What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

This is a discussion on What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?' within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why on earth does anyone get jazzed about the term "tactical?" The "tactical" shotgun does not make anyone a better shot, does it? The "tactical" ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What's this 'thing' about 'tactical?'

Why on earth does anyone get jazzed about the term "tactical?"

The "tactical" shotgun does not make anyone a better shot, does it?
    The "tactical" rifle does not provide superior accuracy or magazine capacity than a plain old rifle of the same basic design, does it?
    The "tactical" knife is no sharper than a regular knife with a blade of the same steel, eh?

"Tactical" holsters? Cripes, I could probably get $15-$20 more for any of my holster models if I called them "tactical" but it wouldn't really make them any better than the ones that don't have the sexy, mall-ninja-approved buzzword label.

And "tactical" clothing? Gotta be sharp-looking when you get creamed by some smarter guy in blue jeans..

As I note in another thread, I've got a Mossberg 500 pump for home defense and whatever. Then there is the .45 and one supposes that if things really go south on us as a society, some of us will just gather up all of these "tactical" guns and accessories from the folks we plug with our trusty '06 scoped hunting rifles.

Tactical really isn't an item, it's an action or plan of action. So really, an item described as "tactical" would really mean something that is best designed for a particular action. So if I am deer hunting, then my tactics would involve using a scoped rifle. I guess that would mean it's a "tactical deer rifle."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

"Tactical" is a selling adjective intended to entice you to purchase something. It's like "professional grade" or "professional quality" which are also overused.
    Chad Rogers and mano3 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I swear to god I saw some over-priced military 9mm ball ammo at a gun show once that had a sign "Same ammo Navy Seals use",like it was some kind of more lethal deadly accurate ammo,and anybody that doesn't have a clue about ammo would think they just bought some bad ass ammo.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    "Tactical" is a selling adjective intended to entice you to purchase something. It's like "professional grade" or "professional quality" which are also overused.
    In the firearms, training and tactics milieu it is also common to see people jump all over things "Russian" and "Israeli."
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

It's marketing spew, to boost sales.

I've always though of "tactical" as those features of one's skills, abilities, philosophy, people skills, weaponry, clothing, vehicle that directly improves one's ability to deal with a situation's specifics. As in, having a strategy for preparing for crime is important, but without the tactical ability to perform it might well end coming up short.

Myself, I never have understood how those press-on glow stickers or the sideways-held "gangsta" grip helped tactics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Real definition of 'Tactical': of or relating to combat tactics. i.e. "A tactical first strike", or "The planes provided tactical air support for the soldiers on the ground." -Merriam-Webster

Modern definition of the word 'Tactical': Anything that might be even remotely related to firearms, zombies, or the military, and is currently being sold. i.e "Yo man, I love your tactical vest, all that molle webbing really makes you look slim."
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

IMO It's a marketing term. Hunting gear pops up a certain image. Tactical gear has nothing to do with hunting and creates a completely different image in a different category reaching a different customer.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    I'm still looking for a "tactical" carry case for my CCW badge.
    pgrass101, mano3 and Once like this.

VIP Member
    Tactics generally refers to the use of available tools to accomplish a task that furthers a strategy to realize a goal. (recite accompanied by music from the BG's...stayin' alive)

I saw a tactical T-shirt. It had a pen pocket!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I hardly ever see a firearm that's geared towards professionals with the name "Tactical" anywhere near it other than by dealers. Tactical would indicate tactics, or fighting.

If you look at commercial grade weapons, you'll see Tactical all over the place…

I don't own Tactical clothing, though I do have a plate carrier and rough wear clothing. It's not a word thrown around much in professional circles.
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'm still looking for a "tactical" carry case for my CCW badge.
    Amazon.com: Digital Camo Badge Holder: Office Products
    There ya go...
    PEF and pgrass101 like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

The proper nomenclature is tacticool.
    Sig35seven and bmcgilvray like this.

Nothing Tactical here, I do wear "operator grade" discreet pants (as coined by the sellers). It has more to do with comfort, wear and tear (rip stop) and price point (seem to always find them for 17.99-19.99) and khakis/dress pants are required for me at work. These seem to be more comfortable especially as I have to conceal at work, they do a better job at it than my St. Johns Bay and Dockers. Not to mention they have proved to hold up better for me.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    The proper nomenclature is tacticool.
    That's another marketing angle, yes. Both "tactical" and "tacticool" are used and abused, to hype product.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links