERG instead of a BENELLI - save alot of money, be just as effective and avoid hype marketing that will only pay off in 1/1000th of scenarios... your SHUCK SHUCK pump is more reliable than a semi auto shotgun anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Why on earth does anyone get jazzed about the term "tactical?"

The "tactical" shotgun does not make anyone a better shot, does it?
    The "tactical" rifle does not provide superior accuracy or magazine capacity than a plain old rifle of the same basic design, does it?
    The "tactical" knife is no sharper than a regular knife with a blade of the same steel, eh?

"Tactical" holsters? Cripes, I could probably get $15-$20 more for any of my holster models if I called them "tactical" but it wouldn't really make them any better than the ones that don't have the sexy, mall-ninja-approved buzzword label.

And "tactical" clothing? Gotta be sharp-looking when you get creamed by some smarter guy in blue jeans..

As I note in another thread, I've got a Mossberg 500 pump for home defense and whatever. Then there is the .45 and one supposes that if things really go south on us as a society, some of us will just gather up all of these "tactical" guns and accessories from the folks we plug with our trusty '06 scoped hunting rifles.
    From the Bureau of Justice Statistics:
    1976-2005: 29,437 whites killed by blacks minus 11,262 blacks killed by whites equals 18,175 white deficit

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/hom.../ovracetab.cfm

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Just the latest buzzword

Don't know if they still do or not but 5.11 used to sell "Tactical socks" A lot of people buy in to the sales hype just like any other product I suppose.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "Chuck Norris" will be the next "Tactical".

As in... "Did you see that Bass Pro Shops is selling the new S&W Shield with a Chuck Norris trigger?" or "Dude, I just got this awesome folding Chuck Norris knife. I was told it can patrol my house while I'm asleep"
    Arborigine likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

tactical is a verb not a noun . But it sells well when used as a Noun.
    A baseball bat is or is not tactical depending on how and what I am hitting with it.
    Now if I put the word Extreme in front or Tactical the price goes but 10% add some skulls to it another 10%
    Throw in a due rag hold on price just doubled

"tactical is a verb not a noun."

Actually "tactical" is an adjective; describing or modifying a noun.
    Pistology likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    "Tactical" has degenerated to a style. I have made many race car parts from Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, and Titanium. None of them belong in a knife handle or brief case unless it is for appearances. "Turbo" was a shortened version of the phrase "Turbo-super-charged". A "Turbo" is a mechanical device that compresses air for an engine, and the word has no place being applied to an electronic device.
    It is all hyperbole. A salesman who improperly applies terms like those, loses all credibility with me. Unfortunately the masses love B.S.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I don't know, I have some Striders and the folders have Titanium and G10 handles. They're extremely light and I've never heard of a single broken handle. Have seen some broken s30v blades, and that alone takes hundreds of pounds of pressure to break. So, the Titanium has to be pretty strong as well as light. Other than that, I do agree about the other stuff.

I also think people on bth ends take the word "tactical" too far. Some use it too liberally and others automatically jump to put it down. Like I said, any company with ver few exceptions that offer a "tactical" model, is almost certainly geared towards civilians. For some of us, we speak about tactics in training and work.

Though I don't think I could even use tactical in a sentence, I have heard it used to describe certain things, just like dynamic. Tactical and dynamic are words that had their place but got ruined by those that aren't experienced in either.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Titanium has about half the weight of steel with more tensile strength. Good for many things but a waste of money for most. Titanium Nitride (TiN) is one of the hardest coatings made and and is used to coat cutting tools and blades, but is too brittle to use without a substrate.

Ok... So that explains why the Strider handles are strong but also why the lock face face wears easily since it can't be heat treated like other metals, right? I do appreciate the weight savings. The Ti and G10 make the somewhat large SMF with in around 5 ounces where all steel would weigh much closer to 10 ounces, give or take.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I can see the anti-2A press picking up on the tactical title and trying to use it as an excuse to ban them since it sounds "military". They are that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I can see the anti-2A press picking up on the tactical title and trying to use it as an excuse to ban them since it sounds "military". They are that stupid.
    been there done that. A shotgun in California cannot have a heat shield, pistol grip, or bayonette lug. Much safer without them, you know.

I think my Ruger Sp101 357 3" barrel, look pertty tactical to me. I'm old school!!!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links