Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles?

This is a discussion on Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in something I can carry in my vehicle, that won't take up a ton of room. I drive some distances from home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone have experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles?

I am interested in something I can carry in my vehicle, that won't take up a ton of room.

I drive some distances from home for work. Depending on the site I must travel to each day, I can be anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours from our home. I am interested in having a battle caliber rifle that I can keep with me should the "SHTF" scenario take place.

So, anyone have and experience with the Kel Tec SU-16 line of rifles? Or any other suggestions??
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Mike,

I looked at them about 2 years back for car carry and decided against it, mainly becasue I didn't have an AR to begin with. I am assumeing that you are set with ammo amd mags and this will compliment your AR at home too. I can say I've shot one and that's about it. I do believe that it is well suited to be a trunk gun and will probably get you home safe if TEOTWAWKI happens.

I have looked at getting a carbine in the same caliber as my carry gun (.357) but haven't yet. My current trunk guns are an M1 carbine with para stock or a 12 ga Norinco shotgun. Mainly becasue I have a "small" collection of carbines (so mags, ammo, etc... is not a problem) and you can find 12ga ammo most anywhere if the Zombie Apolcalypse happens while I'm away from home

If I had the money I would get a DSA STG 58 Paracarbine, it would compliment my G1 (FAL), heck I've got to win the lotto sometime right?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I personally own one and am happy with it. Don't be fooled by it's polymer build, it's plenty rugged. I now own two Kel tec guns, the Sub2k and the SU-16c (get the C model; it's shootable while folded) and both have surprised me with their durability. Reliability has been pretty good, out of 700 rounds I had 2 stovepipes, all in the first 200 rounds. The purpose for getting both of my Keltec's was the same as yours, relatively inexpensive truck gun that uses the same mags and ammo as all my other guns.
    TN_Mike and JerryMac like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

You might want to check into whether it is legal to have loaded magazines for your rifle in your trunk.

Personally, I would tend to prefer a lever gun, or a pump shotgun. Both can be loaded very quickly from ammo boxes - no box magazine to load up and then insert into the gun. I also like that tubular mags can be topped off on the fly. And I prefer the thump of a .30-30 or a 12 g to a .223 any day.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

MJK
    Might consider an AK underfolder in 7.62 x 39. Mine came with a canvas case, bayonet and spare mags. It's a great trunk gun and I never leave home without it!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You might want to check into whether it is legal to have loaded magazines for your rifle in your trunk.

Personally, I would tend to prefer a lever gun, or a pump shotgun. Both can be loaded very quickly from ammo boxes - no box magazine to load up and then insert into the gun. I also like that tubular mags can be topped off on the fly. And I prefer the thump of a .30-30 or a 12 g to a .223 any day.
    Here we go again with those slow old detachable box magazines... I can't believe they still exist, considering how inferior they are to tubular mags, stripper clips, falling block single shots, and pointy sticks. I mean, no military or para-military force uses them, for crying out loud! They are the WORST way to reload a rifle since the hand-cranked crossbow!

Seriously. I have 50+ AR mags. If someone can ever show me how they could load 1500 rounds into their lever/pump/whatever gun faster than I could, I would chew and swallow all 1500 rounds. Heck, if someone could show me how to load THIRTY rounds faster into that lever/pump/whatever faster than I can with a detachable box magazine, I'd dance naked in the middle of Times Square with a propeller beanie on my skunion. So far, there's been no trip to Times Square for me....
    TN_Mike and JerryMac like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Might consider an AK underfolder in 7.62 x 39. Mine came with a canvas case, bayonet and spare mags. It's a great trunk gun and I never leave home without it!
    Good thought. I will check into that. I have 3 AK's now and skads of magazines for them. No underfolders yet. Definitely something else to check into. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Here we go again with those slow old detachable box magazines... I can't believe they still exist, considering how inferior they are to tubular mags, stripper clips, falling block single shots, and pointy sticks. I mean, no military or para-military force uses them, for crying out loud! They are the WORST way to reload a rifle since the hand-cranked crossbow!

Seriously. I have 50+ AR mags. If someone can ever show me how they could load 1500 rounds into their lever/pump/whatever gun faster than I could, I would chew and swallow all 1500 rounds. Heck, if someone could show me how to load THIRTY rounds faster into that lever/pump/whatever faster than I can with a detachable box magazine, I'd dance naked in the middle of Times Square with a propeller beanie on my skunion. So far, there's been no trip to Times Square for me....
    That is exactly what I thought when I read that as well. I have several long guns that use tube mags. I can attest to the fact that none are fast to reload nor is it more handy to carry their ammo in boxes than any of my detachable box magazine rifles. The thought that they could be is puzzling to me in the extreme.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Here we go again with those slow old detachable box magazines.
    I think the advantage of a .30-.30 would be that it isn't scary looking. That's good in a place that was hyper liberal/anti gun. Since you live in TN and nobody there would care I'd opt for something better.

