12 Gauge to 410 Adapter

12 Gauge to 410 Adapter

This is a discussion on 12 Gauge to 410 Adapter within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cool idea, comments on feasibility & dangers? (1) STEEL 12 Gauge to 410 Adapter : Bayonets at GunBroker.com...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: 12 Gauge to 410 Adapter

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

12 Gauge to 410 Adapter

Cool idea, comments on feasibility & dangers?

(1) STEEL 12 Gauge to 410 Adapter : Bayonets at GunBroker.com
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I don't think so,with the larger diameter 12 gauge barrel the shot wad won't keep the shot in a tight pattern before leaving the barrel,not to mention .410 shells are a lot more expensive than 12 ga
    mprp and phreddy like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why would you want to use a .410 shell in a 12 guage gun?

Dangers would occur if you accidentally had a 410 shell inside barrel when firing off another round. kaboom, ruptured barrel.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I wonder if these adapters have had any history of problems in the past. I know that in the late sixties you couldn't open a gun magazine and not see advertisemnts of these adapters for sale. Some were for shotguns but most involved adapters so you could use cheap pistol ammo in your 06 or other rifles.
    Has anyone ever heard of any problems from these adapters? The only issues I ever heard about involved the lack of accuracy removing the cartridge from the adapter.

Almost forgot. I have a nice 22 adapter that I sometimes use in my Sharps 40-65 that converts it into a 22 rifle. The adapter is basically a short 22 barrel insert that fits inside my 40 cal barrel. It is very accurate.

Michael

Interesting solution to a problem still in development.

Reminds me a bit of the old adaptors used for salute guns. Allowed you to fire a 12g blank in a 4" (I think) gun.

There wouldn't be an explosion if there was a .410 shell in the barrel of a 12 gauge. Nothing is holding back the pressure to cause an explosion. Now stick a 20 gauge shell down a 12 gauge and you have total blockage and the high pressure to rupture a barrel. I'm not saying its good to stick anything down a barrel just saying that it's not a recipe for a rupture.

Administrator
    They have been around for ages. I'm not aware of them causing any damage to any firearms. Might prove useful as a SHTF conversion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    These work just fine.

Home

You can do 12ga to .38 .357 - 12ga to .45acp - 12ga to .22Long Rifle etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I wonder if these adapters have had any history of problems in the past. I know that in the late sixties you couldn't open a gun magazine and not see advertisemnts of these adapters for sale. Some were for shotguns but most involved adapters so you could use cheap pistol ammo in your 06 or other rifles.
    Has anyone ever heard of any problems from these adapters? The only issues I ever heard about involved the lack of accuracy removing the cartridge from the adapter.

Almost forgot. I have a nice 22 adapter that I sometimes use in my Sharps 40-65 that converts it into a 22 rifle. The adapter is basically a short 22 barrel insert that fits inside my 40 cal barrel. It is very accurate.

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They have been around for ages. I'm not aware of them causing any damage to any firearms. Might prove useful as a SHTF conversion.
    I learn something new EVERY TIME when I get on here, even if everybody else knew about it 40 years ago! I can see having the 12ga to .410 if you're deer hunting and you only have buckshot but, if camping, late in the day you want to get a couple of squirrels for supper.....OK, I thought about that, "just bring a couple of #7's with you". Anyway, the adapters could come in handy.

It is generally not a good idea to have ammo that is small enough to fall into a barrel. 12-20 20-28 28-410 are garranteed kaboom situations but any obstruction even a small piece of dirt can rupture a barrel. I have seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

If you are hunting with a 12 gauge do not have 20 gauge shells in your bag, and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Cool idea, comments on feasibility & dangers?

(1) STEEL 12 Gauge to 410 Adapter : Bayonets at GunBroker.com
    Most 12 gauge to .410 shot shell adapters are very safe and are Machined from Alloy steel that will allow the conversion of your 12 gauge shotgun to the fire the .410 caliber shot shells. By merely pressing the .410 cartridge with your finger, into the adapter you can then then insert it into your shotgun just like a shot gun shell, would load into your break action or pump 12ga. The purpose of this adapter will allow you to hunt small game with your current 12 gauge shotgun. Another application would be for training a youngster or the lady of the house using a 12 gauge shotgun with the recoil greatly reduced. You can also buy enough inserts to cover you magazine capacity so that you can keep the gun fully loaded. ..... Or...... Turn your shotgun into a high power rifle! Endless caliber combinations are possible! How does this soun: 1 shot gun, 10 different calibers? It is a great shtf weapon! I just ordered one today! Nov. 3, 2013. From FireQuest.com for only $14.99 on sale! 12ga. To .410 but as a added bonus, you can fire a.45 long colt to! So, people were asking, why would you want to do this? 3guns in one for only $14.99 for starters, LOL! That's just what I have done. Have a good day folks.

Sponsored Links