Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles? - Page 2

Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles?

This is a discussion on Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR And OD* - Luddite that you are - a detachable box magazine can "top off" a rifle with 30 (or more, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And OD* - Luddite that you are - a detachable box magazine can "top off" a rifle with 30 (or more, maybe) rounds as fast as a lever gun could get one or two rounds in the tube, with fewer, less complex motions. Simpler and faster equates to "easier" in my book, but that's just me.
    I did say "topping off" a levergun, not "reloading" the levergun, there is a difference to me. If a person doesn't have much first hand experience, I guess "topping-off" or completely "reloading" a tube fed levergun maybe complex motions to them. I have a lot of time with the levergun, I don't find pushing a cartridge through a loading gate complex, but that's just me. Now if I would have said, or implied (which I didn't) completely reloading the rifle, yes, a detachable box magazine has it all over a tube fed rifle.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Topping off is the same concept, one way or another. If I have fired a portion of my ammunition, but not all of it, and then bring my ammunition supply back up to full capacity, I am "topping off." If I do that by sliding four individual rounds into a tubular magazine or by replacing a partial magazine with a full one, I am "topping off." So, again, a detachable magazine fed weapon is, generally speaking, faster and simpler to "top off," and once you ARE topped off you (again, generally speaking) have a lot more ammo available.

I say again, I am not bashing the lever/pump whatever. Just pointing out when arguments for or against ANYTHING make no sense.

ETA: I didn't say that loading a round through a loading gate was "particularly" complex, I just said it is more complex than pushing a box mag into a mag well. Bigger hole, easier target. And, of course, you only ever have to do the motion ONCE with a box mag, whereas it could be quite a few times with a tubular mag.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Well, we disagree, which doesn't really surprise you, does it?

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    It kinda does. It's like one person saying "Fire is hot," and the other person saying "I disagree." The fire doesn't care one way or the other, but it knows what it is...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Of course you would write that, it's just you being disagreeable yet again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Of course you would write that, it's just you being disagreeable yet again.
    OK that is pretty funny.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I wouldn't recommend leaving it in there all the time by any means, but sometimes it's nice to be able to the throw the Sub2k or SU-16 along with mags, overnight clothes, toiletry items, and anything else I may need for a weekend trip all in one 20" gym bag. Arizona's laws are clear and simple on firearms loaded and concealed in the car.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I disagree that I am disagreeable. :)

OD*

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You might want to check into whether it is legal to have loaded magazines for your rifle in your trunk.

Personally, I would tend to prefer a lever gun, or a pump shotgun. Both can be loaded very quickly from ammo boxes - no box magazine to load up and then insert into the gun. I also like that tubular mags can be topped off on the fly. And I prefer the thump of a .30-30 or a 12 g to a .223 any day.
    It is legal to have a long gun in your vehicle with a loaded magazine inserted in it in TN as long as you do not have a round in the chamber and you have a valid HCP.

39-17-1307, Unlawful Carrying or Possession of a Weapon.
    (e) It is an exception to the application of this section that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to ß 39-17-1351, is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle, and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, such a person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to ßß 39-11-611 or 39-11-612.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TN_Mike likes this.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I had a Su16c and it was a little picky about ammo. Fun to shoot though.

If it is legal in TN, then that is good info for the OP - I have no info on TN law.

That said, you would need to be careful if you cross state lines.

Personally, if I felt a need to keep a long gun in the vehicle, I would do so in a manner that was legal just about everywhere...just so I didn't need to worry or think about it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    It is legal to have a long gun in your vehicle with a loaded magazine inserted in it in TN as long as you do not have a round in the chamber and you have a valid HCP.
    Yep. I already knew that but did not make it clear in my original post. Sorry about that guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links