IMO the best gun for you would be an SBRed Draco. You already have the mags and ammo. You just need the gun. IIRC you can do the paperwork and assemble the whole thing for around $700.

You could keep the Draco in something that most thieves would ignore. Something like a camel-back or a tennis racket case.

Being a family man means $700 might be more than you are willing to spend but it's something to think about.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

In some areas, it is illegal to have loaded magazines for your rifle in your vehicle. If you carry an unloaded semi auto and unloaded mags, you need to first load the mag, and then insert it into the gun. With a tube mag, you simply load the ammo directly into the gun - one less step. It is also very easy to load a cartridge or shell directly into the chamber of a lever gun or a pump shotgun.

It's all about getting the gun into action quickly for the first shot or two. That's the most critical thing. Of course, if you are going to war, you would want something with a box mag and more capacity. But that is not the scenario we are discussing. For civilian encounters, you want to get the gun into action quickly and fire a few shots. Doubtful you will need more than that - and if you do, you presumably have your handgun as well.

Hope that makes some sense to those of you who may have forgotten some of the advantages of those ancient tube-mag fed weapons.

And yes - having a "hunting" arm in your vehicle instead of an "assault weapon" can make a difference as well.
    CT Lasers

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Hope that makes some sense to those of you who may have forgotten some of the advantages of those ancient tube-mag fed weapons.
    Those ancient tube-mag fed weapons are some of the easiest weapons to keep "topped-off" also. I think a levergun would make a good SHTF weapon, if I had my choice, my FAL or ARs would be first pick, but I certainly wouldn't feel "unarmed" with my levers, but then again, the high-speed low-drag types think I'm a Luddite anyway.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    I must admit, I have never heard of not being able to carry loaded magazines - separate from the weapon - in a car. In what states and under what circumstances it this illegal?

And OD* - Luddite that you are - a detachable box magazine can "top off" a rifle with 30 (or more, maybe) rounds as fast as a lever gun could get one or two rounds in the tube, with fewer, less complex motions. Simpler and faster equates to "easier" in my book, but that's just me.

Look, I'm not at all knocking the lever gun, or pump gun, or whatever you have/fancy - I'm just pointing out the rather obvious fact that detachable box magazines are the faster, simpler, and better by far (in terms of rounds loaded/reloaded per second) than tubular (or similar) mags. I will offer, however, that a "cowboy" gun makes a less threatening picture to the stupid and/or ignorant, but we were talking about fighting our way home in a SHTF scenario - hardly the time where such things are our primary considerations.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    I must admit, I have never heard of not being able to carry loaded magazines - separate from the weapon - in a car. In what states and under what circumstances it this illegal?
    In Ohio if you don't have a carry permit if I recall.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In Ohio if you don't have a carry permit if I recall.

Correct, we are currently attempting to get that remedied. IF you have an AR-15 in the trunk, and a loaded mag taped to the radiator, it is a "loaded gun." But, I am not a lawyer, so take that for what you paid for it. Also, with my Concealed Handgun License, I can have loaded pistol mags, but no long gun mags loaded. There is also some debate on full speedloaders. Although it has been clarified that stripper clips do not apply (making a SKS a good car gun choice in Ohio).

I would recommend against the underfolding AK. With an underfolder you get two advantages, the first is that it reduces the overall length of the weapon. And the second is that it looks really cool.

But, you lose the ability to get a good cheek weld, and it increases recoil. In my experience, underfolders, and wire stock side folders are both terrible to shoot. If you want to go the AK route, get a good side folding stock for the rifle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Bottom line is that an unloaded long gun, with unloaded mags, and the ammo separate - is legal just about everywhere. Loaded mags for the long gun? Either not legal everywhere - or the laws are unclear...which means Officer Friendly gets to arrest you, and you can argue it out in court.

So...IMHO the best bet is to keep the long gun unloaded, and use one that can be brought into action quickly from ammo that is legally carried in its original box. An SKS can be loaded quickly from stripper clips; a pump shotgun or lever gun can have a round thrown into the chamber quickly, along with a few into the mag tube; or a coach gun which can be quickly loaded with two shells.

In any case, I do not advocate routinely keeping a "car gun" anyway, as they are too easily stolen. Only exception would be for specific threats.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Fair enough, 10th. I don't advocate a car gun, either. I have my pistol on my always, and a rifle ready to go (bagged up, with mags and support gear) that I sometimes take on the road with me, but it doesn't stay in the car like some other SHTF gear does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links